Chappie 1:1 scale head replica

For people who are wondering if they can get their hands on a 1:1 scale Chappie head; yes.

I'm going to make molds and duplicate the parts in PU resin. You can get a do-it-yourself kit with all the parts in it.
You will only need to clean-up (mold flash etc.), assemble and paint him. You might need to add some stuff yourself like the gauze on his eyes and
mouth parts, as well as some LED's but it will be a complete set.

The molds might take a while for me to complete, so please have a little patience.
This is my first large scale project that needs duplication, but the silicone and PU resin has already arrived.

Hi, I know about acetone vapor smoothing, I have chosen for this method for a couple of reasons:

1) ABS warps like a mother and is hard to print large objects straight, bend edges, cracks etc... ABS is not my thing at all and I avoid it whenever possible!
2) My mancave is not so big, so the fumes would drive me away, especially because the printer is running almost 24/7 to complete this project.
3) With acetone vapor, the whole look is going to be "melted" as the acetone will eat away all sharp edges and little details.

These are the reasons why I have chosen for spray filler and sanding. It is a bit more work, but the finish is way better. ;-)
But thanks for sharing anyway.. when it comes to 3D printing I have enough experience as I'm working for a company which designs and builds 3D printers.
I'm a designer in the R&D department. ;)

Grtz,
LOL, well I certainly underestimated your experience, maybe someone else will pick up on the info though. I didn't actually find a melted look, I was able to retain sharp edges with pretty much no sign of the original layering. Using a Dimension Elite which layers pretty fine.

Thanks for the info with ABS though, I'm not up there with all the printing materials properties. Warpage mitigation could be something we can look at with our cheaper printers by exploring different materials. Pretty sure we're using ABS on the cheapies.

Anyway, cheers and thanks for sharing your knowledge! :)

Nice CAD model. I see you're using Solid Edge. For future reference, you can easily get a screen grab by using the built-in "Save as > Save as an image" function.

Hi all,

sorry for the delay, I had to get my drivers license, my girlfriend is pregnant and we are planning on getting married
this year as well.. so a lot of personal stuff going on and Chappie kind of got on the back burner for a while. Sorry.

But today I moved on a little by finishing my little vacuum chamber:
IMG_6070.JPG
The bottom plate is glued and needs to dry before I can start her up.
I also started on making some little parts ready for casting:
IMG_6069.JPG
So hopefully I can test my chamber and start making some molds this week. (I have a very busy schedule)

Grtz,

Hi all,

It has been a while and this project is taking too long, as I know some of you are realy excited about Chappie and want to see him finished rather sooner than later.
My apologies again, in the meanwhile our son Liam has been born. And as you can imagine, he has taken away a lot of mancave hours.
But now everything has settled a bit, so I am happy to inform you I'm going ahead full steam again! Yééééé!

I have started making the first molds of some little pieces to test out my home build vacuum chamber
to de-gass the silicone. And it is looking great.

Molds 1.JPG

Three done, only 20 or so to go ;)
Meanwhile I have noticed a VERY BIG mistake I made, the side cover on my Chappie head only has 6 screw holes instead of 7. Damn!
Cover error.JPG
This one can go in the trash, I have printed the correct ones out last night, and this weekend I will be sanding and filling the new ones
untill they also are ready for molding. I have assembled the two halves of the head together and will be adding
bits and pieces which can be molded in one go. I am planning on rotocasting the head for obvious reasons.
Head assembly.JPG
I have never rotocasted anything, so this will also be an exciting experience.
I promise I won't keep you guys waiting so long anymore, and will push this project as fast as I can.

Grtz,
David

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back