Buffy/Angel Coffee Mug(s) Discussion

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by ssdesigner, Apr 8, 2006.

1. ssdesigner

ssdesigner Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm looking for a bit more input/feedback on something i'm researching right now. This isn't quite an interest thread at the moment but it may turn into that.

Right now I'm looking for info on the colors and font used on this mug. In one of these shots the text is definately blue, in the other (could be the lighting, not sure) it looks more like red:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Ss

2. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

With proper lighting in the first shot, I'd say definately blue. The second shot is more shadow and it looks black to me without proper lighting. Of course, they could have had different mugs for both shots.

3. juno

juno Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The font is just good ole arial:
    [​IMG]

4. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Sr Member

The rim is the same blue too.

SAS

5. Gman666

Gman666 Well-Known Member

I do not know if this will help, but here is another screen cap. I told you the wrong episode. It isn't Pangs, but Something Blue and Hush in which the mug appears in. I do not have season 5 on Angel so I can't get any grabs from it. The mug included with the Spike figure is no help. I agree that the font and rim are blue.

Greg
    [​IMG]

6. TFrosst

TFrosst Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It's clos but not quite. the K is a bit off and the s' have to shaped a bit. Apart from that, it looks pretty good

7. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

It doesn't appear in season five. The Spike figure is pretty stupid since it's an ANGEL Spike figure with nothing but Buffy accessories :rolleyes

As for the font, looks like Franklin Gothic Meduim to me:

[​IMG]
    (sorry for the crappy quality. Just did a print screen of Word)

8. Gman666

I know this mug doesn't in Angel season 5, but the one Harmony gives Angel is. Sorry, I had forgotten that I discussed that mug with ssdesigner in my initial email. I asked about the possibility of getting both mugs made. As for the Franklin Gothic Medium, I think the S may be closer but the K is still off.

[​IMG]

Greg

9. ssdesigner

Both mugs are definitely do-able....so we can discuss both here :)

I'll change the thread title to reflect the two-mug discussion :)

-Ss

10. Endless Wonder

Endless Wonder Sr Member

Ah, okay. I should have known you'd know better. :lol

I definately want both :D

11. Jedi Ciral

Jedi Ciral New Member

I agree that Franklin Gothic has a good S, but that the K definitely doesn't match. Look at the screencap below:

[​IMG]

The font is similar to the URW Grotesk T family, such as URW Grotesk T Medium Wide.

For example:

[​IMG]

12. Quinn Merrick

Quinn Merrick Well-Known Member

Jedi Ciral, you're clearly onto something there

13. Miniaturizer Ray

Miniaturizer Ray Well-Known Member

Tough to say with screen grabs of a plain sans font, but I think that TRANSPORT D BOLD looks pretty close.

14. Jedi Ciral

Jedi Ciral New Member

Hmm, Transport D Bold looks pretty good. I like the slightly flatter S's.

Here's a quick comparison using that font:

[​IMG]

15. Gman666

I would say that the the K is dead on. The others have the bottom leg kicked out to far if you know what I mean. You guys are doing great in finding the right font.

Greg

16. ssdesigner

WOW. Great work guys. So it seems we have a font nailed down then, correct?

Now to find that blank mug with the blue rim :p

-Ss

17. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

What's happening with this? Any news? I want one of both of these mugs.:)

Jason

18. Gman666

I haven't heard anymore. It just kinda died. I too am up for both if they are made. I emailed SS about the mugs and how much they would cost to get made. Never heard anything back and not sure he got the message. Maybe if we make enough noise.

Greg

19. SmilingOtter

SmilingOtter Master Member

When you make the Angel "#1 Boss" mug, don't use otter as the extra ingredient.

Just sayin'.

20. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Well, I wish someone would do this. I did some heat transfer mugs when I worked in a photo lab. (you know, putting pictures on mugs with heat transfer paper.) Wall, it could work for someone like this, I would prefer to see them professionally done by someone like SS.

Jason

21. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Bump, any news? anything at all?

22. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

BUMP. Hello. Can anybody here me? Is there anybody in there? Come on let's make this happen.

Jason

23. Gman666

Appears that there are just too few of us. I have sent a PM just to see how much a batch would cost. I am willing to put up my own money to get this kicked off. Have yet to hear anything on this.

Greg

24. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Well, the great thing about these props, are that there not overly specific. I mean, we know there from Buffy, and Angel, but it's not like they say vampire one them, and there not something obviously from a show, or movie. What I'm saying is, these could sell well, just as novelty mugs, to regular, non-nerd folk. At least well enough, to supplement the lack of numbers here on the boards.

I have my Jayne "Trouble Maker" T-shirt hanging in my living room. The other day I had some maintenance men in my apartment. One of them, is this old rocker type (cool guy) He said "Hey Jay, that's an awesome T-shirt, Where can I get one of those?" He's not into Sci-fi, but he loved the T-shirt.

Jason

25. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Ok, If nobody else is going to do this, I'll take a crack at it. :(

Does anyone have some good pics of the #1 Boss mug? I found a plain white mug that might work for the base, but I need the text.

Jason

26. Gman666

You must have seen my most wanted props list. I do not have any pics with me at work. I have them on my computer at home. I tried pulling up the old thread. It had pics of both but I can not find it. You know I am very serious about this. Let me know what you need.

Greg Newell

27. Gman666

I hope this helps.

[​IMG]

Let me know what I can do.

Greg

28. ssdesigner

I did use a new vendor friend of mine to do a smaller run of the GRAFLEX mugs and they were not too bad....let's see how many of each design we have interest for and I can get a price for you guys.

-Ss

29. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ssdesigner @ Dec 7 2006, 04:24 AM) [snapback]1373112[/snapback]</div>
    That would be great. I would much rather have a professionally made one, over one I make. I would deferentially be down for one. (You may want to do a proper "interest thread" to get more attention, since this thread has kid of dwindled)

If I do have to do these, it my take me a wile. I'm sure I'll have to play around with it a little to get it right. (If I can do it at all. :( ) On the bright side, mine would be really cheep. :lol

See Meijers has the plane white mug like the #1 Boss mug, for like a $1. or $2. When I worked in their photo lab, and people ordered picture mugs, we would photocopy the image on to high quality T-shirt transferee paper. Then we just taped it to the mug, and backed it for a little bit. (I think it was like 10 minutes, or so, but it's been years, so I'll probably have to play around to get it right .) Then you just take it out, let it cool, and peal off the tape, and paper, and you have your mug. :) If it worked for this, it would be very cheep, and easy, but it wouldn't be as nice as what a professional place could do by any means, so I deferentially think we should give ssdesigner our support.

Jason

30. jason1976

jason1976 Sr Member

Ok, I picked up one of the white mugs at Meijers last night. Get this, it was only $.49 plus tax. :lol

I'm on a new computer, so I still have to install my software, printers, etc. So, I have a ways to go before I'll have a chance to try doing one of the mugs. In the mean time, can someone tell me what font(s) I'll need to do the #1 BOSS mug? (I know a lot about image work, but I very, very little about text.) Or, if someone already has that graphic created, please share.

BTW, I'm just doing this in the mean time, I'm still very interested in what ssdesigner may have to offer us.:)

Jason

Jason

31. ssdesigner