Celebrity jerks?

In my limited experience:

The best: Karen Allen...over the top friendly.
The worst: Jonhnathan Frakes...acted like we were a burdon.
Didn't know how to react: Maria Shriver and Arnie when I bought them each a hot dog at Disney World.
Sexiest: Alice Kriege...grabbed my butt.
Most stuck up: William Shatner
Funniest: Adam West

I've never been to a ComicCon (and really don't have a desire), but these are not the places to meet a celeb and see their true personality. What a horrible place it must be for them, like a cattle call. I know some enjoy it, but knowing how moronic the public can be, you never know if what mood they are going to be in when you walk up to the table because of the guy who was there just before you.

Question about Ferigno: Is he totally deaf, or partially deaf? Does he need to read lips to get your question? Does he have a hearing aid that allows him to hear?

Since there seems to be a number of people that had a bad encounter with him, I wonder if it could be a difficulty with understanding people? It could be pretty difficult to distinguish one voice from another in a crowded hall, if he is listenng through a hearing aid.

I've met a few celebrities, mostly musicians, a couple of actors. Mostly had very good experiences.

Christopher Reeve, back in the early 80s when I was a kid. He was very nice, seemed very humble and gracious.

Edward James Olmos at Dallas Comic Con this year. Walked up to his table and told him I didn't want anything signed or a picture, just wanted to tell him how much I'd always enjoyed his work on Miami Vice back in the day. He was stunned, and thanked me.

Vincent Price, when I was maybe six years old. He seemed so much cooler than my grandfather.

Last year, met Anne Lockhart (Sheba from BSG) at AllCon. Got her to take a picture with my big giant gun, then gushed all fanboy for a few minutes about how incredibly gorgeous she is. She handled it very well.

Lars Ulrich (drummer for Metallica) is a ******-nozzle. I was backstage at a show and he was one of my idols at the time. I told him I was a drummer too, and how much I enjoyed his work, and he asked me for my backstage pass. Whoops, I didn't have one. He told me he was going to get security, and stormed off. I ended up chatting with Dave Mustaine (from Megadeth) for almost an hour after that. Never did get thrown out. Dave was a great guy.

Dimebag Darrel (excuse me, Lance Abbot) was also a gigantic tool. Almost got in a bar fight with him at the Beagle in Dallas several ears ago. Apparently, I was standign in his spot. Security did throw me out that time.

Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx, both very polite guys. Kept telling me not to drink so much.

Question about Ferigno: Is he totally deaf, or partially deaf? Does he need to read lips to get your question? Does he have a hearing aid that allows him to hear?

Since there seems to be a number of people that had a bad encounter with him, I wonder if it could be a difficulty with understanding people? It could be pretty difficult to distinguish one voice from another in a crowded hall, if he is listenng through a hearing aid.
Or he is still bitter that he could never quite topple The Oak.

I haven't heard anything about him being hard of hearing. If so, it doesn't excuse the incident I witnessed, though; there were only five of us in the immediate vicinity and no one was really talking at the time.

Dimebag Darrel (excuse me, Lance Abbot) was also a gigantic tool. Almost got in a bar fight with him at the Beagle in Dallas several ears ago. Apparently, I was standign in his spot. Security did throw me out that time.

Yours is the first I have ever heard about from Dime. Everyone I know that has either met him or worked with him has said nothing but great things about him, and that he would go out his way for fans. Disappointing to hear that you had a bad experience.

I also met Lars, and he was pretty chill, but I have heard many other instances of him being less than cordial.

Slightly off-topic. Frank Herbert was flying from LA to Seattle and Dad met the plane. After everyone had gottten off Dad noticed something left in the seat pocket; it was Franks manuscript for "Dune". He was very happy to have it back as he said it was his only copy. No reward though.

If it was the manuscript, I'd say the reward is the fact that the public got to enjoy possibly the best work of science fiction ever. ;)

I've never been to a ComicCon (and really don't have a desire), but these are not the places to meet a celeb and see their true personality. What a horrible place it must be for them, like a cattle call. I know some enjoy it, but knowing how moronic the public can be, you never know if what mood they are going to be in when you walk up to the table because of the guy who was there just before you.

Exactly. I mean, obviously you appreciate people who can "put on a happy face" and remain gracious, but good lord, what an awful way to make a fast couple thousand bucks. Granted, yeah, they're making a fast couple thousand dollars, but I think if I was rubbing elbows with the hoi polloi for a day, doing nothing but smiling and signing autographs with goofy phrases on some of them, after a while I'd go a bit mad myself and would probably be a bit short with people.

I've met a few celebrities, mostly musicians, a couple of actors. Mostly had very good experiences.

Edward James Olmos at Dallas Comic Con this year. Walked up to his table and told him I didn't want anything signed or a picture, just wanted to tell him how much I'd always enjoyed his work on Miami Vice back in the day. He was stunned, and thanked me.

I've always suspected that if you approach a celeb and talk about their REALLY old stuff or stuff that they'd figure NOBODY knew they were in, they'd appreciate it because it'd demonstrate that you're not just a fairweather fan. Plus, you know, talking to them like a human being and being polite with them rather than demanding something from them (as asking for an autograph might seem -- however innocuous it might seem from our side of the transaction).

Lars Ulrich (drummer for Metallica) is a ******-nozzle. I was backstage at a show and he was one of my idols at the time. I told him I was a drummer too, and how much I enjoyed his work, and he asked me for my backstage pass. Whoops, I didn't have one. He told me he was going to get security, and stormed off. I ended up chatting with Dave Mustaine (from Megadeth) for almost an hour after that. Never did get thrown out. Dave was a great guy.

I'm surprised Dave didn't say "Don't worry. They kicked me out too, and look how I ended up!" ;)

Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx, both very polite guys. Kept telling me not to drink so much.

Given that they're the voices of experience, I'd heed their advice. ;)

yea I meant Ernie Hudson. I guess I must have called him Winston when I met him hahahah.

My only celebrity meeting went like that.

I ran into Sonja Sohn, who played Shakima "Kima" Griggs on The Wire. I was wandering around Philadelphia with my dad, and we were walking back to the car. This was on, like, the 1600 block of Walnut for anyone who knows the city. Anyway, I'm walking along and I'm at the corner of the block when I hear this familiar voice say something like "I just said '**** that'..." to her friend. I instantly recognized her voice and turned around to get a good look at her. I confirmed that it was her, walked up to her and said "Excuse me." She said "Oh! I'm sorry--" as if I was saying "excuse me" for her swearing. I said "I LOVE your show. Really, just one of the best shows out there today." She laughed, said thanks, and I went on for a minute or so saying how top notch the writing and acting was, and just thanking her and the rest of the cast and crew for putting on such an incredible series.

Meanwhile, my dad is wandering off blissfully unaware. I call him back, and he wanders back looking slightly annoyed and confused as to why I'm talking to this random woman on the street. I said "Dad, this is Kima from the wire!" She takes off her large-frame sunglasses and sort of half smiles with a "Yeah, it's me..." kind of look (my sense was that she genuinely appreciated being recognized, though). My dad -- who was a fan of the show himself -- sort of had this "Oh ok. that's nice" kind of look on his face. I said "Anyway, thanks again for the show. Really, just wanted to say it's great work all around."

At any rate, she struck me as a very down-to-earth gal who was slightly bewildered, but also amused at having been "recognized."

It was only after I was back in the car that I realized I'd completely pulled the "fanboy" maneuver of referring to her by her character name. Still, she seemed friendly and nice.

Anyway, I think if I met another celeb, I'd just try to talk to them like a normal person. If I was commenting on their work, I'd probably limit it to the quality and/or difficulty of the acting they'd done (IE: "That must've been a hell of a scene to shoot") rather than going all super-nerd fanboy (IE: "When the Venusian slavers had you chained to the nuclear bomb, what went through your mind?").

Frankly, I'd never want an autograph (well, unless they offered) or even a pic, really. I'd be happy enough for a pleasant conversation.

I've met a few celebrities in the con environment, and more back when I was a working actor (1976-1987; I left the entertainment business when my MS was diagnosed.) For the most part, they were nice, genuine and friendly.

The best: Julie Newmar: very, very sweet and polite and friendly; Dan Aykroyd: one of the nicest guys on the planet; Jeremy Bulloch: extremely kind to my then-very young daughter and willing to spend time chatting with everyone. Bruce Campbell: a real down-to-earth, just nice, nice guy. The kind of guy you'd meet in line at a Burger King. Leonard Nimoy: met him in 1973 when I was in college and the student union brought him to talk Star Trek and show the episode "Amok Time." He took the committee out for a beer afterwards and spent hours with us talking about his early days in show business. At the end of the evening he gave us all little souvenirs and signed autographs on bar napkins. (I got a dilithium crystal.)

In the comics community, Howard Chaykin and Jim Starlin are real gentlemen. Gil Kane, rest his soul, was one of the nicest men I have ever met. I treasure the Green Lantern sketch he gave me. And Amanda Conner and Ramona Fradon were just as nice as you could hope.

The worst: Martin Lawrence. Always surrounded by his posse. We extras were warned not to try to speak to him or to even make eye contact. Major ass.

Another ass: Tom Hanks. I know he has a rep as a real nice guy, but I happened to be standing on the subway with him in Philadelphia and I decided to give him his privacy. (I'm not a big autograph person; meeting someone and telling them that I admire their work is usually more than enough contact for me.) Hanks was not giving off a vibe like he wanted people around. He caught me glancing his way and said something to the effect of, "Yeah, it's me; what, I'm not good enough for you to ask for my autograph?" I said, "no, thank you" and got off the train.

Finally, Stuart Whitman. I worked as an extra on one of his last pictures. He was always late, always drunk, and always abusive.

Last edited:
Michael Bay is a big jerk face. I worked for him for 3 days and he totally yelled at me and a bunch of other people for tiny little things. Most people I talked with said they would not want to ever work with him again. he had to "ok" all the girls before hand, then during shooting he said they all looked like whores, he actually yelled it--at them. You ok'd them dude, sheesh.

Thomas Lennon (Lt Dangle) was SO nice and cool. He even made a jokey pose with me when I asked if I could have a pic taken with him. He wears aviators in real life. LOL

Too Short, the rapper was really nice, and really well, short. A friend of mine was a big fan but too shy to say hi, so i went up to him and said a friend really wanted to say hello. he was in the middle of a conversation with his buddy too and did not get all hissy that I interrupted. He talked with my friend for a good half hour.

ernie hudson gave me a free autograph. a hug and a hearty handshake. i tell you, i never ever though i would be so starstruck next to him, but i was turned into a blubbering mumbling mess. as much as i really loathe dan aykroyd for running his mouth about false rumors for ghostbusters 3, im pretty sure id go blubbering dimwitted should i meet him too.

my second favorite encounter was with the shepard from firefly, ron glass is the coolest guy ever, very kind, and totally cool to talk with. i asked him how he liked working on the cosby show, but it had been so long since ive seen it, i mistook him for the grandfather on the show. fortunately, he knew who i was talking about, and laughed heartily and was shaking my hand and was like "i know him, we're great friends! i got to tell him that!"

David Carradine with a wicked hangover was no picknick. At ChillerCon a decade easily back he didn't even look at the people he was signing for. I overheard two security guys commenting on how drunk he was the night before and how he hit on every women in the bar. Total slob.

Robert Vaughn also couldn't be bothered to express any humanity whatsoever after accepting your cash. He looked like there was a bad smell in the room (it was you, ahle).

Total sweeties with sugar on top: Cassandra "Elvira" Peterson. You think she looks good on TV, as we say in Noo Yawk: Fuggetaboutit! You'd better have both hands free to stuff your tongue back in your mouth--yeah, she's that hot ,and, boobs out to here, she's so sweet you'll want to take her home to meet your mom.

Yvonne Craig, Batgirl from the campy 60s TV show, another one. So nice.

Veronica Cartright, from Twilight Zone as a kid and The X-Files, Betty Grisom in The Right Stuff. Great gal.

Jeanette Goldstein (sorry for the spelling), Aliens (Vasquez) Near Dark, T2, couldn't be nicer.

Cynthia Rothrock. Doesn't look like much on screen but a knock out (no pun intended) in person.

Kevin McCarthy. God rest his soul, a sweet guy.

Joe Turkel: Lloyd the bartender in The Shining and Tyrell in Blade Runner. Had great conversations with him about Kubrik. Priceless.

Stella Stevens. Talked to her about working with Peckinpah. Just great.

I had a solid experience with Dave Prowse years aback. His hip was obviously bother him and during our chat I offered him Tylenol, and he just thanked me up and down. Couldn't hve been nicer.

More later.

A few years ago I was taking crowd pics of the con to show friends and I happen to scan a "old hack" table....you know , the types that show up at cons trying to sell their pics and signatures when they were on some dead show and their only tv appearance 20 years ago. Well as my camera passed this table some old bag from some B TV show saw me taking pics and was holding her hand up blocking her face and looking at me...even though I wasn't even trying to take her picture. I don't even remember what show she was on.
Anyway I walked up to her and told her " honey don't worry I'm not going to take your picture..frankly your just not that important"...and walked away while she gave me a dirty look.

A few years ago I was taking crowd pics of the con to show friends and I happen to scan a "old hack" table....you know , the types that show up at cons trying to sell their pics and signatures when they were on some dead show and their only tv appearance 20 years ago. Well as my camera passed this table some old bag from some B TV show saw me taking pics and was holding her hand up blocking her face and looking at me...even though I wasn't even trying to take her picture. I don't even remember what show she was on.
Anyway I walked up to her and told her " honey don't worry I'm not going to take your picture..frankly your just not that important"...and walked away while she gave me a dirty look.

Seems like a dick thing to do. Maybe she was just shielding her eyes from endless flash photography. You sound worse than anything any of the stars in this thread supposedly did.

Yeah that wasn't cool. Some of these celebrity actions are despicable, but try to think about someone who has dealt with people who want to talk to them about one part in one movie for 20 or 30 years.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back