Can anyone I.D. this 2001 Discovery kit?

The 48th Ronin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have a friend who has been going through her late husband's stuff and she asked me if I might know anything about the provenance of this Discovery kit. She estimated the length at approximately 9 feet and the diameter of the front sphere at 12 inches.

As you can see, the sphere is fiberglassed and the rest of the components are standard urethane resin. Could this be one of the old Captain Cardboard kits? Were any of those ever actually produced? Or has anyone else ever done a kit in this scale?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

18762.jpeg
18765.jpeg
18766.jpeg
18767.jpeg

I found this video of the Atomic City one, definitely different. Hers could be an earlier version:

Thank you for that.

I have to say that I'm not too sure about it being an Atomic City kit - in watching that video and poking around on that guy's Youtube channel and watching a couple other videos (and reading some of the comments) - and also finding Scott Alexander's Youtube channel - that command module is 15 inches in diameter, and the full Discovery would be 11 feet long. Apparently the big Discovery was also never offered as a kit, but only as a finished assembled model.

Which makes me wonder again if there was anyone else that did a Discovery this big.

BrundelFly - any ideas Frank?

That looks like the one made for the 2010 film. Done by same chap who worked on TITANIC.

Im sure castings got out. Years ago...I was approached by someone with a set of the same castings...who wanted to finish it.

I passed.

That looks like the one made for the 2010 film. Done by same chap who worked on TITANIC.

Im sure castings got out. Years ago...I was approached by someone with a set of the same castings...who wanted to finish it.

I passed.
I was wondering if that was a possibility. I just don't know enough to tell the two versions apart.

This guy worked in the industry for decades, so it wouldn't surprise me that these are from that production.

So... any idea what a kit like this would be worth?

As far as I know Scott never used fiberglass in his kits, just resin. It does look to be a nice Discovery kit, my only concern would be it needng some sort of internal structure to keep all those flat parts aligned.
Yeah, it obviously would need a steel pipe for a spine and a box built to mount the flat panels on. Looks like I'll have my work cut out for me to determine if it's otherwise complete.

Thanks for your input. (y)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back