Can someone help me figure out this “mentalist” trick?

Funky

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
We have friends who own an entertainment business in the local mall. It’s five different escape rooms under one roof, but every Friday and Saturday they have guest magicians and mentalists come in to amuse the folks in the lobby while they wait for their room to be ready. Now I’m very familiar with how most of these tricks are done and I’m usually amused, but not impressed (when performing close up magic you REALLY better know your stuff!)
Last Saturday night a mentalist performed what seemed to be a very simple trick and was completely flawless. This simple trick was so slick I was actually very impressed. It went like this: mentalist takes off his wristwatch and sets it to a custom time then puts the watch face down on the table. He asks someone what time they were born (Say 2:37) watch is flipped over with 2:37 on the face.
That’s it. That’s the trick. I was in awe.
Now I know this guy and at the end of the night I begged him to give me a hint as to how he did it. He smiled at me and said, “use an analog, not a digital”. Yeah, that told me nothing.
I‘m desperate to know how this trick was done. If you know, please share!

Oh, I am very well aware of the magicians code of ethics. If you don’t feel comfortable posting the answer out in the open public I completely understand. But at least PM me with the solution.

If you can help please let me know. This is killin‘ me!

Not quite he set the time before he received the rube’s information. I was watching his hands very closely when he pick up the watch. He used two fingers and only picked it up by the band. Trust me, I was looking for the gag.

Well, if the answer is actually what someone sent me, the solution is disappointing...and expensive!

Hey Armando hit me up. I used to do magic and mentalism in college. Sounds like a steve banacheck effect. There's a few you can do with a borrowed watch. or if it was his watch, could be a gimmick.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back