Build your own borg neural processor. "picture intensive"

I realise it was not lit up on the movie i just thought it looked good
Thank you very much Tomperys for the explanation and pictures i will definitely make 1 of each.
I did think about making it slot on to a Mark X Tricorder but dont want to butcher one of Myrons tricorders with no information on how it connects but will eventually get round to it.
Any info on how i could go about it would be wonderful.

I will upload pics of my finished ones soon.
Thanks again

Re: Build your own borg neural processor. "picture intensive"

I realise it was not lit up on the movie i just thought it looked good
Thank you very much Tomperys for the explanation and pictures i will definitely make 1 of each.
I did think about making it slot on to a Mark X Tricorder but dont want to butcher one of Myrons tricorders with no information on how it connects but will eventually get round to it.
Any info on how i could go about it would be wonderful.

I will upload pics of my finished ones soon.
Thanks again

It is my understanding that something was simply attached to the back of the tricorder that these attached too.

An old thread, but I just picked up this little guy from the Prop Store auction last week...so thrilled to be its custodian!

20200902_180540_e.jpg

An old thread, but I just picked up this little guy from the Prop Store auction last week...so thrilled to be its custodian!

View attachment 1344009

Very nice. I once built one that had working antenna (conected to the main circuit). Now I managed to get the parts again so I will probably build (if I have time) one that would work as a flash drive :)))

If anyone needs measurements or anything, let me know. Prop Store's auction catalog reference pics are better than anything I could take.

Oddly, the three silvery pieces that were part of the lot weren't in the box from Prop Store. Have an email out to them to see what's up.

If anyone needs measurements or anything, let me know. Prop Store's auction catalog reference pics are better than anything I could take.

Oddly, the three silvery pieces that were part of the lot weren't in the box from Prop Store. Have an email out to them to see what's up.

I just got my lighters in for this build and I have a few questions you might be able to help out with.

Now that you have it in front of you, any idea what those puzzle pieces are? Do the holes go all the way through or are they solid on the back? All I can think of is some kind of interlocking wire ports or something to clip action figures feet into, but that hasn't gotten me anywhere.

Is the antenna a bolt with wire wrapped around it or just a silver rod with wire wrapped around it?

Is the large heatsink on the back a similar profile to the small one on the side?

I just got my lighters in for this build and I have a few questions you might be able to help out with.

Now that you have it in front of you, any idea what those puzzle pieces are? Do the holes go all the way through or are they solid on the back? All I can think of is some kind of interlocking wire ports or something to clip action figures feet into, but that hasn't gotten me anywhere.
The holes don't go all the way through; the pieces are solid on the back. The bottoms of the blind holes appear to be in the same plane as the top surface of the piece (excluding the bump).

Is the antenna a bolt with wire wrapped around it or just a silver rod with wire wrapped around it?
It looks more like a gooseneck with a dull grey color. It looks too uniform to be a wire wrapped around a rod or screw. I can't really see the ends to tell exactly what the center material is.[/quote]

Is the large heatsink on the back a similar profile to the small one on the side?
No, the one on the back has a different spacing and profile of the "fins." In fact, the fins have a triangular cross-section. There are six of them. The piece looks like it is some sort of rubber grip or foot. The small heat sink on the side looks like an actual heat sink made from black-anodized aluminum. It has four fins, each with straight sides.

Hope that helps!

Oddly, Prop Store has acknowledged but not responded to my email query regarding three silver pieces that were listed as part of the lot but not included in the shipment. They are usually impeccable; hopefully the delay has more to do with the recent US holiday (and the pandemic) than anything else.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information! Those puzzle pieces will haunt me hah, but good to know that they don't go all the way through.

Best of luck with getting the silver pieces, I haven't dealt with Prop Store but they have a pretty excellent reputation so I'd expect them to make things right.

Also, in the off chance he pokes his head in, stapleton13 I'd happily pick up a set of parts for this if you're still making them.

Thank you for the information! Those puzzle pieces will haunt me hah, but good to know that they don't go all the way through.
Glad to be of help! :) The puzzle pieces look like found objects. Someone will eventually figure out what they are and it will seem so obvious in retrospect.

Best of luck with getting the silver pieces, I haven't dealt with Prop Store but they have a pretty excellent reputation so I'd expect them to make things right.
Hopefully they'll respond soon.

Also, in the off chance he pokes his head in, stapleton13 I'd happily pick up a set of parts for this if you're still making them.
One of the silver plastic gears is missing on mine. I'm toying with the idea with gently (and reversibly) affixing a replica piece if there are any out there.

One of the silver plastic gears is missing on mine. I'm toying with the idea with gently (and reversibly) affixing a replica piece if there are any out there.

Are they plastic? They look like star or lock washers to me, I'd swing on by your local hardware store and poke around the fastener aisle and see what you can see.

1600212197845.png

Hmm...you may be right! :) I just boxed it back up, but may have been thrown by the fact that they're covered in a lot of glue residue, which makes them look thicker than an external lock washer. Will look closely next time I have the prop on the table with good daylight available.

Reviving this thread to add some measurements I took of my production prop in response to some questions from another user. I can also confirm the "gears" are external tooth lock washers.

BLACK PUZZLE PIECES: Measuring one with a dial caliper, the edges are 0.365-0.369"long and 0.195" thick including the "nipple." The diameter of the nipple is 0.188."

FOUR-FINNED BLACK ANODIZED ALUMINUM HEATSINK: It measures exactly 0.500" by 0.250" with the dial caliper. It is 3/32" tall (sorry for mixing decimals and fractions - used a machinist's rule for the height measurement).

BLACK RIBBED PIECE: It is some type of plastic or hard rubber and appears to have been cut from a longer strip. It is 1" wide by 23/32" long as measured with a machinist's rule.

I've attached photos of the puzzle piece (the 25-year-old hot glue let go, so that made measurement easier) and the ribbed rubber piece alongside a machinist's rule.

Hope this helps some folks out there!

Attachments

• 20230321_115517.jpg
    20230321_115517.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 39
  • 20230321_115915.jpg
    20230321_115915.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34
  • 20230321_115928.jpg
    20230321_115928.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back