Suggestion Can we have a sub forum for lightsabers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a lightsaber sub forum is made, I think that soon after people will start requesting a blaster sub forum, and then probably sub forums for just hard armor, and then sub forums for soft costumes, and then it'll splinter from there until the entire Star Wars section is split between way too many sub-forums.
If everyone is using the "look how many lightsaber threads there are" justification, then we would have a GRAFLEX sub forum by now. No disrespect intended for KoR, but I'd totally be willing to sacrifice that forum in favor of something like matty matt suggested:

Personally, I'd like sub forums like this:

-OT Props and Costumes
-PT Props and Costumes
-ST/Anthology Props and Costumes
-EU Props and Costumes

I'd probably never leave the OT section.

I think it makes more sense to split the forum only between trilogies and the EU, because once you start giving specific props sub forums, it starts splintering until the forum dies.
Just my two cents.

It would be stupid to let you have your will just cause you want.

As soon as you get your wanted subforum i and many others would demand what we want to have, too. And Ideas are legion in numbers. :D

Why don´t you go and start your own lightsaber forum out there?

It would be stupid to let you have your will just cause you want.

As soon as you get your wanted subforum i and many others would demand what we want to have, too. And Ideas are legion in numbers. :D

Calm down my friend. I made an open request to the moderators/owners of this board. If you want a sub forum of your own for whatever it is you'd like...then ask. That's all I'm doing...asking. I'm not saying in the least bit "I get mine and you don't get yours", no. I'm not demanding anything or feel the board should "bend to my will" as you put it. I requested an additional sub forum. Nothing more, nothing less. Either the mods will accommodate it or not. So please don't add any subcontext where there is none. And telling me to make my own forum is not very friendly either. Thank you.

So at this point I've contacted the moderators and requested their presence on this topic and weigh in. People have given their pros and cons, why's and why not's. I don't want this thread to degrade and people becoming unfriendly. I've made my request, some people want it, some people don't. If the board decides not to, it's not the end of the world, I just thought it would be a nice sub-forum to have. And from the looks of it, I'm not alone. So ultimately it's up to the mods. Thank you everyone for weighing in on this topic.

He had one, many years ago.... but closed it down. I don't remember why. Not enough interest in lightsabers a year after ROTS?

Hey, if a subforum is created then I think that should be done with the purpose to make it last. RPF is now quite old, but RPF is persistent. There is useful info in threads that are a decade old. (RPF should take great pride in that)
Lightsabers are very popular now, especially the Graflex-based Skywalker family saber because of TFA. But how after Episode 9 when the audience is exhausted - then I expect that we'll see a new slump, and that is only four years away.

Last edited:
He had one, many years ago.... but closed it down. I don't remember why. Not enough interest in lightsabers a year after ROTS?

Actually I sold the site because of some major life changes. But the new owners didn't keep it up and eventually dropped.it. But I will have the new site up again soon ;)

Well, one thing to think about is that a new saber-forum would not only affect those with their main interest in sabers. Sure, for them it might be easier.

But for the majority of users that are interested in other stuff, too, it would make the use more uncomfortable.

I´m sure next to everyone would have a prefered way he wants the forum structure - but each of us can only get his will for the price those pay who would like it another way.

Usually @Art Andrews gets to be the lightning rod for these things but I guess I will take the arrows on this one. :lol

Although this response is being posted in a thread with a specific sub-forum request, it really address most all of the sub-forum requests that we receive.

Regarding the "Knights of Ren" (KoR) sub-forum... when the "Judge Dredd" sub-forum was created we posted an announcement thread that explained the reasons for creating that sub-forum because we knew that there would be some head scratching as a result. We did the same thing with announcing the KoR sub-forum.

Surprisingly, a lot of great info can be found in the "Site Support & News" forum. :)

Now as to the general question of creating sub-forums... the RPF has struggle with this issue (as most successful forums do) for a long, long time. We have traditionally resisted the temptation to fix perceived (or real) problems by creating sub-forums because that leads to a never ending list of sub-forums that "need" to be created. That is a cycle that we do not want to get trapped in.

Having said that, we did realize that something needed to be done with the incredible amount of threads being created in the main prop forum. We discussed many ways of addressing the issue and ultimately came to the conclusion that splitting off the largest franchises would ease that burden while giving us the flexibility needed to react to possible changes in the popularity of those franchises. That solution also kept us from getting stuck in the "item/material/technique" sub-forum trap mentioned earlier.

For that reason, we will not be creating any "item/material/technique" sub-forums at this time.

I would like to take this opportunity to address an issue that was brought up and is in many cases the reason for the calls for new sub-forums... the search engine. It's bad, and not the good bad, the bad bad!

We previously tried to address this issue by replacing the built in search engine with something better, and it worked, sort of. However, it caused a number of issues that couldn't be resolved so we had to remove it. In the end, it came down to a question of the software platform that we are using. It's not what it used to be as far as the ability to customize and resolve issues in a satisfactory way. As a result, we are looking to migrate to a different platform that is more robust and better equipped for addressing our future needs. We have been testing a new platform with one of our other sites and moving the RPF to that platform is something that we would like to get accomplished this year.

Thanks for taking the time to read this somewhat long winded post.

I'm happy with the way it is now.

I'm a lightsaber guy and, although I get why anyone would think that lightsabers deserve their own sub-forum, I'm also happy with the forum the way it is now. I definitely read threads that I wouldn't otherwise read if I was just going to a lightsaber dedicated sub-forum all the time. Just figured I'd throw my two cents in.

Montagar Thank you very much for the response. I do appreciate you taking to time and consideration for my request and I totally get the boards reasoning for your decision. If you would please, lock up this thread and we'll call it a day. Thank you everyone else for your input.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back