Challenge for you guys

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My friend Kato-san and I are looking for a kit that was used in a MaK scratchbuild that I think was also used in a Space 1999 vehicle build:

Tamiya 1/35 Torpedo Boat "Polaris"

Any one ever even heard of this kit?

Originally posted by moffeaton@Jan 21 2006, 12:18 AM
My friend Kato-san and I are looking for a kit that was used in a MaK scratchbuild that I think was also used in a Space 1999 vehicle build:

Tamiya 1/35 Torpedo Boat "Polaris"

Any one ever even heard of this kit?
[snapback]1163686[/snapback]​
A quick search of Yahoo. Japan and Google Japan turned up bupkis. :confused

This is a kit that was used in a build for one of the screen-used Space 1999 vehicles? So we're talking a kit from the mid-1970s?

Okay. I found a photo of the box art. It's the size of a postage stamp, but it's a start.

[attachmentid=6111]

The photo appears on a site that lists the parts needed to do (what I assume must be) the very Ma.K. buildup you mentioned, and the kits in which those parts can be found. Here's the page:

Ma.K. "Schenkel" Parts List

The page shows shots of the box art from the many kits used in the buildup. If you scroll about halfway down, you'll find the tiny picture of the Polaris box. Click on the blue buttons to the right of any picture and you'll see where and how the parts from each kit are used. According to the site, the parts from the Polaris are used for the Schenkel's rear gun turret.

In the column to the extreme right of each picture, there is a note about the associated kit. The note for the Polaris says that it's no longer in production and very difficult to find. According to the author of the page, he first learned of the existence of this kit through a BBS modeling site.

It seems, according to information at the top of the page, that the list was compiled from information published in the October 1982 issue of Hobby Japan.

Hope this helps. :D

{EDIT} Image removed to free up global space.

Ding. that's where I saw it too.

I thought it was used on a Space 1999 model too, but I guess it's a PT boat and not a sub, per se:

"The Infernal Machine

Gwent was in 33cm and 16cm sizes and built by Martin Bower. Large sections were built for the Eagle and moon buggy lift. The large Gwent was made from a motorised aluminium tube built by Nick Allder, with hardboard steamed over by Bower. It was difficult to roll, and was broken by a frustrated Nick Allder after filming completed.

Bower built the three laser tanks on the chassis of Tamiya Chieftain tank kits (with electric motors to drive the tracks) and parts and decals from a Polaris submarine kit. They were 33cm x 15cm, and the guns were manoeuvrable. The one with the Eagle-like nose lost the rear entry hatch (from the 2001 moon bus) when Bower used it to make the travel tube for Into Infinity. The one with the bubble cockpit and sloping nose has had a new front section to the barrel attached after the original was broken at Alton Towers. The two Gwents and three tanks were built by Bower in 12 days."

Jason,

You still need to know about this 'Polaris' kit?

I know this is an old thread, but I can help with some of your Space:1999 laser tank questions?

Maybe?

Rob.

Thanks! I found one of the Polaris PT boats in Japan for $200USD... then a buddy found one for a LOT less in Osaka. I am set!

Good enough! I was wondering about it from this part of your post. The Polaris mentioned in that quote is not a PT Boat, so I wasn't sure you were set.

Rob.

"The Infernal Machine

Gwent was in 33cm and 16cm sizes and built by Martin Bower. Large sections were built for the Eagle and moon buggy lift. The large Gwent was made from a motorised aluminium tube built by Nick Allder, with hardboard steamed over by Bower. It was difficult to roll, and was broken by a frustrated Nick Allder after filming completed.

Bower built the three laser tanks on the chassis of Tamiya Chieftain tank kits (with electric motors to drive the tracks) and parts and decals from a Polaris submarine kit. They were 33cm x 15cm, and the guns were manoeuvrable. The one with the Eagle-like nose lost the rear entry hatch (from the 2001 moon bus) when Bower used it to make the travel tube for Into Infinity. The one with the bubble cockpit and sloping nose has had a new front section to the barrel attached after the original was broken at Alton Towers. The two Gwents and three tanks were built by Bower in 12 days."

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back