Catwoman Costume – Wizard World Portland Comicon 2015

JuJuBean

A few years ago, I tried my first attempt at a Catwoman cosplay and it was fun, but I felt like it turned out a little bit cheesy (especially the mask and belt). This build is sort of a re-working of that first attempt. I hope to get this costume to bear some sort of resemblance to my favorite version of Catwoman (drawings by Jim Lee, from Batman: Hush):

JimLeeCatwoman2.jpg JimLeeCatwoman.jpg JimLeeCatwoman3.jpg

This is kind of a quick and dirty build for me, but I'm still very excited to put together something for Wizard World Portland which is coming up in just a couple of weeks. Here's what I'm working with so far (click on the links if you want to track down any of these products):

Wet Look Catsuit:
Bodysuit.jpg

Cat Mask:
CatwomanMask.jpg
Wig:
CatwomanWig.jpg
Cat Eye Mirrored Goggles:
MirrorGoggles.jpg
Whip:
Whip.jpg

I'll be re-using my black high heels, latex boot covers, and a pair of custom claw gloves that I made last year for my Black Cat costume. I will post pictures as I put this together and will add more pics of the entire costume when it's complete. I'm not sure if the mask that I ordered is going to work because of the contrast stitching (it seems more in-line with Tim Burton's version of Catwoman in "Batman Returns"). But, I'll see what I can do with it. What I love most about Jim Lee's Catwoman is the short spiky hair that's sort of peeking out through the mask (especially at the forehead), along with the giant goggles, and the oversize whip. I'm not sure if I'm going to do the rope/whip belt design for this costume or just hold the whip. Would appreciate any ideas/input you all might have for me! Thanks!

Last edited:
JIM LEE Look, SWEET! Lots of pics please when you get it completed. Not going to Portland but I'm hoping to see you and Iron Joe in Seattle at ECC. OH the goggles are spot on!! Love em...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Rickhemingway! :D

Peek73 - I will be sure to post lots of pics and am looking forward to bumping into you at ECC!

I'm working on a similarly styled Catwoman outfit for my wife to wear to Phoenix Comicon. Look forward to watching your progress. The belt is my current focus. I'm doing a solid "cat-head" belt buckle for it.

Hey Coop, that's awesome! Best of luck with the costume you are making for your wife. Could you tell me a little bit about the belt and belt buckle that you are doing? Is the whole thing going to be stuck in one place, or are you doing the design where the belt becomes the whip when you remove it? I noticed (in "Hush"), that Catwoman's belt buckle stays attached to the catsuit at all times, but the whip is fully removable.

I'm actually kind of dragging my heels on recreating the Jim Lee simple rectangular buckle faithfully because I definitely prefer the "cat-head" design that you are doing (or no buckle at all). I don't like the rectangle buckle pieces for either the belt or the shoes in this costume design - reminds me of a pilgrim (not the look I'm going for)!

CatwomanBeltJimLee.png CatwomanShoes.jpg <-- Pilgrim buckles PilgrimMan.jpg <-- Actual pilgrim (for reference) :p

For the belt, I'm following the same plan I used for my wife's Baroness costume belt.

I used the Rubie's Batman Begins belt as a base:

And I'm making the buckle from Sculpy similar to the Sideshow Catwotwoman fig:

It's not an exact copy of any particular Catwoman style - more my interpretation with some practicality.

For the belt, I'm following the same plan I used for my wife's Baroness costume belt.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh37/somunny/10348205_10203275650805042_5835398652906400172_n.jpg

I used the Rubie's Batman Begins belt as a base:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh37/somunny/utilitybelt.jpg

And I'm making the buckle from Sculpy similar to the Sideshow Catwotwoman fig:

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh37/somunny/SDCC_2013_Sideshow_Collectibles_Wed-032.jpg

It's not an exact copy of any particular Catwoman style - more my interpretation with some practicality.

Thanks for all the info! I think my costume will end up being more of an interpretation than a completely faithful recreation as well. Will keep you posted as I continue to work on this.

Nice job on the G.I. Joe family cosplay!!!

Hey JuJu,

Here's the buckle I made - still needs paint:

I added a bottle cap "riser" to the Rubie's Dark Knight belt.

Coop - well done on the belt buckle!

You've inspired me - I think I will do a belt too. I like your idea of making it out of sculpey clay. I really want to be holding the giant whip that I bought as a prop, so what I'm thinking now is that I will use my old braided black whip (thinner and flimsier than the new one) as the belt and just hold my new whip. I tried wrapping the smaller whip around my waist and I think it will work out. I'll probably cut off the handle and finish the ends so that it looks like a braided rope belt that's reminiscent of a whip, but not an actual whip. I'm going to try to do what you did for the buckle part (cat design). Are you planning on painting yours solid silver?

I'll post pictures after I make some progress!

Last edited:
I'm heading to the craft store today to pick up some clay and paint so that I can work on the buckle, but here's a couple of pics in the meantime of what I've put together so far (wig, mask, goggles):

Cat1lr.jpg Cat2lr.jpg

Super happy with the goggles and the wig works well. I'm going to see what I can do about the white stitching on the mask (not a big fan), but otherwise I think the head-pieces are good to go. :)

:thumbsup

Just a heads-up from my experience - I tried to paint my Sculpy buckle with spray enamel. Doesn't seem to want to dry completely. After checking this out online, it appears that most people recommend acrylics.

Looking great so far!

edit - yep. Painting the buckle all silver.

Update: I made the cat buckle out of clay but it needs to be sanded down a bit and painted still:

CatBuckleUnfinishedlr.jpg

Thanks for the tip - will try to find some acrylic paint!

I'm heading to the craft store today to pick up some clay and paint so that I can work on the buckle, but here's a couple of pics in the meantime of what I've put together so far (wig, mask, goggles):

View attachment 427247 View attachment 427249

Super happy with the goggles and the wig works well. I'm going to see what I can do about the white stitching on the mask (not a big fan), but otherwise I think the head-pieces are good to go. :)

Loving the look so far!

Thank you! I've decided to try my best to add a chin strap to the mask piece... Not sure exactly how I'm going to do it yet, but I think it will make the mask look more like the comic. Stay tuned!

Thank you! I've decided to try my best to add a chin strap to the mask piece... Not sure exactly how I'm going to do it yet, but I think it will make the mask look more like the comic. Stay tuned!
Great job, so far. I'd suggest, one solid piece of spandex. Make a card stock template of how you want it to look, trace it onto the spandex. Sew it up,and voilà! If you want to stick to the vinyl look it's the same process, just leave extra material for some way to fasten it. You could combine he two options: sew the vinyl onto some spandex, attach the spandex to the hood, make sure the hood overlaps the vinyl. That got long-winded for a suggestion. My apologies.

You can get a whip holster for cheap on amazon. It works really well. For my wifes catwoman suit i got her a tactical belt. Im still wanting to make the cat head for the buckle. Might paint it on. You just inspired me to get off my butt and do it. Lol

Here's how the cat belt buckle is looking now:

CatBucklelr.jpg

I hand-shaped the cat buckle out of sculpey clay and painted it with silver acrylic paint. After the silver was dry, I tried to distress it a bit smearing a little black paint over it strategically with a sponge brush. To the right is IronJoe's Batman buckle (which I think he got from BATIMAN here on the RPF last year). I'm going to seal the buckles with mod podge and I'm trying to think of a way to attach the whip holster to the back of mine so that I can wind the whip around my waist and have held in place with the buckle.

Thanks for the suggestions, Ozzy and Jamie! I hope to have the chin strap and holster done soon and will post pics. Comicon is this weekend, so I better get it together! :)

Catwomanw.jpg

Well... here it is put together! Finished the belt up last night with the help of the very talented IronJoe. For the mask, I made a chin strap out of some scrap black latex and sewed a snap in to fasten it. These are the boots that I decided to go with (Brinley Riding Boot by Miz Mooz):

CatwomanBoots.jpg

So excited to wear the whole thing together tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back