Cetacean - The Man From Atlantis submarine - Completed

Re: Cetacean - The Man From Atlantis submarine - Help

Good grief! Might as well sculpt a tiny in scale Patrick Duffy coming out of the airlock while you are at it. ;)

I hope you plan to do the exposed portion of the bay as opposed to the tunnel as the rock face gives the model a nice organic compliment. I personally prefer seeing the Cetacean more in an open ocean environment as opposed to being cooped up in a bay as it is exploring as opposed to being parked.

But, I realize it is your model of course. I'm sure whatever you do will end up blowing us away anyway. :D

I hope you plan to do the exposed portion of the bay as opposed to the tunnel as the rock face gives the model a nice organic compliment. I personally prefer seeing the Cetacean more in an open ocean environment as opposed to being cooped up in a bay as it is exploring as opposed to being parked.

This is true...it'd be similar to having a starship Enterprise model encased in a drydock framework.
But I agree with JM in that whatever you decide to do, crackerjazz...it's gonna knock our socks off! This thread is, after all, the Gold Standard of knocked-off socks! :)

Thanks, guys : )

Now that you mention it, I realize the landing strip + tunnel will make the dio huge (more than 18
inches long).

001Cutoffmountain.jpg

What started the landing-strip plan was that I found the completed dio too plain - with the ship
skimming the seabed too low and the model not being able to turn enough to showcase the
propeller bell housing. So the other day, I sliced the mountaintop off. I planned, too, of putting it on
a rotating round base. But then I realized it would make the lighting more difficult if I plan on
using a wall-wart. It wasn't a bit later with this sight of the decapitated mountain before me that I
heard myself cry out "What have I done!"

002Rebuilt.jpg

In the end I gravitated back to the original dio but with the ship tooling along the seabed a bit higher.
I redesigned the mountain to make it look more like that eerie, dark, Marianas Trench scene and
not just looking like some mountain on dry land. Now at least it looks more like the first time Mark
Harris sees the ship passing above him.

003Repainted.jpg

As it stands the model has a nice, manageable footprint - the ship at 8+ inches and wooden base
at 9". So -- I don't know, guys -- for some reason I want to leave it as is before I started making
it worse. Just wire up the battery holder and switch and move on to another project is what I'm
leaning to. The ship at least has a better range-of-motion, swivelling better to show front and rear.

I know the feeling: knowing when to quit is tough. I've got about three potential scenarios with my current build, only one of which I'll be able to do. And I need to decide before I get there to make certain allowances for the possibilities.

In your case, crackerjazz, you did a great job on the new mountain. :) I liked the other one just fine, but seeing the mysterious-looking contours of the new one adds a lot of atmosphere. Not to mention rock formations which do seem consistent with the look of ocean depth. Rocks like that on land I could picture only on the moon in 50's sci-fi!

Well done, Crackerjazz. You were starting to over-think the display; that final shot looks like it's just about perfect.

Just amazingly perfect.
But a tiny Mark Harris behind it WOULD be kinda cool... just sayin'.

I like this new mountain better. A large dock dio would have been pretty cool, but would have drawn its focus away from the Cetacean IMHO. Here, the dio base compliments it nicely. It does the job without overpowering the model since the story is the sub, not the dock (a dock yard dio tends to be the story).

You know, with mountains here and asteroids elsewhere, I am seeing a pattern beginning to emerge. :D

Just amazingly perfect.
But a tiny Mark Harris behind it WOULD be kinda cool... just sayin'.

That reminds me of a time back in the late 80's, when I was in NYC, poking around Forbidden Planet (I miss that store!). Anyway, I was looking through the Star Trek stuff and I spied upon small pewter figurines of the crew. I was amazed at the Scotty one, this little (maybe 1 1/2 inches tall, tops) figure looked EXACTLY like James Doohan! Pretty amazing work at that scale!:eek

Thanks, guys - your inputs have been very valuable. So, I think I'll settle with this base. It would be really nice but a real challenge to sculpt the Mark Harris it might end up looking like a toothpick guy with my sculpting skills :) Jay - that only means I've got lots of spare styrofoam laying around the house :)

That reminds me of a time back in the late 80's, when I was in NYC, poking around Forbidden Planet (I miss that store!). Anyway, I was looking through the Star Trek stuff and I spied upon small pewter figurines of the crew. I was amazed at the Scotty one, this little (maybe 1 1/2 inches tall, tops) figure looked EXACTLY like James Doohan! Pretty amazing work at that scale!:eek

I believe those were the FASA gaming miniatures. I've got a set of those from Wrath of Khan sitting in my basement somewhere. I agree, the likenesses were incredible for what they did. A Mark Harris for THIS diorama would be positively TINY though and not really worth it. Having his mug on the placard would probably be fine in showing what series it was from.

I believe those were the FASA gaming miniatures. I've got a set of those from Wrath of Khan sitting in my basement somewhere. I agree, the likenesses were incredible for what they did. A Mark Harris for THIS diorama would be positively TINY though and not really worth it. Having his mug on the placard would probably be fine in showing what series it was from.

Those are indeed the ones, JM! Thanks for jogging my memory!

That store was just great, one of those places you could easily spend an entire day! I liked it more than that big toy store uptown..hmm, what was the name of that one..?:cool

The Man from Atlantis line was only ever done as toy prototypes. They never made it into production from what I can recall. Common practice back then was to do mockups and shoot photos for catalogs for store chains to consider ordering to help judge the market response before green lighting a toy project.

A companion piece with a Lotus Esprit submersible would also be kinda cool and time-period appropriate. :D

Thanks, guys!

I'm calling this model done. The big 'un has the wrong sphere sizes to make the 38-inch studio scale so I balled up that project. As for this litte one I've completed the wiring, battery compartment (under the base) as well as the switch. As to photos of the wiring underneath I'd rather not post any - behind the scenes is not always best-looking. But the lights function and the wiring is all hidden at least (until you lift it up). So here are some last photos. Thanks for all your support for this project.... concentrating on the little Falcon now.

001LightSwitch.jpg

004View4-1.jpg

002View1.jpg

003view2.jpg

004WithFalcon.jpg

Cetacean meets Falcon.

I can't believe I missed this thread!
Fantastic stuff and very resourceful! Well done!

I remember the show fairly well, and also remember trying to swim like Pat Duffy! lol

Doug

Glad to see the Cetacean done. Pity the big one got parked, but I know one day you'll resurrect it when some new resources become available. You were certainly motivated to finish this one as you got it done before your ESB Falcon diorama I see.

A most sincere "THANK YOU" for bringing the rest of us along for the ride!

I hope I get to experience this one day: an actual, honest to goodness finished build!

And this one was great fun to watch happen. Thanks for that! :thumbsup

Yay!

Congratulations on a job done and a job done well. I'm with JMChladek about seeing a big one eventually, but this was a very cool thread.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back