Cheap training remote alternative (alarm clock)?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by pandatrooper, Mar 14, 2012.

1. pandatrooper

pandatrooper Well-Known Member

Just found this online. No N. American retailers yet, but I'm sure there will be soon.

I'm not sure how accurate this is in terms of size as I'm not an expert on the remotes but always wanted one. I figured a mold can be made to cover the clock?

https://www.frontlinehobbies.com.au...Wesco Star Wars Jedi TrainingBall Alarm Clock

Training remote experts, please chime in. Been looking for an affordable kit for a long time, maybe this is it! :)

2. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Doesn't look completely round to me. More ovoid, plus is the bottom attached to that base or would you have to replace that too? Otherwise, looks kind of cool.

3. Mara Jade's Father

Mara Jade's Father Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think that is a photoshop'ed image for concept purposes and not the final product.

When I first saw this earlier today, I first thought that it might have been an early leaked image of Thinkgeek.com's annual April Fools fake products. But since the websites have nothing to do with thinkgeek and people are taking pre-pay, it seems to be a legitimate product.

But like I said, the current image looks like they used either an image of an MR remote and manipulated it... so I intend to wait till the item is stocked to see if there are any differences.

Here is what I believe is the original image:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Nobby

Nobby Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think you're absolutely right!

5. pandatrooper

Good catch Mara Jades Father!

Does anyone know what the diameter of the original screen used prop was?

6. Mara Jade's Father

If you check out Frank Cerney's page Training Seeker

He used a diameter plastic halves. Cerney and jedi remote props go hand-in-hand because as far as I know, he is the guru when it comes to research on this particular prop.

7. pandatrooper

Awesome hanks. Always wanted to learn more about these!

8. SirJediKnightTim

SirJediKnightTim Well-Known Member

9. Mara Jade's Father

I like it for what it is. Appearance wise, I think it would benefit from some weathering for a ANH look instead of the pristine AOTC look.

10. shenphong

shenphong Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It pretty much came out to what I imagined it'd be. I've seen "nerf" alarm clock type products and at least hope this would last. Can't see myself having one but would make a nice gift to one of my buddy's kids who'd love to throw their alarm clock in the morning.

11. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

A re-paint would help, but still would be greatly lacking...

12. Force Commander

Force Commander Well-Known Member

For some reason I expected to see one of these in this thread.

13. Transcoder

Transcoder New Member

these remotes/clocks are widely available now and i think they are made of some kind of foam rubber (to withstand being thrown at the wall)
    the pictures on the net at the moment dont look too bad and ebay sellers are selling for around 18-19 pounds. has anyone on this site purchased one? with a bit of weathering could they be made to look like the master replicas training remote? its hard to tell from the pictures on the net how fine the detailing is.... can anyone help please?

14. Transcoder

Transcoder New Member

this is a follow up to my last post... the detailing isnt that good and falls way short of the master replicas version and the excellent scratch build models here on rpf...should have know really :facepalm