Burn marks on clothing?

Flayrith

Any suggestions on how to make burn marks on a poly/cotton jacket - that can then be removed? I want to try and make a jacket that looks like it has been caught in Wonder Womans lasso - leaving thin burn marks. I don't want to necessarily ruin the jacket so it can't be worn for other occasions. I thought fabric paint, but don't know of any that can be completely washed out. Sharpie can't be removed; sewing black stripes would look like fabric pattern, not burns; and I considered using black tape but don't know if that would stay on the fabric for the 6 - 8 hours I need it. Any thoughts?

How rare or expensive is the jacket? My idea is to just get two of them, then you can really go all out with the damage, while keeping the other.

But if that's not possible, I don't know. What level of burning do you want? If it's just a singe, perhaps rubbing a little dirt or dirt substitute couldn't hurt.
And what color is it? Knowing that would definitely help with suggestions. IE, a darker or black jacket will have more options than something lighter.
Can you post a picture of it?

Thanks for the advice. Jacket is not really rare or expensive, just extremely had to find in the combination of style, color and size I need. It's a greyish-green long overcoat that is similar to a German Army coat - my idea is to costume one of the soldiers that didn't get out of the way of Wonder Womans lasso. So the burn marks would encircle the coat two or three times, very thin but 'charred' black. I dont' have the coat yet, I found one but don't want to move ahead if I can't salvage the coat for later use. I did read shoe polish can be used for creating dirt and damage on fabric, and then should be able to be removed by hand or at a dry cleaner. Still hoping for a better solution. And also brings up another question for any Whovians: Any suggestions for not overheating while wearing an overcoat all day?

And also brings up another question for any Whovians: Any suggestions for not overheating while wearing an overcoat all day?

If you get to hot, you could walk around holding the overcoat, staring at it and shaking your head while muttering "look at what that bloody Amazonian did to my coat... I'm never going to get these marks out"

:lol

If you get to hot, you could walk around holding the overcoat, staring at it and shaking your head while muttering "look at what that bloody Amazonian did to my coat... I'm never going to get these marks out"

:lol

But it would have to be in a German accent and I can't do that all day..... :)

Charcoal is a brilliant idea! Or possibly chalk (does black or grey chalk exist??). I'll have to test those on some scrap fabric. Excellent input, thanks!

Black and grey chalk definitely exists.

There's also tailor's chalk - fabric stores will have it - which is designed to come off easily.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back