Captain America Red Skull mask WIP...finished mask bottom of PG 4

cool. I was hoping not to wear goo on my face haha.

Hope I didn't just set myself up for disaster....just PayPal'ed someone for a coat that doesn't exist yet. With little imagery to work with; they're giving it a go. I just wanted it close to what we've seen so far from the movie - so my expectations aren't unrealistically high. My one requirement was I needed to have the coat in-hand by June 8th..which they kinda freaked out...so I offered mo' $$$ and they are starting on it today...design and all....I leave on a trip June 9th and am wanting Red Skull to make his debut appearance.

ohhh snap! ;-)
well...shoot. I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this idea.
I have an annual toy trip I do every June; they really dug Iron Man last time..how cool it would be to unveil Red Skull on the same weekend the show comes out.
If I need to send you a couple bucks for faster shipping just lemme know.

I don't want to clog up mrbungle's thread, but it felt appropriate to post this here real quick - a jacket that was worked up in about 1 week's time with only a couple images:

red%20skull.jpg

The creator was found on eBay and is out of China. SUPER affordable...I paid extra $$$ to convince them to build it so I could have it next week.

I can't believe they actually did the shoulder patches and the belt buckle...I'm really curious to see it up close and in person!

They are supposed to make me a collar with matching material, and I'll prolly just wear it like a Dickie under the coat.

They sent me that pic overnight and it should ship out today.
I will keep everyone informed.

holy crap that was quick!

yessir!
It's not screen-accurate; but - it looks pretty darn good all things considered.
I just hope it fits. I had it made a bit wider in the shoulders so I can look broader - pad it a bit if the leather is too limp.
They have listed the coat on their eBay account just now; just search red skull cosplay.
Their email to me just now says I should have the coat by June 6th. If ya hold out till I get mine, I can answer all quality questions. Their communication has been extraordinary thus far :thumbsup

Wow that really turned out better than expected. They even did the details. Look forward to your review. My decision will of coarse be based on it.... I'll then be doing 2 Red Skull versions

Soooo, now that I have received this awesome mask - I have a couple questions. :)

After you wear it for a good while and get all sweaty; what do you do when you take it off? If I am on the road for an event, I don't have the luxury of holding it open to air out. If I toss it in a bag or suitcase, the mask collapses and the sweat gets smooshed.
I figured I could put a hand towel in it to absorb the sweat until I get home, but experience stories from others would be nice to hear.

Second question - if I wanted to airbrush a tad more black into certain deep areas of the mask; is this il-advised? I wouldn't want to go too thick with color and risk it eventually cracking the paint. I'm just not sure if there is paint that slightly absorbs into the silicone made specifically for this type of work.

Thanks again Tom!!

i would not go much darker than i did. i thought it was a tad on the darkside already. you have to use fusefx silicone paint to paint the mask and seal it again once you do paint it some more.

EDIT: i just looked at your pics, i think it is dark enough. it is the red skull not the black spotted red skull......LOL!

when you are done wearing it, turn it inside out "carefully" and lightly wash the inside with soap and water to get any con funk out.

sweet advice Tom. I was tossing around ideas with the family last night about my eyes. Juggling whether to do red makeup or black makeup around the eyes.

Red prolly should be the way to go - you're right bro ;-)

It was interesting last night. The in-laws came over and happened to catch all this going on..yea, they freaked out lol.
I was showing them the mask, and the ceiling light caught it just right - illuminated it realy spooky-like and you could see the thicker/thinner areas of the mask.

and the feel of it....good gawd creepy haha.

Ahh..inside out! I did not think of that.
Should I store it between events on a foam head or anything?
I don't think I have to worry about its shape, but perhaps it sticking together??

glad you like the mask. red is the way to go. the feel of the mask is weird, the ecoflex is like supersoft silicone then i add some deadner to it to make alittle softer.

just keep the mask in a cool dry place. for a display , just use a foam head or something. get a cheap one for a wig shop.

Mrbungle
Can't wait to get mine :) Decaturvader has done a wonderful job with the costume and is just making me more impatient :)

Just a question regarding the mask. Out of curiosity, did you reinforce the mouth area for strength?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back