CGI ANH Stormtrooper and ESB Darth Vader

Great work :thumbsup & that turntable.mov link is real hypnotic, it's had me going back for a couple of more views :) just one quick question, if your going for the hero theme is the brow a little high?, this could be my poor perception though, my eye's are'nt as good as they once were.

Great work, I wish I had the talent to do that, For the Hero, remove the bottom scew below the square piece on the ears. With that brow I guess you are going for the Han look as Lukes touches the top of the eyes. I agree with what has been said the Tears look wrong to steep and squashed. Get it wonky and the jobs a good one.

Kudos

Tony

Thanks for your comments everyone. Even though a couple of people want to see this as a stunt, I'm definately going for a Hero helmet. Most of the reason is because that's how I remember troopers like when I was a kid - and I think most non-experts will agree on troopers having bulbous eyes. Besides the stunt domes are just too rough - people will probably think I did something wrong in the render.

Here are some quick replies to some of you:

oldken: Ah, so they're called 'traps' :) I will soften them up and raise them a bit, I was afraid they might be too deep. I totally agree on the symmetry issue. It's really time-consuming making imperfect things in 3D, and time is money as everybody knows. But I was surprised they went for symmetry on the new physical Vader mask. Can't wait too see how the new CGI series will look though. If he's able to experiment more freely in the series, like the Clone Wars cartoon, it might actually be good.

NoHumorMan: You are absolutely correct. Your black lines are where I placed the raised portions of the vocoder. I think it's the flat lighting that makes it look weird. It will hopefully look good once its painted.

Ramiel: Thanks. I'm very proud of my too short Hellboy animation myself. Really hoping I can find time to continue on it one day :)

Zenwalker: Thanks for the tips. I will take a look at the dome and ear caps. Looking at photos from the film, I guess the entire dome is too tall for a hero helmet.

Stonky: Great model. My strength is in shading and lighting, so I really look forward to getting to that stage.

Chris08234: The thought actually struck me this weekend. Maybe I should send it off to somebody like http://www.3darttopart.com/ and make myself a small trooper mask for my desk. However, doing a model for rapid prototyping creates some very strict requirements, like water tightness, which would compromise the model too much.

Bagpus3: I've actually moved the brow up and down myself quite a bit when doing the model. With the brow down it definately looks more hero, of course, but then the dome starts looking like a top hat. Needs a bit more tweaking for that to work, but I think it will end up with a low brow in the end.

TonyRB: Didn't know about the screw - thanks.

Thanks again. If it's OK with you I might return with more images as I go along. Let me know if that's inappropriate for this forum.

Cheers, Rune

This is very impressive work. I have always hoped someone would attempt an uber accurate rendition of the Stormtrooper armor in 3D.

I agree with the observations others have made about tweaking the model and with all the assymetrical details in place, this will be too cool.

Please keep up the excellent work and keep us updated, I am very eager to see your progress with this.

Tbh... just a personal thought... why not make two versions - a symmetrical and the asymmetrical. Or would that be too much work?

Looking forward to more.

Updated helmet!!

I have been thinking about this helmet for years, wanting to update it. I finally had the opportunity to make it more accurate, and I hope I might have the helmet complete before the premiere of The Force Awakens!

So here you go, my newest update. The shape itself is a lot closer, but still needs some small tweaks. And of course it needs to be painted. When that's all done, I hope to have one of the more accurate CG helmets in existence, haha!

trooper_superrune_wip.jpg

trooper_model_ongrey_front.jpg

trooper_model_ongrey_side.jpg

Let me know what you think! Cheers!

Your art here is amazing! What talent we have here. The only two things I'd say are, cut down the glossiness in your renders just a tad. And I do believe that the blue stripes that go on the sides are not indented at all. Those who know for sure, correct me if I'm wrong please.

Looks great supperrune. Couple of things that stand out to me (but take with a pinch of salt because well, you know, even though you're specifically shooting for a hero there is still room for debate on absolute specifics, right?!)
1. Thickness of ear pieces in front view seem a bit much to me, making this feel smaller scale than lifesize?
2. Overall height in front view just a smidgen too squat....maybe?

Nitpicking to be clear, looks great. Love the subtleties like the slight bend of the rubber forehead strip at the ends.

First of all .. very nice model!! I had fun trying to nit pick it! :)

Here's what I see : there's something wrong with the eyes .. they're too small and too round! Check those pics:

anhhelm1.jpg original_02.jpg replica_00.jpg replica_02.jpg replica_06.jpg stop_that_ship_2.jpg

Thanks for the references and great feedback! And its the nitpicking that I love about this forum, that's why I'm posting here and not in some 3D forum.

I have started to paint the model, tweaked the eyes a bit and also looked at the shininess. It's still much to clean, but getting there I hope. And I noticed a big mistake on the number of ear stripes. That will be fixed too.

trooper36_superrune_wip.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back