CC X-Wing Returns!

Thank you so much for this post!!!! I missed this kit the first time around, and I might have missed it again if I hadn't seen your post.

My order is in!!!

I just received my kit today, and all I can say about it is AWESOME!!! This kit is a real beauty. Top rate casting which looks like it will require very little clean up.

If anyone is on the fence about this kit, grab it while it lasts!!! You won't regret it.

X-Wing%20Parts.jpg

Still plugging away on mine. I can't wait till it's finished. I just need jadesdarkheart to keep going on his so I can know what I need to do next!

Seriously, check his website casue it will help you out.

http://www.blockheadpictures.com/

JDH, I'll be ordering a Tie fighter soon, are you going to throw anything up on that on your website?

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>JDH, I'll be ordering a Tie fighter soon, are you going to throw anything up on that on your website?</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

As a matter of fact I will be doing a write up of Steve's SS Tie. I just got it in last week and started washing all the parts on Monday. I will be adding a page about it pretty soon. My webpage is a constant work in progress but I appreciate the compliments
icon_smile.gif

I can say this, if you want a really good primer for the real thing, build one of the Fine Molds X-Wings. I learned allot by building that little ship.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>I just need jadesdarkheart to keep going on his so I can know what I need to do next!</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>
I am sufficiently shamed into updating my page thank you sir
icon_razz.gif

JDH

What are you guys doing for a base??

Great tip, JDH. Maybe I will follow your advice and do my FM X-Wing first. I have no worries about the assembly of the SS X-Wing, just the weathering.

I think I am going to grab one of those SS TIE's myself. How much are they?? I haven't heard from Steve yet.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>What are you guys doing for a base?? </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>
I was able to get my hands on one of Ronaldo Gutierres' bases he did. I don't know if you can even get these anymore.

I would PM Steve and email him. I know right now he is either already shipped out, or about to be shipped out on assignment with the military. Just have some patience with him as his work is well worth the wait.

Here is a picture of the base I am using.
base2.jpg

JDH

I was hoping to shame you into updating it! j/k

I'm building one out of black phenolic so I can have all my electronics at the bottom and just run the wires for the engines and all the fiber optic stuff through the support. Plus I'm going to get a case made for it. The valley is too dusty of a place to let this beauty sit uncovered.

Looking forward to the Tie write up.

And yes, the fine molds X-wing is a great idea. I built two before I attempted the CC X-wing. It really helped me to learn how to weather the paint.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
wakeboardjedi wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>

And yes, the fine molds X-wing is a great idea. I built two before I attempted the CC X-wing. It really helped me to learn how to weather the paint.

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Any painting tips would be appreciated (hint, hint).

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Any painting tips would be appreciated (hint, hint).
Good Grief where to start. I primed it with flat black thinned way down. Used Testors Camo Grey as a base color. Mottled the paint using Tamiya Sky Grey and white mixed at different ratios.

Once main body was done I coated it with Future, then I applied the decals. Once the decals were on used fine grade steel wool to take the shine off the decals.

After that I lightly dusted another coat of future on it. Once that dried I used india ink and alcohol to weather it. The great thing about this method was if I went overboard on the weathering I could get it off with a clean Q-Tip and alcohol. Once done I went over the entire model again with Fine Grade Steel Wool.

Once it was done and I had the weathering the way I wanted it, I put a final coat of Future on it mixed with Tamiya flat base so it would not be shiny but the paint and weathering would be nice and safe under the Candy Coating
icon_razz.gif

This method works great on the Fine Molds, but for the CC X-Wing I will be using the time honored method of Oil Paints for the weathering. But everything else will pretty much stay the same.

The oil paint idea I borrowed from Alfred Wong, and the paint scheme generally came from Guntruck at:

http://www.guntruck.com/XWingFighter.html

**EDIT** Terrible Grammar

Thanks for the excellent reply JDH!! I have been out of modeling for a few years now, and I will have to kind of re-learn how to do stuff, haha. I've got a couple great books from Kalmbach Press which also have a lot of great weathering tips.

I have read about using India inks but never tried it myself. I know people also use pastel chalk but I've never done that either.

Thanks for the link to Guntruck, that's a nice site.

I don't know if you guys know this or not, but there's a couple outstanding close up shots of the Red 3 X-Wing studio model in the book The Art Of Star Wars.

Weathering is an art, not really a science. Its easy to teach how to make something dirty (swipe, wipe, or brush on streaks, runs, and drips of thinned paint; smudge with pastel chalk dust, knock down color brightness, etc.)

Any individual weathering technique can be learned fairly easy.

The key is having the artist's eye.

Knowing when the weathering is heavy enough, but not too heavy. Recognizing the specific techniques or styles used on what your are emulating. Using the right colors (browns, blacks, greys, and variations of the model's base color) to mimic the color palette of the original... When you begin working THESE concepts, thats when the artist comes out...!

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
JLinNY wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Thanks for the excellent reply JDH!! I have been out of modeling for a few years now, and I will have to kind of re-learn how to do stuff, haha. I've got a couple great books from Kalmbach Press which also have a lot of great weathering tips.

I have read about using India inks but never tried it myself. I know people also use pastel chalk but I've never done that either.

Thanks for the link to Guntruck, that's a nice site.

I don't know if you guys know this or not, but there's a couple outstanding close up shots of the Red 3 X-Wing studio model in the book The Art Of Star Wars.

Here's mine that I finished back in April of 2003... one of my favorite buildups of all-time. Weathering included pastels, oils, powder from cut open fireworks, and a candle (don't attempt this at home, kids!).

http://www.nakedbrain.com/xwing.html

I was fortunate enough to receive one of Rolando's bases to finish it off. Thanks, Rolando!

Tim

This thread is more than 19 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back