Cheapie Rubie's First Order Stormtrooper mods - FINISHED!

Re: Cheapie Rubie's First Order Stormtrooper mods

I was tempted not to do anything about the mic tip 'receptacle' that Rubies decided should be a massive gaping cavern in the front of the helmet...but I just couldn't resist! So I cut it out,
View attachment 770738
and filled and reshaped it. This is it now with the original mic tip temporarily wedged back in.
View attachment 770750

Now sprayed a coat of primer on to check for any areas that need more attention. It's not looking too bad so, after a few minor tweaks, I can get on with replacing the vents or toggle catches or whatever they are on the top.
View attachment 770753
Where can I get the Mic top receptacle for the first order Stormtrooper helmet?

Where can I get the Mic top receptacle for the first order Stormtrooper helmet?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. By "mic tip receptacle" I was referring to the hollow section in the helmet where the mic tip sits. On the Rubie's helmet it was much too big and so I partially filled it with epoxy putty.

Are you referring to the mic tip itself perhaps? If so then I'm sure there'll be something in the Classifieds section or eBay. I'm using my original Rubie's mic tip, suitably modified and tidied up.

It's a while since I updated this - been waiting for some decent weather so I can get some painting done. Anyway, here we are with the white paint on and polished and just starting masking up for the first round of black.
Rubies-Mod29.jpg

First black areas painted. Looking closely at some Celebration photos it looked to me as though these areas are fairly matt whereas the 'mouth' and 'eyes' areas are high gloss. So this is the matt (actually slightly satin) done. Masking up for the gloss bits is the next job. :)
Rubies-Mod30.jpg

Great job man! It's funny how similar your situation is to mine. I also picked up a Black Series Hasbro TK and have a two-piece TFA helmet. My thought was to replicate it out of foam but I think I will make an attempt at modding the two-piece like you have here.

Also, I was diagnosed with a herniated disk at 18. It's lower back and pinches my sciatic nerve (right leg). Now I'm 29 so I've been living with it for 11+ years; it's annoying but usually I don't even notice.

Thanks for your message SnowRocker. I must admit I've been terrible at updating this thread as I've recently finished the painting and declared this project finished (finally!). I'm on holiday in Canada at the moment ("Hello!" to any Canadians reading this, I love it here!) but will be back in the UK in a few days so will upload some finished photos then.

I'm quietly pleased with how it's turned out so, despite some doubts, was worth the effort I think.

As for your herniated disk, you have my sympathy. It is, literally, a pain in the arse! Mine is lower back too but affects my left leg. I can usually recognise the early warning signs now though and smash down anti-inflammatories to fend off too much major trouble before it takes hold. It works most of the time!

Well, I'm calling this done so, as promised (but a bit late), here are some photos. I haven't done anything with the inside yet but will fit some pads shortly to make it wearable.

Here are some before and after shots showing the original Rubie's helmet and my efforts at improving and enlarging it.

Front view,
front-before.jpgfront-after.jpg

Side view,
side-before.jpgside-after.jpg

Rear view,
back-before.jpgback-after.jpg

And here are a few closer shots of the finished thing,
Rubies-Final-1.jpgRubies-Final-2.jpgRubies-Final-3.jpg

This has been a long drawn out project but thanks for the interest that you folks have shown - it was the encouragement I needed to carry on and complete it.:thumbsup

Last edited:
Well, I'm calling this done so, as promised (but a bit late), here are some photos. I haven't done anything with the inside yet but will fit some pads shortly to make it wearable.

Here are some before and after shots showing the original Rubie's helmet and my efforts at improving and enlarging it.

Front view,
View attachment 835325View attachment 835324

Side view,
View attachment 835327View attachment 835326

Rear view,
View attachment 835330View attachment 835329

And here are a few closer shots of the finished thing,
View attachment 835336View attachment 835337View attachment 835338

This has been a long drawn out project but thanks for the interest that you folks have shown - it was the encouragement I needed to carry on and complete it.:thumbsup

This is extremely well done! Bravo!

Might there be any chance you'd be willing to snag another of those sample sheets and send it my way here in the US...? I'm working on one of these and Rubies' even worse "deluxe" two-piece Phasma helmet of the same scale. I have a crap-ton of mesh from another UK firm (that would only sell by the full sheet) of the right size for a full-scale First Order Stormtrooper, but looks noticeably too big on these buckets...

--Jonah

Jonah, do you still have any of that excess mesh that you'd be willing to part with?

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back