Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper

Nav-lights fitted and powered up. Made some antennae out of shed scraps.

Welded a rigid bracket up to support the monitors from behind - bolted to the frame now.

aH6TUIP.jpg

xhZtl3w.jpg

AgzQACo.jpg

Started fibreglassing.

I've got one wing fully fibreglassed and am now starting on the other. I've also added a steel finishing band around the end of the nacelle, which will tighten over the wet fibreglass once it is laid over the join, to hide the transition and pull it all together.

The canopy rescue handle in the show was varied, depending on which season it was shown. The plain sticker looked cheap, the Suzuki motorcycle tank fuel cap is too recognisable and doesn't make sense, so I decided to fabricate my own out of sheet aluminium and some socket head cap screws.

wZEwd0z.jpg

RzDvyc7.jpg

yehjwJ9.jpg

W050GFa.jpg

3lsJCF3.jpg

cBL6ql9.jpg

XntPRDw.jpg

GMnajiA.jpg

GV1Kaos.jpg

nmb8VDS.jpg

you should dust/lightly spray some orange/red fluorescent paint onto the rear blades / inside the nozzle and then have a strip of UV LEDs that fade up to make them glow red hot.
Would want it to be light enough dusting/coverage though that it isn't super visible when they aren't on though
Do you have a link to this magical stuff that I can purchase and test?

Do you have a link to this magical stuff that I can purchase and test?
Not sure what the options are where you are, but looking for something like "invisible UV paint" in orange or red.
When you get the UV LED strips you have to make sure you are getting the right wavelength of UV light for the pigment, as UV LEDs have a very narrow spectrum for different uses. (for example 3D resin curing is a different wavelength than Sanitization, typical wavelengths are 365nm, 385nm, 395nm or 405nm)

A lot of sellers are just going to recommend using fluorescent UV (black lights) as they put out a wider UV spectrum that covers all bases, but if you get the right wavelength of UV LEDs for the pigment it's much more effective and bright. (plus can go around the interior of the jet nozzle.)

Whats really great about the effect is that because the light is actually created by the phosphors being energized by the UV light, it really looks like something that is glowing hot, and not just reflecting light.

EDIT: also try and get pigments that work with longer wavelengths like 405nm, as the shorter the UV wavelength the more eye strain you can get from looking at it, the shorter 365nm can really screw you up staring at it for even a few minutes exposure. 405nm is what they would use in a nightclub, which can cause eye strain after a few hours.

EDIT 2:
You can also mix colours and staging for effects, if you skip to around 7:10 on this video you can see the nozzle light, first from the red glow of the combustion chamber heating up, to then the blue/white hot rings of the re-heat (aka afterburner) spraying fuel into the nozzle. This is a good visual example of why jets don't use Afterburner very often, as it's literally pouring fuel right into the hot exhaust, but a huge Tu-22 needs the extra power to get off the ground before getting up to altitude.
Unfortunately I don't have a good suggestion of how to get the heat wave effect lol, that might be more trouble and dangerous than it's worth!

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back