Building The Death Star - PRODUCTION

First - fantastic work, Rob (and to all of your little clone troopers, for the drilling work) :thumbsup

Second - on your DSLR, you can set it to Program Auto (that's where the camera makes all the decisions), but look in the manual to see if you can force the iso to 200, or the lowest native setting (on some cameras, it's 100). Since you're using a tripod, set the camera timer. At iso200 (or 100), the camera should set for a longer exposure. This will give you a nice, clean, noise-free image.

Thirdly - for your trench ports, check around for jeweler's or electronics file sets. These almost always have a square file, in them. Drill a hole to the size of the file and just use the file to square them off. Makes life a lot easier.

-Fred

So, looking for a faster method.

Thinking about creating a template - a strip of styrene the same width as the trench, with the rectangles cut out of the styrene.

No need for a faster method or buying a new tool. Just buy some crappy Budlight beer and invite me over for an all-day trench session. ;)

Well worth the wait for the pics. Stunning. When all is said and done, what do you think you will have enjoyed more...the time and memories with friends building it or the sense of fulfillment when it is completed?

No need for a faster method or buying a new tool. Just buy some crappy Budlight beer and invite me over for an all-day trench session. ;)

Any weekend...!

Spring soccer games (on Saturdays) start up on 2/18/2012, FYI...

Well worth the wait for the pics. Stunning. When all is said and done, what do you think you will have enjoyed more...the time and memories with friends building it or the sense of fulfillment when it is completed?

Really good question.

A toss up, really...

New pics are fantastic Rob, really fantastic, it looks, well, its the dang prop in my eyes. Along with your Saturn V, two really awe inspiring builds!

lee

Just writing some stuff down...

My model is 113 inches in diameter, or 2,870mm

At 60 feet per mm, it is - in scale - 172,200 feet around.

Hence, in scale, the model is 32.6 miles in diameter, or 52.5km.

Funny because many published resources put it at 120km, more than double.

By the way this also puts it at about 10 miles in diameter. According to some sources, that is the same length as the Super Star Destroyer. So the SSD would still be quite sizable compared to the Death Star.

A standard Star Destroyer would be "only" about 8cm (or 3") long. I say "only" because it is still way too big for any of the equator docking hangars.
Hey I may be retarded but you stated that your Death Star is 113 inches in diameter.....dont you mean circumference ? Now I havent seen any pictures with you in it, but 113 inches in diameter would make that 3 feet taller than the average man if it were sitting on the ground. I also dont quite understand the scale of this thing. In the movie, they mistook it for a moon.30 miles in diameter is tiny for a moon. And the shot of the super star destroyer impacting the surface shows no curvature at all..meaning that the diameter of that thing would have had to be indeed moon sized. Now our moon is some 2100 miles in diameter so even if it were half that size, thats still 1000 miles. Doesn't Mr Lucas have specs on that thing? He does on everything else. On a different note, Your work is amazing. You should be proud !

Yeah - I biffed... Diameter is the well-known 36" / three feet.

The moon of Endor dwarfed the DSII (which was bigger than DS! in both fiction and reality).

Let's just say when Puke says "Its heading for that small moon..." that 1.) he's an idiot, and 2.) they didn't realize how close they were to it (until Ben says "That's no moon...").

how is your Death Star coming? Are there any pics? I did a repro of the Palitoy Death Star for my collection. It turned out well. I never thought of making a full one though!

Love this build, you inspired me to find an old globe to do one of my own...not nearly as good as yours but, still you inspired another D.S. build. Can't wait to see it done.
T

Haven't heard of this? What is it?

10681-death-star-2-palitoy.jpg

Info on Gus Lopez's site.
Death Star - Star Wars Collectors Archive

Great Build PHArchivist!

What I would really like to see, and the build won't be complete without it, Is NEW Avatar with you son on your shoulders so we can see just how much time has passed since the first post.

I assume he is not too big for that now :lol

Scott

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back