Christopher Nolan's OPPENHEIMER

I want to see this. Maybe look at the IMAX times next week.
Was telling my parents about it, but my Mom saw there was nudity and sexual scenes, something she really doesn't like at all.
She really hated that one scene in Titanic, which was pretty tame.
So she said she won't care to see this movie, but suggested maybe I should go see it with my Dad, since he dealt with Nuclear powered submarines that also had plenty weapons. Not sure if they carried a nuke itself or not.
Just wondering how much of these sexual stuff is there, and would it be weird watching with my Dad, or is it really more brief?
I know the news can make a big deal out of something that isn't always even that bad.

I want to see this. Maybe look at the IMAX times next week.
Was telling my parents about it, but my Mom saw there was nudity and sexual scenes, something she really doesn't like at all.
She really hated that one scene in Titanic, which was pretty tame.
So she said she won't care to see this movie, but suggested maybe I should go see it with my Dad, since he dealt with Nuclear powered submarines that also had plenty weapons. Not sure if they carried a nuke itself or not.
Just wondering how much of these sexual stuff is there, and would it be weird watching with my Dad, or is it really more brief?
I know the news can make a big deal out of something that isn't always even that bad.
I'd say it's pretty tame. A couple scenes where a woman's breasts are shown (one during sex and then one where she's just sitting in a chair) and then there's a sex scene in a chair but used in an artistic way to demonstrate another character's perspective. None of these scenes last very long, the longest being a few minutes at most. It's not really necessary, but I didn't find any of it obscene at all.

I'd say it's pretty tame. A couple scenes where a woman's breasts are shown (one during sex and then one where she's just sitting in a chair) and then there's a sex scene in a chair but used in an artistic way to demonstrate another character's perspective. None of these scenes last very long, the longest being a few minutes at most. It's not really necessary, but I didn't find any of it obscene at all.
Kinda what I was thinking.
I know my Mom still won't care to see it, but I'll see if my Dad would like to go.

Drove a couple hours today to see one of the limited engagement showings on film. It was surreal to hear the projector noise again. The mix in this theater was good and we could hear everything.

Really enjoyed it. It was a beautiful film, good story, and the 3 hours went by pretty fast. The entire weekend there was sold out.

Surprised there aren't more reviews here. I wasn't thrilled. I don't think the movie matched the trailers. The trailers led one to believe there would be more suspense and thrills. Not so much. Movie spends way to much time in Congressional hearings. And for what? His security clearance? Maybe if the stakes were higher. But history is history I guess. They could have spent much less time in Congress. I think the race with Germany and Russia to build this thing would have been way more interesting than watching an hour of Congress try to pin Oppy as communist. I don't know. Maybe I need to watch it again. All I know is I spent 3 hours in that theater and only saw 1 atomic explosion. And not even the real one, err, two.

Saw it last Sunday. There were a couple of scenes that I could have done without (if you've seen the movie, I think you can guess which ones), but I enjoyed it overall. PREDICTION: Cillian Murphy, Emily Blunt and Downey, Jr. will all be nominated for an Oscar and MURPHY WILL WIN.

This movie is a serious dud IMHO.

It's basically 3 hours of OP not getting his security clearance, then defending why he should get it back and then not getting it back. His personal issues as a womaniser, clashing with the military and trying to get the world to agree to an nuclear arms agreement feature but it's all so pedestrian and the reason why is because his story is average at best. Yes he lead the program, but what's so thrilling about that...??...Nothing in particular.

The story is an interesting documentary, but it's hardy high drama. I think it's seriously overrated.

The worst part is the first test of the bomb is just so uninspiring...loud music and some balls of fire. Nothing like the real thing at all.

Quite a disparity in opinions of this movie on this site. Going to see it in a couple of hours to see which side I take. Rotten tomatoes has the tomatometer (professional critics) at 94% and the audience score at 92%.

TazMan2000

This movie is a serious dud IMHO.

It's basically 3 hours of OP not getting his security clearance, then defending why he should get it back and then not getting it back. His personal issues as a womaniser, clashing with the military and trying to get the world to agree to an nuclear arms agreement feature but it's all so pedestrian and the reason why is because his story is average at best. Yes he lead the program, but what's so thrilling about that...??...Nothing in particular.

The story is an interesting documentary, but it's hardy high drama. I think it's seriously overrated.

The worst part is the first test of the bomb is just so uninspiring...loud music and some balls of fire. Nothing like the real thing at all.
Must saynI agree with you on this. Saw it for a second time and came away more inclined to say that it just isn’t for me.

Oppenheimer had an “interesting” life that just doesn’t translate to an interesting film in my opinion

I just saw it. I was impressed at Nolan's vision and how he brought it to the screen. Even though we all know that the Trinity bomb did go off at Los Alamos, tension was expertly created up to that point. The only thing bad I could say about the movie wasn't really about the movie itself, but the presence of Jack Quaid. It was just too close to him appearing as Boimler on Star Trek - Strange New Worlds, that it took me 'out of the moment' when watching the movie and all I could think was Boimler smiling and giggling. There was some mumbling in the movie, so I agree with that opinion.

It's not one of those movies I'd watch again, but for the sake of history and especially the way Oppenheimer was treated afterwards shows how easily it is for someone to find something bad about a (generally) a good person, and exploit it. I'd definitely recommend anyone interested in history and biographies to go see this movie. If you expect Batman type of experience, you're going to be disappointed. But if you can appreciate some of the latest Clint Eastwood directed movies, I think you'll like this. The acting by all was exemplary.

Pay the extra couple of bucks and see it in a theater with reclining chairs due to it's length. There is some nudity and sexual activity in the movie, just so you know, so perhaps leave the kids at home...not that they will be at all interested in going to see this.

TazMan2000

The trailer inspired me to search for Oppenheimer interviews.

For those interested, here's part of a 1955 interview with Edward R. Murrow about the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton.

I particularly enjoy his choice of words when speaking.
It's a shame that few present-day high profile individuals don't have the capacity for refined language.
OK, so I diligently read all the posts before saying this, so please tell me if I am not the first to say this and that someone else already noticed it. On page one Pepperbone links this video of the real man, not a recent movie clip. Minus a few slang terms or casual conversation phrases, his diction, cadence, and overall voice are a very near match to Mr. Rogers. Watch the clip again but look away and just listen. It is uncanny.

OK, so I diligently read all the posts before saying this, so please tell me if I am not the first to say this and that someone else already noticed it. On page one Pepperbone links this video of the real man, not a recent movie clip. Minus a few slang terms or casual conversation phrases, his diction, cadence, and overall voice are a very near match to Mr. Rogers. Watch the clip again but look away and just listen. It is uncanny.
Yup!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back