Captain America, rescue outfit WIP

While

Hi, I'm in the process of making my own Captain America rescue outfit.

313766_10150899612415497_815940496_21575222_1950520969_n.jpg

This what I have so far. The strapping is not 100 % accurate, but works so far.

I'm missing:
Sheild
Jacket
Googles
Correct helmet lining

I'm currently painting the helmet (which might be too big?!), hope the blue will turn out to be close to the movie when it dries up.

I've been looking around for a good picture of the A on the helmet. How big is it and what font? Anyone have any good ones?

Hi, I'm in the process of making my own Captain America rescue outfit.

This what I have so far. The strapping is not 100 % accurate, but works so far.

I'm missing:
Sheild
Jacket
Googles
Correct helmet lining

I'm currently painting the helmet (which might be too big?!), hope the blue will turn out to be close to the movie when it dries up.

I've been looking around for a good picture of the A on the helmet. How big is it and what font? Anyone have any good ones?
Nice job so far :thumbsup

I'm not sure about the rescue helmet, but his normal helmet in the movie is Helvetica Bold.

You're off to a great start... pretty darn close on the web gear you already have. Holster, gloves, leggings, and boots all look correct too.
Helmet is the right size as there is only one. The adjustments per head is on the inside of the liner head band. You just need to add the paratrooper head gear into that helmet liner and you'll be good to go there.
The A is 2.25" tall and about 2.25" from the rim for orientation.

See my build thread. I provided a template png for the A and the stars there. The font appears to be similar to Arial bold, with faux bold applied on top.

Thanks for the replies. Been looking into your thread THEMAN, very nice.

sswift, I couldn't find the template?

I'm thinking of printing out a Helvetica bold or Arial bold A in size 200, and use that as a template. It looks pretty right too me. :)

Any advice on how the spats/leggings are fastened, where does the two laces go after lacing up?

While:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/my-250-bucky-rescue-captain-america-127995/index2.html#post1949569

You'll want to square off the bottom of the A, the rounded corners were just an artifact of the faux bold. Also, the stars don't have straight lines between the points, but that's easily rectified by drawing a line between each pair of points or cutting them out using a straight edge. I can't guarantee the size of the stars is correct for your shield though. I determined the size by scaling cap's shield to fit my own which is a hater sheild from ebay. The A however should be the right size since there is only one size helmet. Oh and the chest star should also be the right size.

Thanks While... For my A I just drew it with straight edge by hand on paper, after getting the dimensions anchored from the screen shots set to life size going off known measurements of certain parts that are constant, you can then transfer that onto some peel and stick vinyl to use for masking during paint. So paint your helmet white first(this will true up the blue color also as primer) then once cured stick your vinyl "A" on there 2.25" up from the brim and shoot the helmet again with the Krylon Oxford Flat Blue (or whatever color you prefer). If you need to touch up the A you can use some flat white and a small artist brush plus a steady hand. :)

If going with the same Ebay shield as sswift and I (which is actually the correct size) everything specs out to the same dimensions as the movie stills... you couldn't ask for an easier starting point.

I think I have pictures somewhere on how to get your leggings laced, I'll try to find them tonight... but if you get them at least laced you can just wrap the long lace around the entire ankle to tie it off.

Last edited:

I can't believe I didn't notice before, but that's some view you've got there. :) Where is that? Maine? Could be Alaska but I'd wager they've got snow already.

To make the helmet matte, you can use something like a scotch brite pad:
scotchbrite1.jpg

That will remove the shine without scratching the surface up.

Or you can use a fine grit sandpaper and go over it lightly, but that may not work so well if the helmet is textured.

Or you can use a matte clear coat spraypaint.

Adding a layer of dust to it also helps cut the shine. Fuller's Earth is what they use in Hollywood. It's a tan powered clay. It's great for weathering props. I bought mine several years ago off some indiana jones site which I think is gone now.

Been busy working on the costume the last few days. Will put up an update tomorrow hopefully. Thanks for the help so far! :)

I'd recommend using a flat paint for the helmet to start, instead of the gloss... using a flat clear over top actually gives a milky finish that doesn't come out correct looking.

those pics are amazing dude!! your costume is badass!!! I want to try this some time, was it an expensive one to put together?

While, that third action photo looks great. I'd have that as a poster.

Great uniform at the start. Too bad it's 101st. ;)

Thank you! I've been wondering for a while how this turned out. I remember your original posts showing up around Halloween and kept stumbling on it. I plan to do this outfit eventually, but thought I'd concentrate on the final movie outfit first (which is driving my Type A brain crazy :), not doing the outfits in chronological order)

Those pics are fantastic! Very awesome. I'd be interested to hear about your "barrel" shield too.

Thanks! It wasn't that expensive really.

Replica uniform from eBay, about $500.
Old plastic barrel for shield, free. Paint $60. (Also used for the helmet.)
Old leather jacket from a used store, $10.
Blue shirt with star printed on, $20.

Not too bad. But can be done way better! But the price is higher!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back