Building The ANH 5'Millennium Falcon

Wow, a video of a Falcon under construction. What a great time it is now, that we can realise something like this.

And I can't believe that you have never physically laid eyes on the original. It honestly doesn't show.

Thanks again for openly sharing so much of your build Stu!
It's thoroughly enjoyable and I loved the vid. Congrats!

I, too, can't believe you missed seeing the real one -- and just 3 hours away. I once had the chance to see the Falcon - it would have been a 5-hour drive but I didn't take it 'cause I learned it was just the ESB model. When it was gone I lay awake in bed thinking 5 hours vs. never -- I can't believe I chose not to go : )

Thanks for the vid; Fantastic model -- there's something about an unpainted model with all those individual parts -- it's just like seeing the ILM model unfold. And it's great to put a face to the name. You have a childlike smile did you know -- full of wonder -- that 5 footer surely brings joy to the house no doubt.

It must've cost a fortune to acquire all the kits but you can probably recoup your investment -- I'm sure people would want to pay you just to take a peek at your model. I can imagine a stream of cars lined up along your street with horns a-honking : ) Looking forward to your next update.

Your video of this incredible design was ”over the top” eagle1. A daunting project and even more so sticking to the kit parts. Hard to imagine the search and knowledge needed for obtaining original issue, out of stock mid 1950 details. This video and others you plan to produce are greatly appreciated by millennium falcon fans. Construction hints and process worth their weight in gold for those that build this or any other space ship model. You are indeed a master craftsmen as well as layout artist.

Was it a challenge to lay down where the greeblies kit parts start. If something is slightly out of alignment it seems you would need to start over.

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing that - so inspiring!

I need to make another trip there - I spent an afternoon at Mount Maunganui in January 2015, visiting a friend there - fell in love with NZ on that trip...

Looking forward to seeing your additional videos!

Dan

Hey guys. Thank you all for your comments, it is all very much appreciated & I'm very happy to know folks are getting joy from seeing videos like this. It's not easy for some to do I know, it's weird to see oneself on screen & even harder to be fluent enough to not be a bore!. But, subsequent videos will be much easier now I feel I have my feet wet!.

I do want to see the original sometime in my lifetime & hope that opportunity comes up. But, with all the info & reference out there & others amazing skills in getting accurate measures etc... I didnt need to see it beforehand. It's not like you can measure directly off the model at these touring exhibitions anyway, but I do have kind folks private photo sets & an extensive library of original shots.

crackerjazz... well thank you for complimenting my boyish smile & joy or wonderment talking about the model. Yes you are right, it still brings a sense of amazement to this guy & truly does bring smiles & joy to others, not just me, this miniature is loved worldwide!.

Stormy320... the kit parts initially helped in finding key measures to obtain an accurate blueprint, along with other techniques of course. Each section is worked out very carefully with the plating & kit parts combined, everything has to gel to fit as it should & I will go over the process of this in a future video.

3DImpact... you would be very welcome to visit me if you ever get here again. Always great to talk shop with others & meet up faces to names.

Bloody ripper Stu!

I was looking at the steel tube armature poking out the end of the walkway and wondering what material you went with here. Is it a stainless steel tube and a threaded plug that is welded in the end?

Looks mint whatever it is!

What a great tutorial. Loved the beam compass, beats my pencil on a string. One thing is for certain. While the original model builders loved this incredible design, you can double that affection many times by the labor it took you to replicate these asymmetrical patterns so precisely. You want to see the original one day? I would much rather see the high quality art you have created.

Bloody ripper Stu!

I was looking at the steel tube armature poking out the end of the walkway and wondering what material you went with here. Is it a stainless steel tube and a threaded plug that is welded in the end?

Looks mint whatever it is!
Thank you so much.
It is a stainless tube you see there & no that's not a plug, it's simply the end of the mounting rod from engine stand running right through the model for increased support. All this will clear the docking ring assembly.

What a great tutorial. Loved the beam compass, beats my pencil on a string. One thing is for certain. While the original model builders loved this incredible design, you can double that affection many times by the labor it took you to replicate these asymmetrical patterns so precisely. You want to see the original one day? I would much rather see the high quality art you have created.
Hi Searun. Many thanks.
Ha, I considered a string & pencil too, but opted for my crude beam compass which works great.
I love the Falcon miniatures complete 'wonkiness' as I call it. Nothing is straight or even to give it the appearance of a 'piece of junk' ship.

Great vid mate (tuto is very helpful, of course)...I never used a "nibbler", that's why my question might be a little odd; can you use the piece of plastic you've just removed from the main sheet? And if yes: more greeblies you don't have to cut by hand (y)

WOW,

Take your time Stu. The attention to detail is paying off in spades!

And thank you for the detailed look on the underside. So many questions...

I love how tight the lower gun platform fits in its place. Curious, how do you plan to hold this in position when finished?

Cheers,

Last edited:
WOW,

Take you time Stu. The attention to detail is paying off in spades!

And thank you for the detailed look on the underside. So many questions...

I love how tight the lower gun platform fits in its place. Curious, how do you plan to hold this in position when finished?

Cheers,
Thank you so much.

Both my top & lower gun turret bases will be held in place with recessed flat magnets. This will ease access for me to undo the 2 bolts that secure the inner armature tube to the mounting rod, which in turn is mounted into the engine stand. Also much easier for painting too, as each turret can be painted separately.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back