Budget X-wing pilot costume

GBRyker61

Title says it all. I'm looking to do a budget X-wing pilot costume and was wondering if anyone out there could help me. I'm trying to keep everything under $100 bucks. Most of what I'd like to go with the costume will be 3D printed, like the chest box.

Jumpsuit: I've solved the base costume problem. I'm looking at an Orange aviator jumpsuit on Amazon for $47.99(sadly, it's not eligible for Amazon Prime, oh well). They used black ones for the TIE pilots and scout troopers, so I figured an orange one for an x-wing pilot would work.

Flak Vest: I was wondering if anyone had a pattern for the Flak vest. If someone has a pattern and can send me a download link, that would be great.

Chest Box: I'm in the process of building a 3D Printer. If someone could provide me with an .stl of the chest box, or point me to some place that has a downloadable .stl file, that would be great.

Helmet: This is going to be the hard part. Has anyone attempted to 3D print an X-Wing pilot helmet. If you have please let me know.

Gloves: Any alternative suggestions for the gloves? I'm not really crazy about the ones they had in the movie.

Belt and holster: This one I'm gonna have to play by ear. I spoke to Crazylegsmurphy on his thread. He's in the process of making patterns for Han's blaster holster and belt. I'm keeping an eye on this. I'll most likely make it out of cloth rather than leather to keep costs low.

Props: I'm planning to have a blaster and some other props to go with the costume and was wondering if someone could point me to an ANH DL-44 Blaster Pistol .stl file if one exists. I'm also looking at including the scanning device used by Rookie One in Star Wars: Rebel Assault 2. Has anyone attempted to replicate that prop.

Again, any help could be appreciated.

I suck at Pepakura.

Last edited:
I think it would be very hard to keep it under $100. 3D-printing is expensive.
I consider my own build I did a few years ago "budget", but it cost me a lot more. I paid more than $50 each for the boots, flight suit and helmet.

Check out the Rebel Legion's forums for patterns for the flak vest and measurements for the Chest Box.
I made my chest box from sheet plastic with buttons of sheet plastic and Sculpey. The white buttons from sheet plastic diffuser from a lamp.
My first coloured buttons were painted, but I upgraded with plastic from coloured window ice-scrapers.
I have seen others build their chest boxes from cork or plywood.

A helmet would be a really large thing to 3D-print. I'd suggest pepakura.
If you want to base it on a real helmet, then any old helmet would not do: it has to be a flight helmet which is shaped wider over the ears and not too bulbous otherwise or it will look wrong.

Gloves: Find some cheap that you like and make the cuffs out of some scrap leather. I made my gauntlet cuffs from a handbag I got at a flea market.

Last edited:
A helmet would be a really large thing to 3D-print. I'd suggest pepakura.
If you want to base it on a real helmet, then any old helmet would not do: it has to be a flight helmet which is shaped wider over the ears and not too bulbous otherwise or it will look wrong.

Yea, pep's a no-go for me as I suck at it. I have a 3D printer and from what I understand, but I'll have to double check, the spools of plastic aren't all that expensive. Peping, on the other hand, is more expensive, and way more time consuming. I tried peping the armor pieces for the Armored Vault Suit from Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas and it did not work out at all.

Rubies Han Solo blaster with mods can be a cheap ANH DL-44 if you use left-over plastic for the parts.

Yea, I've seen a couple of those. My biggest concern is I'd horribly butcher the gun or break it. I did find a Mauser STL file on GrabCad, and I think with a few slight mods to the file, would work out pretty well. I'd just need the .STL files for the flash hider, scope, scope mount, and the grill that goes in front of the mag chamber.

Well, if you're looking for a budget costume....try http://www.amazon.com/Rubies-Costum...qid=1423779618&sr=8-2&keywords=x-wing+costume
You couldn't make it for any cheaper, figuring in material and time.

TazMan2000

Yea, thanks but no. I've looked at that a few times and it just looks aweful. I want the satisfaction of making this costume. Buying a premade costume just takes away that satisfaction.

Setting a $100 budget limit was a bad idea. If I go a few dollars over that, I'm okay with that.

One blaster alternative, and I may go that rout, is the Star Wars Rebel Trooper Electronic Dart Blaster. Moding this would be no sweat at all. I'm probably going to do that instead. It's just a matter of gutting the dart launching parts and repainting the gun.

Last edited:
I see. I didn't know that you wanted the satisfaction of building it yourself.
Take your time and do your research. I'm working on the same costume myself, but I'm buying the costume in bits and pieces. Already I'm over 300 bucks, and stil a long way to go. Gloves alone were 70 bucks, but they are nice leather.
Good Luck,

TazMan2000

Mark Bradley has helmets on sale right now.
link

Scratch build the chest box out of sheet styrene, it can be done in a day or 2.
The blue and white squares are 1"x1" so scale off of that.

2" silver webbing for the leg straps.

Military surplus webbing for the chest box and belt.
MJF was selling the correct buckles, he may still have some.
The compad can be scratched from styrene as well (the originals where vacformed)
Belt rods and leg flares where made of wood (cheap, easy and screen accurate)
Rank cylinders where made of wood, you can use a dowel or metal rod/tubing and washers.
16521872485_1d95839249_o.jpg

15899279994_1cf4cd88f6_o.jpg

16334398210_f2f25d3c06_o.jpg

16335588259_045a22f1d9_o.jpg

Mark Bradley has helmets on sale right now.
link

Scratch build the chest box out of sheet styrene, it can be done in a day or 2.
The blue and white squares are 1"x1" so scale off of that.

2" silver webbing for the leg straps.

Military surplus webbing for the chest box and belt.
MJF was selling the correct buckles, he may still have some.
The compad can be scratched from styrene as well (the originals where vacformed)
Belt rods and leg flares where made of wood (cheap, easy and screen accurate)
Rank cylinders where made of wood, you can use a dowel or metal rod/tubing and washers.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/16521872485_1d95839249_o.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7346/15899279994_1cf4cd88f6_o.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7457/16334398210_f2f25d3c06_o.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8601/16335588259_045a22f1d9_o.jpg

Thanks for the info. I already got a message from Mr. Bradly about the helmet. When I get the funds, I will be buying a helmet from him. I found an .stl for the compad on Thingiverse. As for the chest box, I don't have a vacuform chamber, so finding an.stl file for the chest box would be better.

You can make the box without vacforming it.
I made a 3/4 scale one for my niece for opening day of ep3.
It's made of 1/8" thick styrene.
openingday.jpg

Accept for the helmet that I already had I made her outfit from scratch in 3 afternoons.

The first box I made for myself was just card stock that I later covered in thin plasticard.
Wasn't till later that I has access to a vacformed one.

You can make the box without vacforming it.
I made a 3/4 scale one for my niece for opening day of ep3.
It's made of 1/8" thick styrene.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/Division6/Star Wars/openingday.jpg

Accept for the helmet that I already had I made her outfit from scratch in 3 afternoons.

The first box I made for myself was just card stock that I later covered in thin plasticard.
Wasn't till later that I has access to a vacformed one.

Nice suits. I'll figure something out for the chest box. If I can find dimensions, I'll go from there.

One prop that I would like to have to go with the suit is the hand scanner device used by Rookie One in the video game Star Wars Rebel Assault 2. Does anyone have a screen cap of the device, or know where I can find a screen cap of the scanner. I've googled for it with no luck.

Thingiverse has .stl files for the Compad and also some parts for the blaster if you search. I might even have have seen files for some of the knobs/buttons for the Chestbox on there as well, but I'm not 100% certain on that... those could have been for order on Shapeways.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back