CAPTAINCOX Slave 1 Hasbro Mod "FINISHED"

Re: CAPTAINCOX Slave 1 Hasbro Mod

Hmmm...its possible, but it seems to stall after like 24h. I did two Batches and it reacted the same both times. It looks like ist reaching max shrinkage like after 24 h or so. In my case 10 mm. I used the Revell Tiger II as reference and it messured 90mm "wingspan" in fullsize, needed it to go down to 70mm...after the first cast it hit the 79mm mark after like 24h or so. Did a 2nd cast and it was down to 71-70mm within 20h, so I pored the resin then. I actually never tried to "accelerate" the process with heat or anything like that. In the Manual it says max 19-20% shrinkage in one go, but over 10 days...I never waited that long but.

Hi Guys

I think I got it down to where I want to be before starting the Paintjob...now the real deal starts :)

IMG_3465.jpgIMG_3467.jpgIMG_3466.jpgIMG_3469.jpg

I will start mixing the Paints using the Bandai Slave 1 Paint Guide
sw14_m0016.jpgslave1-cg2.jpg

They base their Paints on Mr.Hobby/Gunze as far as I know and I will use that as starting point, so far the best color match I found for the Slave, I am sure I will have to tweak it but.
Will post more on the colors when I am starting to mix them.

Cheers Guys.

Last edited:

I was a bit skeptical at first:behave; Hasbro Slave 1 transfo...yeah, right:rolleyes But I have to admit that I was too quick to judge. Your work at transforming that "toy" (which is no longer one) is great: despite the hurdles, limitations and challenges of the already given format you have to work with, you've managed to make that model quite the looker!
I'm now looking forward to your updates on a definitely great project:cool

I was a bit skeptical at first:behave; Hasbro Slave 1 transfo...yeah, right:rolleyes But I have to admit that I was too quick to judge. Your work at transforming that "toy" (which is no longer one) is great: despite the hurdles, limitations and challenges of the already given format you have to work with, you've managed to make that model quite the looker!
I'm now looking forward to your updates on a definitely great project:cool

Cheers joberg, I was also skeptical at first :p. As I started it sorta developed, I set out with the idea that I only need to change this and that...easy...but as I trotted along I realized that it wasn't enough and that this "toy" really has some potential to make a pretty cool Model. I guess one could start milling engine nozzles and so on...but I think to take it to that sorta level one might as well build a Studio Scale scratch build. I think the final result will be a pretty good looking "big" scale Slave 1, that is my target anyway. The Paint Job will be crucial but... :)

Hi Guys

So I did my first mask job ever using Liquid Mask. I actually had doubts using this as I thought that the patterns you can create don't really look like the patterns on the ILM model. To me it looks like ILM used tape and sorta tore off the 2nd layer of paint at random...could be wrong but it sorta look like that.

Anyway I was really surprised as it turned out ok.

IMG_3473.JPGIMG_3474.JPG
I traced the outline softly using a Led Pencil, that gives you a rough likeness to the original pattern, I think its almost impossible to get it 100% but I think I got it pretty close.
Then applying the Liquid mask, pretty tedious and in a way pure guess work, but you have to sort a imagine that this stuff covers 100% and not sorta semi covers it, I was really scared that some of the other paint would bleed through, looks like that cause the Mask is sorta translucent in places, but it really does cover. Used a sponge sparingly to sort a get those fine splatter effects.

IMG_3481.jpgIMG_3483.jpg
The first try came out like this after paint and I must say its not bad at all. Still need some touch up and correction using a brush but not that much.
Next, the Dark Green panels and the Side Bulges...will get out that ol Toothbrush for those splatter effects :)

Cheers Guys.

Last edited:

That liquid mask looks really good.....hmmm, I may have to give that a shot. I've used chipping fluid before which works pretty well if you wants that realistic worn feeling. If your shooting for the SW method though, I think you nailed it. I also discovered by accident when I was painting my Boba Fett, that painting a silver base (or whatever color you want shown through) in enamel paint. Then airbrush 2nd layer, then use painters tape to pull off random sections worked pretty sweet too.

Can't wait to see the finished paint job !

Wow, this is a very nice build and looks great! The painting with the liquid mask looks wonderful, also your scratchbuild parts!

Hi Guys

I think I got it down to where I want to be before starting the Paintjob...now the real deal starts :)

View attachment 647294View attachment 647306View attachment 647305View attachment 647307

I will start mixing the Paints using the Bandai Slave 1 Paint Guide
View attachment 647308View attachment 647309

They base their Paints on Mr.Hobby/Gunze as far as I know and I will use that as starting point, so far the best color match I found for the Slave, I am sure I will have to tweak it but.
Will post more on the colors when I am starting to mix them.

Cheers Guys.

Wow, top notch Cap'n. Im still on the hunt for a set of wings for my Hasbro mod. 4 months later nothing....:(.

Wow, top notch Cap'n. Im still on the hunt for a set of wings for my Hasbro mod. 4 months later nothing....:(.

Shame on me! I had planned on working up some patterns to allow for a more "in scale" set of wings to be fabricated for the Hasbro Big Slave 1 (HBS1) but have been sidetracked... I don't think there will be many "wings" for this coming up for sale which is strange given the numerous parts being auctioned for the 'old style' Slave 1. You gotta wonder where all those wings went...

I believe the wings could be readily fabricated from sheet, rod and tube styrene stock, given the right patterns.

Perhaps I can start on that tonight, after I get the family fed.

Regards, Robert

Shame on me! I had planned on working up some patterns to allow for a more "in scale" set of wings to be fabricated for the Hasbro Big Slave 1 (HBS1) but have been sidetracked... I don't think there will be many "wings" for this coming up for sale which is strange given the numerous parts being auctioned for the 'old style' Slave 1. You gotta wonder where all those wings went...

I believe the wings could be readily fabricated from sheet, rod and tube styrene stock, given the right patterns.

Perhaps I can start on that tonight, after I get the family fed.

Regards, Robert

Agreed, just need some measurements but it would be nice to have the originals to build upon or reference.

Your first foray into that paint job is a success! Love it to bits; keep up the great work:cool

Cheers guys!

Getting the color right have proven pretty tricky, started painting the "Green Bulges" and I am not happy with the hue...and the speckles on the port side are to dark...no matter back to mixing some more "GREEN" today...
IMG_3484.jpgIMG_3486.jpg

I used liquid masking fluid on my Slave 1 a few years back. Worked pretty well, I think.

:)

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=9205&p=140018&viewfull=1#post140018

Cheers
Thats a absolutely stunning build, the colors are in my opinion spot on!. The bar did just raise a notch or two :p

Last edited:

Thanks! Glad you like it,...

I have one of the hasbro Slave 1's and I'm watching this thread pretty closely. Trying to work up the courage to do what you've been doing! Amazing work. I look forward to see how it goes!

Cheers

Looks awesome! What paint do you use if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Guys

Update on the paint job...

First I would like to say that Liquid Mask is an absolutely brilliant product and perfect for this kind of weathering. I used the one from Valejo, it has a sort a strong green color so its easy to see what you have masked and what not, I am sure any brand might do the trick, have seen guys use the Winsor & Newton one wich is actually a product for Artwork and such, but seems to do the job none the less.

So I dug in to what I think was the most complex part in terms of masking and Color matching...the SKIRT!
I think I was mixing reds/yellows/browns and what have you till my eyes where sore from trying to match the colors from books and ref pic (none of them looks the same by the way) in the end I actually asked my Wife to check it (She is an Artist and has a pretty good eye for stuff like this) so I went for what she said for good or for bad :p

IMG_3504.JPGIMG_3505.JPG
Airbrushed on a light neutral Gray and started to mask of the bits that should later be visible, next I applied the "Flesh/Pink" tone, masked that off and finally the Rust/Brown Color ...sorry forgot to take pics of those last two steps.

IMG_3506.jpgIMG_3508.jpgIMG_3509.jpg
I think the end result is ok...I need to make some minor adjustments using a brush as I am not 100% happy with the way some of the chipping is flowing. Thats a little bit the problem when using Liquid mask...its hard to actually see what the end result will be as you are painting in Reverse if you know what I mean. I think it will be pretty easy to correct though, just needs a dab here and there. In the end I will also modulate/weather the colors using Oil anyway so all in all I am pretty happy with the result so far.

Looks awesome!  What paint do you use if you don't mind me asking?
As for the Colors I used, normally I use Tamiya but this time I actually started of with the Bandai Slave 1 Color chart (post on page 2) as a base and they use Mr.Hobby/Gunze so I got me loads of those. But in the end I mixed all kind of colors on the fly until they looked right. I tried to stick to that Bandai chart but its only good as a base. So if you ask what exact color I used the answer will be...no idea, look at the Bandai chart and start tweaking :p

In the end I will give the model a good layer of Alclad Matt Cote and that should kill anything even slightly shiny :)

Cheers Guys,.

Last edited:

I am really enjoying this project! Love the attention to detail and I really appreciate your step-by-step updates.

Perhaps a silly question: are the pencil marks an issue after you remove the liquid mask? How do you erase any remaining pencil without disturbing the paint?

I am really enjoying this project! Love the attention to detail and I really appreciate your step-by-step updates.

Perhaps a silly question: are the pencil marks an issue after you remove the liquid mask? How do you erase any remaining pencil without disturbing the paint?
Cheers!

The pencil I am using is pretty soft, this is crucial as you otherwise would leave marks. I started of with a mechanical Led pencil as I thought it wold be more precise but gave it up directly as it left marks/scratches in the paint. I guess you could simply buy softer leds but I wanted to get on with it so I ended up using a Soft Led pencil from my Wife :)

The paint will cover any lines and the lines that are under the mask can simply be removed with a soft eraser, really no problem. But dot push to hard, you only want it as a faint guide.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back