Buzzing the Tower (Spilled coffee) - Top Gun F-14 Diorama WIP

crackerjazz

Sr Member
While deciding on the Falcon colors, I think a little break away from it will help.

Remember Goose dissuading Maverick from buzzing the tower? I want to make a little diorama of the buzz scene. I want to call it either "Spilled Coffee" or "Buzzing the Tower".

I've been trying to get reference photos. Some sources say it's the old NAS Fallon tower that they shot the
scene at while others say it was really the Top Gun school's tower at Miramar. Either way I don't have
photos of the particular tower used and its condition during the 80's filming and have to base everything off
the movie and some youtube tower flyby clips. If anyone can help with any pictures I'd be chuffed :)

Sorry for the poor photos - I dropped my camera at the airport with only the thin pouch lining to break the fall
onto the cold, hard floor and noticed it wouldn't focus properly anymore. My poor Dimage A200 now takes photos like a cellphone.

001Cutoctagon.jpg

002Cutsides.jpg

003Gluejambs.jpg

004Gluetogether.jpg

I have to fight off the temptation to glue on all the jambs in place and leave little access to the insides.

005Gluemorejambs.jpg

Last edited:
Action Figure Therapy also did an episode on Youtube about the honey badger. Remarkably NSFW.

I haven't seen one done with a mug, but you can get fake "spilled coffee cups" from a number of places online. That could make for a funny addition to the scene.

Brilliant idea, looking forward to seeing how you model the Air Boss and the coffee, if you're taking a vote, I think 'Buzzing the Tower' is the better name:thumbsup

Thanks, guys. LOL :) One question - would the airboss have let Maverick buzz the tower if the
pattern weren't full?

Installed the raised flooring. I knew I shouldn't have affixed the pillars first. That's what I get for
not having a plan. I didn't want to break off the pillars though, because it probably took me ten
tries to glue each one on right without having the roof going askew. Started drilling out holes for
the antennas.

Progress1.jpg

So hard to get the antennas in really vertical so I made a little contraption after which
things went a bit smoother. I wonder if an accupuncturist's tool would've helped : )

Progress2.jpg

Progress3.jpg

Progress4.jpg

Progress8.jpg

Last edited:
I love when a classic movie moment is done like this. I'd laugh to see a diorama with the stormtrooper bashing his head off the door frame in Star Wars or buddy puking his guts out in a bathroom diorama in the crying game lol.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back