Captain America WWII USO Shield Build Thread.

That's a great shield Looks fantastic really like the green on the back :)

At first I was going to go gray but I too Like the Green better. Plus I figured a military basic is O.D. Green. (although in this case it is "Italian Olive". Guess they don't like the word Drab when describing their product)

Very very nice! I'll use the screw and bondo method and perhaps even your technique for the leather handles.

Well done!

The real trick with the screws is to countersink them just right so they are slightly below the surface so the Bondo gives you a good smooth surface but not to far so they still have some meat to grab the shield. In my case I was using the 1/8" Masonite and 3/4 Brass Wood Screws (they were the smallest I had on hand) the screws had probably had a 1/16" or 3/32" tapered head. Not much room. I did notice that even with the bondo because I was using a water based Primer the wood Swelled out and caused dimples either that or after a bit of use the screws pulled in a hair and left the dimples. Hardly noticeable but the Gloss Paint is what called them out to me.

Wow, great job I wish I had found this thread Monday not Friday! My son and I did his with 1/4" plywood bent against multiple ribs cut from 1/2 plywood. I think we will call that one MK I and try again without the pressure of a deadline...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back