Builds By Baz - 3 Foot Colonial Viper Mk II

One brass cannon turned. Nice warm shed, cuppa soup, comfy chair and some tunes. It's good to have machines that do the work while you watch. I'm in no condition to strain and stress at the moment. Keeps my bugs away from others too. Still pretty drained though. I'll do the other one on another day.

CJWsOh4.jpg

AtOchqn.jpg

9fqriYS.jpg

48ujiX8.jpg

I came up with an inventive way to slot the cannon sections by clamping my Dremel with an end mill bit in it. Indexing achieved by working out circumference of chuck and dividing by the number of slots. Glued on an indicator needle point.

r2vYakk.jpg

irtfBfp.jpg

NMw05z1.jpg

yxqfwGJ.jpg

One cannon completed, slots all indexed in and finished to a high polish.
Started the second cannon tonight.

wJS1oQF.jpg

T3jBi8P.jpg

F8ufy65.jpg

LqLNoyD.jpg

knePMbO.jpg

In between everything else, I have slowly been building form and detail on the wings. They look a bit rough at this stage, but they get better with every session I spend on them.

qfijvJE.jpg

NLfL59A.jpg

Yet another masterpiece, Baz.

I looked at the cannon and thought they'd make a great ball point pen!

Cheers,

Ted.

Cannons finished and given some protection while they wait for the rest of the ship to be completed.

T709KSK.jpg

9N9V0Y7.jpg

Some pics showing various parts of the three footer at different stages. Because I am using a variety of scrap material and fillers, the sanded finish is difficult to get consistent. Some of it sands very easily, leaving convex depressions in the surface, while the harder materials leave lumps and bumps. To try to solve this, I'm sealing the parts with a lacquer, akin to resin hardening. At least after a few coats of that, I can apply a single putty, then sand it down to the hardened surface.

8V5L4ES.jpg

2tblcL4.jpg

49Zs69q.jpg

I love the Mark II design. Watching your work, seeing how you nailed it in both scales, I appreciate it even more!

Cheers,

Ted.

A mate with a CNC router cut a base for me with a 3D file from thingyverse. I have a big block of wood to glue and screw to the bottom of it to give it weight, then I will paint it all up pretty.

I welded a stand post and bracket to mount the Viper on. The intake fan blades are made out of the metal lid on a pack of cut off disks. The detailing in the back of the exhausts is cable ties.

More details and painting to go, but getting close now.

So8TA15.jpg

kd0AmZ7.jpg

ffyifv1.jpg

BB5Pclb.jpg

erb9GMb.jpg

zPOZTFf.jpg

rzRa72p.jpg

RQG7BOV.jpg

Full story at www.buildsbybaz.com

Baz.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back