Cetacean - The Man From Atlantis submarine - Completed

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by crackerjazz, Oct 30, 2011.

1. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Haven't got the balls yet (the materials, I mean) but I'm planning on building
    the Cetacean submarine built by Gene Warren (?) for The Man from Atlantis.
    I don't know if a lot of you will be able to relate but one of my biggest dreams as a little kid was to be able to swim dolphin-style like the Man from Atlantis and look at the imaginary webbing between my fingers. That - and to own a toy of that submarine. I didn't even know what it was called. I don't recall hearing it mentioned in the show or maybe I just wasn't listening. Visuals affected me more than dialogue back then.

A local store has these big Christmas balls on their display racks and I can visualize the submarine on my workbench. But before I purchase the balls I wanted to ask for some advice. The only few sources on the web mention the length of the studio-scale ship being 38 inches. If I were to use 8-inch balls and 2-inch passageways, that makes it 38" excluding the propeller housing. But the passageways look longer so that the balls should be smaller.

In the photo below the balls look no less than 10 inches tall. Then the 4 balls alone make 40 inches. And with the passageways the submarine length is an easy 48". I tried my best to estimate the size - and with Gene's hand (is that Gene Warren himself?) at 4" wide approximately, that second ball he's working on seems more than 3 hands wide - more than 12" inches tall. So I'm really confused as it's mentioned it's the only model built for the show which means -- that auctioned prop was it. I would be really happy if anyone can share any other info on the Cetacean. Maybe someone here actually worked on the show (wow!!!) ? Or if the collector who won that prop can share photos and dimensions that would make me truly grateful.

[​IMG]

I read they filmed the prop dry in a smoke-filled room to simulate the deep-water environment but someone mentioned the pilot episode was filmed wet which makes it a real RC sub (cool!) - it did look like it was moving underwater under it's own power in the show.

Submarine miniature from The Man from Atlantis

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FSM Board: MAN FROM ATLANTIS Submarine Found

Patrick Duffy - Man From Atlantis Pilot - Part 4 of 7 - YouTube

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. ewokus

ewokus Well-Known Member

Re: Cetacean - The Man From Atlantis submarine - Help

That ship is way bigger than 38" - I'd estimate the ball diameter to be 12" -14", making it a 6 foot+ long ship easily - hard to know for sure, if the model maker is a little guy, or average, or 6' 4" will make a difference on scaling the ship... There's great shots there, and a really accurate replica could be made in any scale you want. Hope you get your dream model made - good luck!

3. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We need to identify the watch that guy is wearing, and then go from the there...

j/k, but I think that ewokus is right, the spheres are much larger than 10". They are twice the size of the guy´s head, so that´s at least a 50cm height there since an average head is about 26cm high.

4. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

One possible scale reference might be the white bulb used in the front light housing (and maybe the two side ones). It looks like it might be a flashlight or a car headlamp bulb (it seems to be spherical, not conical). I'll bet it was something off the shelf anyway.

5. seven

seven Sr Member

I would guess that the spheres are around 1'-6" (18") ea. If that cartoon cross section is drawn to scale then I would put it's length around 8'-4". Again using the cross section as reference, if the miniature was 3' long, then the spheres would be around 6.5" dia.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  6. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks guys you may all be right. He seems to be working on that orange "sensor" (?) on the second sphere so it does look like the sphere's a foot or slightly more than a foot in size. This thing's huge then and not 39" inches as the auctioneer note says - I'll have to think twice about building it in original scale - which might come close to 5 feet long.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  7. sapper36

sapper36 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are we sure we're not looking at two different models? Look at the front windows - On the auction pics they look parallel to the equator of the forward sphere. On the Behind the scenes shot the windows conform more to the surface of the sphere & slant down along an equataorial line.

Two different models would also account for the size discrepancy in the auction.

8. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks, sapper36. I was thinking more like the shooting angle would explain the windows but looking closer I see what you mean. So it seems to have been a case of having 2 models for the show - a 3-footer and a 5-footer, the first one for RC and the bigger model for beauty shots. I was led astray by the auction's caption saying "This was the only submarine of its scale created for the show and was used throughout the series". Man, the identical paintjob could fool you right off the bat. Teaches me to pay good attention to all the details.

I guess I could list the differences of the 5-footer as (1) front windows arc downwards (2) shape of part on top of conning tower slimmer (3) Holes in spheres (which I thought were just patched up because those orange "smoking-pipe"-like things broke off) (4) shape of parts underneath spheres slimmer (5) cap over the front headlight. (6) Size of side headlamps smaller.

When I first saw behind-the-scenes photo I thought those G-clamps in the back were extra detailing. Funny how anything could be made to look like anything in sci-fi. They could have used it in the show and still I would have said Wow!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  9. sapper36

sapper36 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I actually built this sucker at about 3' long when I was a kid. Used balsa & styrofoam spheres working from that cutaway diagram you have that was printed in starlog. Fun times. This would be fun to build about 2 - 3 ft long - fill up the shoppong cart at plastruct & you could almost be done!

10. 8 perf

8 perf Sr Member

Just threw the cut-a-way drawing in Sketchup. Assuming you wanted to build a 38" model from the front to the back of the prop guard, the spheres come out to be 6.877 inches in diameter. If you did not include the prop guard in your measurements, then figure on 7.2 inches. Hope this helps.

If you had spheres at 1 foot and 18 inches respectively, that puts the model without prop guard at 63.3 inches and 95 inches. 60 inches is 5 feet and 96 inches is 8 feet! Big model! :)

11. ewokus

ewokus Well-Known Member

I'd find either 6" or 7" dia. spheres and do a nice 3+ footer of it - plenty of space to add lights to it as well. If I had the time I'd probably make one just for the heck of it - I've done an 11 foot Speeder Bike, so this is small stuff for me. : )

12. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks for the measurements, 8 perf :)

Hi Ewokus, an 11-foot Speederbike, wow! Do post your Cetacean here when get around to building it. There are a lot of gray areas on this ship (hmmmm....it's all gray :)) that I want to find out more about.

I finally got these to start building the 38-inch. I debated about the 5-footer. Nothing like a really big model in your living room but then it would be as long as the couch. Someday, perhaps. I'll try to learn from this build first. This is what my wife saw this evening as she exclaimed "Are you serious? You're not going to hang those big balls on the tree, are you?" I still haven't told her what they are for - she'll think I'm wacko, although she probably does already - preparing for Christmas this early.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  13. joez2391

joez2391 Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

cool idea using the christmas balls! this is gonna be a really cool build

14. jockdeboer

jockdeboer Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

15. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks, guys! Started sanding the spheres and dremeling off the stems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three more to go. Nothing like some nice relaxing hobby time on a Saturday night, when you're not worried about getting up early for work the following day.

16. Joseph C. Brown

Joseph C. Brown Active Member

Great build so far! :thumbsup

The pics of my scratchbuild used to be up on the Subcommittee site, long ago... a quick troll of my computer's archives gave me these; I've got more pics - including my Cetacean's current battered condition - but, I did mine when there were only bootleg VHS copies of the show for references, and the Starlog pics:

17. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Hi Joe, so that famous photo of a scratchbuilt Cetacean was yours! Can you post all of the photos you have? I'm getting as much inspiration from scratchbuilds as the real props. The design was so simple but easily recognizable and the detailing so sparse I'm sure it prompted a lot of scratchbuilds. I know it captured my imagination as a young kid back then - I thought it was a real ship.

18. Joseph C. Brown

Joseph C. Brown Active Member

Thanks for the kind words! I love what you are doing, as it is making me think of an updated build for my self :cool

It will take a day or two to dig thru boxes of old model pics, but I will scan and post what I find, along with that model's current bashed-up appearance.

19. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Averaged the entrance and exit point diameters of the passageways and measured in relation to the ball. Got tube diameter as Ball diameter x 0.43. Wish I knew a better way to measure using the angled shots of the prop; I hope this is close.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two down. I wonder if I could attach those foam core sanding blocks to the electric sander.

20. Alan Castillo

Alan Castillo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good luck with this project ! Love the idea :) :thumbsup

Oh the amount of rubber gloves I tore up trying to imitate that.

That, and the amount of times I almost drowned trying to 'swim' like him :lol

21. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks, Alan. :) I hope I do justice to the 38-inch prop.

This gold Christmas ball gets my respect. It put up a good fight, long and hard, to the last round, that I just had to take a photo of that last patch of gold paint. My fight with the red ones were easy - I'm glad I had two of those. The green one was a TKO. But this gold one was a valiant warrior to the end. I think its paint had twice the thickness of the red ones and kind of harder too.

[​IMG]

Now that that's over I can work on the spheres in earnest. With good "tooth" they're ready for the primer. But first, the holes and windows.

Freshly washed and squeaky clean:

[​IMG]

22. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

I am GLAD these are plastic. When I first saw pictures of them, I thought they were glass and I was going "He's not seriously going to try to use THOSE to make the sub, is he?!" Great idea to use them BTW as the size should be perfect when done (not too big, not too small). Do you plan to wire it up for lights in the front?

BTW, there is ONE theme song you need for this build thread...

Big Balls by AC/DC. :D

Hmmmm, how about a "Big Balls" themed Man from Atlantis video featuring the Cetacean. ;)

23. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Active Member

Thank you so much for doing this. Man From Atlantis was my absolute most favorite show back then. I would have loved to had a good model of this and still would. I am looking forward to your build.

24. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks, JMChladek - it's been a long time since my soldering iron has seen service, but lights will certainly make this model come alive - I'll try to search for some flashlight bulbs for this scale.

[​IMG]

Thanks, CaptainDave1701 - I will see to it that this model gets completed - I'm notorious for leaving projects hanging whenever I get stuck, but seeing how this is one has a relatively simple design (I hope I don't end up eating my own words) - it might just be the scratchbuild to redeem myself :wacko.

[​IMG]

Scribed passageway hole:

[​IMG]

Took headlight dimensions.

[​IMG]

Marked cutting lines for headlights and windows. The trammel I bought for use with the Falcon plating sure proved useful.
    [​IMG]

25. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

You know, it is kind of weird of Cetacean seems to have a 2001 Discovery vibe going for it. In fact I can sort of remember the first time I saw scenes from 2001 as a young kid (after watching a few Man from Atlantis episodes) I seem to recall kind of wondering why the Cetacean was flying through space. ;)

Instead of incandescent bulbs, I would go with warm white LEDs and maybe place them in smaller clear spheres to give that bulb look in the light housings. That way, you can cut down the voltage needed to power them, reduce the complexity of the circuit and also use light sources that essentially don't burn out easily.

26. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Good idea, JMChladek - will look into that. Started the openings for the headlights. Where's my reamer - I just know it'll pop up when I don't need it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lee S likes this.
  27. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Guys, I'm thinking about the 38-inch prop if I should go for the unevenly opened windows - seemed like someone was in a hurry with the rasp, maybe it was past his shoot-off time. If I made perfect openings, then I wouldn't be happy knowing it wasn't screen-accurate. But then if someone were to look at my model, then they would say I was sloppy. I'm thinking that sometimes, though, it's the sloppiness that gives a model character and that "human touch". What to do...?

[​IMG]

28. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Well, that is always going to be a judgement call whether to build it better than the original, or do it just like the original. My own personal judgement when doing models is to try and make them a little better. No matter what we build, there is always going to be a little variation from the studio model anyway as we might not have access to exactly the same materials used for the original (or better ones are available) or there might be a lack of references to say one way or the other on how to detail something. Granted I have tried to strive for getting it as close as possible, but if I can correct something that seems a little sloppy to me, I tend to do it.

But of course, it is your model and you can always do it however you want. I'm sure it will look great in any event.

29. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your own "human touch" will be leaving its own mark anyway. Do your best. :)

30. Contec

Contec Master Member

you could always build two, one version as the studio model and one nice and pretty.

31. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Active Member

Just got my Christmas Balls from K-Mart so I can start mine...

32. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it. It certainly helps a lot having all your inputs to weigh out the pros and cons. CaptainDave1701, that's great - looking forward to seeing your build and please post lots of pics!

This is one build I'm really enjoying myself. The only thing about it is that now, everytime I see a ball, I see a potential Cetacean sphere. It's driving me bonkers. Like these ping-pong balls, for instance. I couldn't resist but visualize them as a little model. These were throwaway ones - discarded because they don't bounce well, so I might as well put them to good use. I'm still waiting for some materials for my 38-inch, so I'll spend a little time on this little critter in the interim.

[​IMG]

Slightly less than the official 40mm. I knew it wasn't my playing! :) Ok, I admit it, it's not the size of the ball - I need practice. But we need to look harder for those really nice japanese Nitakku ones to use at the ping-pong table. For the little Cetacean, though, these will do just fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  33. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

The tube cutter's itching to do his job.

[​IMG]

But first, the front ball. Opened up the headlights and windows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

34. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

I never knew ping-pong balls had air in them. Before drilling a hole I stick a compass needle into it to make a pilot hole, and air hisses out. Couldn't read the brand but looks chinese - maybe it's just this particular make? Anyway, I had better get back to the bigger model.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  35. hemrie

hemrie New Member

Nice start.

This brings back memories - I loved that show.

36. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks, Hemrie.

I'll soon get back to the bigger one, but the smaller model draws my attention at the moment. Tried to get the passageway sizes right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

37. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

Hmmm, I wonder how close in scale your ping pong ball Cetacean might be to one of the Seaview or seaQuest kits out there. I know the sub wasn't too big since the center ball interiors were the set pieces. I like this little creation as it makes a nice mini project.

I'm also wondering (and this is not a knock on the model) if the thing will float and dive if you fill a channel with baking soda and stick it in a fishbowl. ;)

38. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks, JMChladek. You just gave me an idea. The little one would be nice in an aquarium :)

[​IMG]

Scribed the windows and rubbed with a felt-tipped marker to show the lines clearly before I sawed them out as pencil lines easily smudge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

39. Captain Finney

Captain Finney Member

Love that ship...Like a submerged Discovery.

40. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks, Captain Finney. Working on getthing the right passageway dimensions.

[​IMG]

It's gonna be a long ship:

[​IMG]

I want to get the conning tower placement right.

[​IMG]

41. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Gotta be careful in cutting the tubes - no room for second attempts as I've just got enough : )

[​IMG]

Got the motor - the ship's propeller spins rather slowly in the series. I hope I got the correct rpm motor.

[​IMG]

It should look good with search lights on - if I don't screw up, that is.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  42. ArcLight

ArcLight New Member

I'm new to the boards and saw this thread and had to pop in and say "Cool!"

Also, at the risk of breaking protocol, I thought I should make sure any interested parties knew that the entire MAN FROM ATLANTIS series (including the original TV movies) is available on DVD from the Warner Bros. Archive.

Looking forward to see how these builds progress. (and love the aquarium idea)

43. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Hi ArcLight, thanks and welcome to the board! I'm glad you like the thread - hope to make some progress with this build soon.

44. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

[​IMG]
    Got the urge to carry on with the ping-pong Cetacean build after so many months : (. Made some foil-covered paper cones.

[​IMG]
    Wasn't too happy as only the middle part of the cone lights up. The full opening needs to flash
    that beam. I figured something transluscent would be good to show the cone when not lit and for
    the light to fill up the whole opening when lit up.

[​IMG]
    So I carved up a piece of dowel to a cone.

[​IMG]
    Made an impression on a bit of 2-part putty.

[​IMG]
    Heated up some plastic on the stove and pressed some cones.

[​IMG]
    Trimmed to size.

[​IMG]
    Sanded to remove transparency. A little more trimming should do the trick.

[​IMG]
    Will make some fake bulbs for the middle of the cones and the whole opening should light up
    nicely with the LED behind it.

45. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

I almost forgot about these jewels. Glad to see you are back at it!

46. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks, Jay : )

[​IMG]
    Walked up to the stove again to form some fake tiny bulbs.

[​IMG]
    Trimmed to size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I need to find a way to line the inner walls with foil to prevent light bleed-through. The only access,
    though, is the small passageway hole in the back.

47. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

What about just coating the inside of the spheres with silver paint? You could slosh it in and the paint tends to do the light blocking job just fine in my experience. You can also overcoat the spheres in silver before putting the basecoat on for it to do about the same thing.

Only way I can think of to get foil in there is to wrap some around a small balloon, thread it through the hole and inflate the balloon (then deflate the balloon and pull it out leaving just the foil). But you will still need to find a way to anchor the foil to the insides. I think the paint method will still work potentially just as well.

48. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks again, Jay. I'll check to see if I have a good bottle of silver paint.

[​IMG]
    My olfa cutter couldn't cut rings this small so I used a needle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Prepared the edges for bevelling with some Apoxie Sculpt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I really like the stuff because it's so easy to soften and smooth out with water.

[​IMG]
    Front sphere windows and headlamps bevelled.

[​IMG]
    I'll do the same for the round windows.

49. LMFAOSchwarz

LMFAOSchwarz Sr Member

What a neat little build! And you're doing a great job of it! I love the fact that it's lighted, too!
    I really like the idea of tiny models: I've been thinking of tackling some when I finish my Space:1999 Eagle.
    Small models are great, especially if one is limited for display space!

50. crackerjazz

crackerjazz Sr Member

Thanks LMFAOSchwarz :) Your Eagle build is astounding.