Limited Run Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Bucky's Arm

MrRoboto

[UPDATE 4/20/2016]

MAJOR LADY UPDATE:

Ladies! (and possibly smaller-framed gentlemen)! I've had enough personal, direct requests to make these in a smaller size (same design, just scaled down) that I'm going to run some tests. IF I can resize my master sculpt in an economical way, I've started an interest thread - f enough of you buy in to cover my costs, I'll make it happen!

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=259850&p=3964888#post3964888

[UPDATE 4/18/2016]

Now offering a finished, chrome-plated option! See post on Page 2 for images, or read more and contact me about them HERE:

http://www.soloroboto.com/store/winter-soldier-chrome/

FINGERS:

I've successfully finished these and cast a test set. I'm modifying them and remolding this week, and will update with a price when I'm done (like everything else, they'll be sold through my store).

[UPDATE 7/22]

Corrected the info from PRE-ORDER to ACTIVELY SHIPPING.
Added LENGTH measurement (thanks to teslamonty for catching this)
Photos of CHROME on Page 2.

[UPDATE 6/2]

Added shipping rates to this post.

FINGERS
Fingers are currently slated to be an additional charge - only 1 person has both pre-ordered an arm and expressed an interest thus far. Will update with a price when I've successfully cast some and know how much trouble they'll be.

[UPDATE 4/22]

Changing this to a LIMITED RUN.

Pricing:

Price is $300, plus shipping.

Shipping to the US and Canada is $45 and includes insurance, tracking, and signature on delivery.
International Shipping is $80 (including UK, Canada, Russia, and Australia) and includes insurance and tracking. Allow 6-10 days for international shipping. (Other countries, PM me)

Ordering Info:

As with my Star-Lord helmet kit, this will be available through my store, at http://www.soloroboto.com/store/winter-soldier

The Arm is available NOW.

This is a limited run of only 10 Arm Kits.
These will likely be the only 10 I sell.

I ship these out in batches when I have enough orders to justify making a run to the shipping center. I cast / ship when I have enough orders across ALL my kits (so the sooner you place an order, the sooner everybody's gets delivered).

Details:

The Arm is cast in 2 parts - a foream section, and a bicep/shoulder section. This allows it to "break" at the elbow and allow about 30 degrees of motion. Wearing a silver sleeve underneath hides the opening when the arm is bent.

When I finished the first one, I further split the forearm section into 2, making more room for a hand to slide into place. I backed every seam with fiberglass flanges and magnets so it all snaps together when positioned correctly, making it appear seamless.

2015-04-07 13.45.40.jpg

There's several reasons I did a hard cast, but the main one is that I can chrome plate it (yes, with real chrome), and you can't chrome plate rubber. (Other reasons include making it FAR easier to put on - no working your hand through a difficult elbow bend; that I'm more comfortable with hard materials - I can sand out seam lines and trim things up afterwards and modify as needed; and that the "hero" arm in the film was hard cast and chrome plated, while "stunt" arms were semi-rigid foam cut to size and shape for various uses, though 95% of what's seen in the final film is CGI anyway.)

I will NOT be offering a single-piece, flexible casting.

Photos:

2015-04-03 18.31.52.jpg2015-04-03 18.32.27.jpg2015-04-03 18.34.24.jpg2015-04-03 18.33.29.jpg

2015-04-02 14.16.12.jpg2015-04-02 14.16.31.jpg2015-04-02 14.16.39.jpg2015-04-02 14.16.46.jpg2015-04-02 14.17.31.jpg2015-04-02 14.17.20.jpg2015-04-02 14.17.14.jpg2015-04-02 14.17.07.jpg2015-04-02 14.17.01.jpg

Movement Video:

You'll notice he starts with it "snapped in" - that's literally just rare earth magnets and fiberglass flanges. It connects tightly enough that it makes and audible "pop" when it comes apart, and when it re-seats itself. He's able to get it locked in place on his own just by wiggling his arm around.

Fitting Images:

The client has 26" arms (measured from the shoulder seam of a tshirt, to the wrist).

2015-04-11 18.10.01.jpg2015-04-11 18.09.23.jpg2015-04-11 18.09.52.jpg

Measurements:

I measured the circumference around the outside, did the math based on 1/8" thick walls, and calculated the approximate interior circumference. So if your arm is this size or smaller at these points, you SHOULD fit (no guarantees, since everybody is proportioned differently).

UPDATED TO NEW MEASUREMENTS (7/4/2015)

Bicep: ~16 3/4"
Elbow: ~14 1/4"
Forearm (widest): ~14 3/4"
Wrist (narrowest): ~8 3/4"
Length (shoulder seam on a shirt to bend at wrist): ~26"

Last edited by a moderator:
Any give in these? I wouldn't consider myself "too buff" for it but I just fall outside of the measurements for the biceps. Guess the ideal question would be, how buff is too buff?

Any give in these? I wouldn't consider myself "too buff" for it but I just fall outside of the measurements for the biceps. Guess the ideal question would be, how buff is too buff?

The hard cast have no stretch - possibly a tiny amount of bend, but you can't squeeze more into a solid tube. I'm not positive of the actual size that will fit inside - it's really hard to measure because of the complex curves, and the fact that no 2 people are shaped exactly the same. I'll try to get a slightly better estimate shortly.

Would the flexible version crinkle up at the elbow when bent?

Anything overly flexible will crinkle, yes. A silicone or soft rubber arm will wrinkle anywhere it bends a lot.

One cast out of a semi rigid plastic like Task 12... I'm not sure. That stuff bends a lot, but it's still quite stuff, so movement would be possible but slow. I think it'd feel kind of like wearing one of those hydraulic door closing things like on screen doors - it'd fight you in every direction, but eventually it'd go where you told it.

I'm thinking these will be priced in the neighborhood of $350, based on other items I see for sale.

I'd love to offer larger ones so they'd fit more people. But since larger casts will require a new sculpt and mold, I need either a greater number of buyers, or a much higher price.

Since there seems to be some confusion as to the state of this project: the arm is finished. It's done. The photos are of exactly what you'd get. (The only potential exception would be if there's enough demand for a LARGER arm, which would require additional sculpting. Otherwise I'd just be re-molding the sculpt as it exists now.) The silver arm is painted with Alclad Chrome, and the black ones are trimmed up castings in Smooth-On Onyx, though I'd be shipping unfinished, raw casts (the same, just with some flashing).

I've uploaded the one photo I have so far of the client in the full costume. While yes, it's been shopped for effect, the arm itself hasn't been touched. That's what it looks like on a body.

I'm digging this! It looks so much better than the one I have. It may be a month or two down the line, but I am definitely interested. I'm not sure which style though. I'd like to see the one piece and the 2 piece being worn with no effects photoshopped to get a better idea of what they look like. That would probably be a huge selling point for others as well.

I'd like to see the one piece and the 2 piece being worn with no effects photoshopped to get a better idea of what they look like. That would probably be a huge selling point for others as well.

Unfortunately I can't afford to invest the time or money into making a 1 piece mold until I know there's enough interest in it.

The existing molds (there are 2 because it's cast in 2 pieces) use over a gallon of silicone. And they're barely 1/4" thick.

That said, I should be getting my hands on the finished one this week, and I'll get some photos of the client in it to post.

UPDATE:

My client came by yesterday with the arm, so I was able to get a few images of how it fits. It's amazingly hard to photograph that sort of thing...

So we took a video as well. I've updated the first post with both the images and video.

You'll notice he starts with it "snapped in" - that's literally just rare earth magnets and fiberglass flanges. It connects tightly enough that it makes and audible "pop" when it comes apart, and when it re-seats itself. He's able to get it locked in place on his own just by wiggling his arm around. He got pretty good at it after wearing the arm for around 6 hours during Wonder Con.

Also updated with accurate measurements based on the current sculpt.

I WILL be bulking out the sculpt somewhat more before I remold it, especially in the thinner forearm/wrist area (to make it easier to get on), and in the elbow joint (for a little more mobility, and to accommodate larger arms) - so those numbers will be INCREASING.

I measured the outer circumference at several points, did the math to account for 1/8" thick walls, and got an approximate inner circumference. So, for example, if you have 16" biceps or smaller, you'd fit in that section. No guarantees, since everybody is shaped a bit differently.

Most of the sculpt has thinner walls, but it's not perfectly even (it's a crazy weird shape to slush cast). And there's of course a lot of variation in the shape of the arm - the muscle physiology is a combination of replicating the film, and one of my body builder friend's actual arms. The variation in musculature between 2 people, even of the same size, is amazing.

But that should give you a good idea of if it'll fit you.

If I set the price for hard casts of these at $350, who would be interested?

(You've all basically said "interested pending price", but nobody has said what that price would be).

Interested! PM sent as well =)
I don't really know if I'd prefer hard or flex. Id have to also think about if the gap in the bend of the arm really bothers me or not. All things to think about!

I'm on my way home from Big Wow ComicFest in San Jose, where I showed the arm and took a sort of informal poll on a fair price.

I think I'm going to offer 2 piece, hard cast resin kits for $300.

To the two of you with a passing interest in one piece, flexible kits... Sorry. Between you you'd over the cost of rubber, and that's about it.

If there's ever enough interest in a one piece version, I can always remold. But for now it stays 2 pieces.

If anybody has any more input I'd love to hear it, and I'll be updating the first post (and thread title) with specifics sometime in the next week.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back