Captain Marvel (Post-release)

What did you think of Captain Marvel?

• Total voters
I saw this last night and I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either.
The biggest issue I have is that I didn't find Brie Larson had any real charisma at all - which surprised me - and in the end, I felt indifferent towards her for the most part. Her best scenes (for me) were ironically when she was replaced with a CG character because then she was truly awesome.

I feel they were trying to strike the same serious vibe the Chris Evans has mastered as Captain America but she for me, didn't come across as honest, erstwhile or serious, she just came across as bland..

It's an OK film, slow start, bit boring in the middle, but the end is pretty good. Brie is good, she's supposed to be kinda bland and unphased, she doesn't get a chance to open up or reveal another side of her character all too much. I feel they could have cut large chunks out of the middle and fluff up the third act more without losing anything.

I think I see where people are getting "bland" from. They've apparently never met many pilots. They tend to get pretty calm in crises. Brie acted the part perfectly. Trained pilot, then, after the mental hack-job, trained soldier -- sorry, "warrior hero". Considering that in the first five minutes she was banging on Jude Law's door and being snarky, I can't help but wonder if those people were watching a different movie.

It also wasn't, per one of the other things I saw leveled against it, "told largely in flashbacks", ergo confusing/disjointed. Her nightmares that she doesn't realize are memories pretty much start the film, and it doesn't take a genius to track the narrative of the painful returning of her memories going hand-in-hand with the painful return to her Humanity. I didn't find the middle slow at all. The second act is always adagio, and this one felt no slower or more draggy than any other well-told self-discovery/rediscovery journey.

There were so many goo character moments, so much good character-building, some good twists and updating of everything we "knew" from the old comics. Nice nods to potential future development. i.e....
when Maria's daughter Monica wants to go into space with Carol and Fury tells her nuh-uh -- "not until you learn to glow like your Auntie Carol". Which made me grin, as, in the comics, Monica becomes Ms. Marvel in the Avengers after Carol leaves, acquiring the powers and going by the name "Photon". Which is her mom's radio handle in this movie.

I love Goose (the cat). I love the de-ageing. It's been used before in the MCU, but never to this extent and never so seamlessly. I love the byplay between characters. I love the Skrulls. I loved seeing characters from GotG earlier in their lives. I loved Stan's cameo muchly. I love the mid- and post-credits scenes. I loved the references to things in past films that I don't know if everyone caught
i.e., in Winter Soldier when Fury says "the last time I trusted someone I lost an eye"; or when he's drafting the Initiative at the end, he's left off after Phase 1 and Phase 2 is blank

And the opening Marvel fanfare hit me hard. So many feels. I'm tearing up again remembering it. That and the "Thank you, Stan" that followed it got applause and cheers.

I don't see how anyone could think Wonder Woman was better. There is no "SJW pandering". This is a brilliant new addition to the MCU and I can't wait to see where they go from here. I need to go a few more times to this one.

And the opening Marvel fanfare hit me hard. So many feels. I'm tearing up again remembering it. That and the "Thank you, Stan" that followed it got applause and cheers.

Surprisingly this got me very teary. They made that little sequence a complete tribute to Stan and was overwhelming to me, and I really did not expect that would happen. None of this would have happened without him.

The movie was great, too! It wasn't my favorite MCU film, but like all the others it holds up well and am very much looking forward to her connection into Endgame next month.

My wife and I just got back from seeing this one. We really enjoyed it.

Not sure what the complaints are really about. Brie was wooden and unemotional when she was SUPPOSED to be. The moments when she showed emotion were when she was remembering things or actually doing something as herself (not the memory wiped soldier), and I thought that they pulled it off really well. The flashbacks were not confusing at all and there were not too many of them actually.

As to the whole them pushing some agenda, I could not agree less (actually I think that argument is demeaning to everyone involved in the project). These were strong and determined characters who were that way their entire lives. I think they captured the military attitudes perfectly.

The funny moments were well done and I think everyone did a great job with their characters. The action was great as always. I thought it was a good story and think this was a worthy addition to the Marvel Universe.

My girlfriend and I saw it today in IMAX 3D, one of my friends was there watching it for the 2nd time after going to a 2D midnight showing.
From the Marvel studios Stan Lee tribute in the logo to the final end credits scene we enjoyed every minute.
The film was well paced, Brie Larson gave a fantastic representation of Carol Danvers and her relationships with the Starforce, Fury, Monica and Dr Lawson were well rounded. It was great to see Fury and Coulson make an appearance and amazing to have the Skrulls introduced to the MCU.
I will definitely be going to see the film again.
Another hit for Marvel and well earned too.
The post credits scenes were fantastic!

I found it on par with the recent crop of Marvel origin movies - maybe ahead of Ant-Man and pushing toward Dr. Strange territory. It was tough to get into Brie Larson's take on this... I get that she was supposed to be stoic and controlled (or at least trying to be that way), but I just never really bought into it. I mean Jude Law was supposed to be cut from the same cloth and he pulled it off.

There were a few 'leaps of faith' that were taken for the plot's sake that came off as a little too convenient - but, hey... it's a Marvel movie. However, the idea that she gets her power from the Tesseract was perfect. I was concerned that they made her too powerful... and I still do - just not as much.

The de-aging for Fury and Coulson was amazing. The opening montage was the best part of the movie - the Marvel opening fanfare was simply and utterly brilliant.

While I found Captain marvel to be solid and fun, I do feel they still missed the mark. There wasn't enough exposition where it needed to be, Brie Larson just never clicked as her character.... It was still a little too routine and typical of a Marvel flick.

But, a typical Marvel movie isn't a bad thing and Captain Marvel isn't a bad movie. It's a fun, energetic comic book-popcorn movie that's solid ride from beginning to end. It's a good addition to the Marvel Universe....

...is it April 26th yet?

The biggest issue I have is that I didn't find Brie Larson had any real charisma at all - which surprised me - and in the end, I felt indifferent towards her for the most part. Her best scenes (for me) were ironically when she was replaced with a CG character because then she was truly awesome.

I felt the same way. She just lacked the natural badassery her character requires, and at times felt like she was trying too hard to be badass. One can only imagine what a more capable actress, e.g. Jennifer Lawrence or Blake Lively, could have brought to the role.

I feel they were trying to strike the same serious vibe the Chris Evans has mastered as Captain America but she for me, didn't come across as honest, erstwhile or serious, she just came across as bland..

I loved it,.....

Mark, was that your art in the Marvel 'Stan Lee' Intro?

If it was,.....great to see your stuff up on the BIG SCREEN!!

John

Higher, further, faster, baby!

Just got home from Captain Marvel and I am so happy! Carol's first outing in the MCU was amazingly solid. Lots of humor, lots of the requisite snark, and SO MANY BADASS WOMEN! No extraneous love stories, unless you count the one between best friends and Sisters from another Mister (I'm gonna definitely need more Maria Rambeau in my life). Annette Benning is amazing and looks spectacular in every scene she's in, and the buddy vibe with Fury is strong. Can't wait for them to get together again.

Last edited:
Inquisitor Peregrinus, I served 12 x years combat with some of the best pilots so I understand your point 100% - although I still stand by what I said regarding her (IMO) being bland. I believe it was more a directorial issue than with Brie herself and I'm confident the Russo brothers will nail her character as they have with all the others...

Jaitea, thanks mate. The Stan Lee tribute was raw emotion on steroids and it would be great to get that as a video clip on its own. I loved my time with Stan and seeing those images used brought back the very best memories..

Yeah, regarding pilots... I knew a Tomcat driver some years back, and, eventually, Top Gun came up. He liked it, but -- in his words -- it did have two problems: "We don't sweat in a dogfight, and it doesn't take us a week to get laid."

I think there are two main things going on with Carol -- the confident assuredness and refusal to quit that, per the flashbacks, has been a part of who she's been from day one, and why she went into the Air Force as one of the first active-duty pilots... and the doubt, hesitation, and confusion as the mindblock started to erode and she began to question her past and her self. She bounced back and forth between those, as more and more of her memories surfaced. But neither came across, to any of us who talked about it as we left the theater (not just the people I actively went with), as bland, or bad acting, or poor direction, or any of that. When she was on her game, she was the right amount of snark and cockiness. When she was off, we felt her angst.

Not saying you're wrong. It is something I've been curious about for a while and this is just the latest exemplar: Why -- what quirk of psychology or whatever -- is it that the same performance will empathically resonate with one person and fall flat (to any degree) with another?

Yeah, regarding pilots... I knew a Tomcat driver some years back, and, eventually, Top Gun came up. He liked it, but -- in his words -- it did have two problems: "We don't sweat in a dogfight, and it doesn't take us a week to get laid."

LOL, I think your friend is being blasé here. If you've ever been in an airplane taking fire, I've seen plenty of flyboys sweating.
I can't speak for his comment on being laid though..

Regarding the movie, its good to have differing opinions because we don't eat out of the same plate so its healthy. I might not have been 100% on Captain Marvel but I am very excited to see where they take her going forward..

Was there any references to Stark Industries or Howard? I didn’t see a single Stark logo. He has been selling / building weapons for the USA since WW2, Found and did the initial work with the Tesseract, Founding member of SHIELD. Not a single box or plane in the military installation was from Stark?

I enjoyed the flick, loved the Stan intro, expected the cat scratch.

Do you think the cat puked up the cosmic cube during Nick Fury’s big week? I imagine it happened while he was meeting / putting Tony on house arrest with Coulson.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back