Budget Wolf Build

Belfast Neil

After just about finishing my suit in time for Halloween last year I am convinced I can do a much better job in much less time. Ergo, I have decided to tackle the Wolf. The film undoubtedly sucks, and blows, but the Pred is pretty cool looking. Ditching the foamies armour as it is pretty flimsy and going to make everything from Foamex (Sintra). It's only £15 for an 8x4 sheet so well worth the money. Got myslef tooled up with a Dremel and Heatgun thanks to the beardie one at Christmas so game on...

Started with a torso DT dummy. Made a full one last year and it was a bloody pain to keep round the house. Also knew not to pack it with paper and cloth this time. Weighed a tonne and started ripping everywhere in the Summer heat.
DSC00260.jpg

Printed out every decent picture I could find of the Wolf and am just eyeballing all the pieces. Accuracy is way too time consuming and I'm not that bothered anyway. Using Vinman's approach and making templates of everything. Laid paper on the dummy and sketched out what fitted. Next stage was whacking them into Photoshop and splitting them up into layers so that the armour will all have depth and strength. Uselss tip which I'm sure most folk know anyway is to only draw half the template and use Photoshop to mirror it giving you perfect symmetry. And half the work.
DSC00264.jpg

1000D174.jpg

I printed them all out, cut them and markd them onto the Foamex. In came Stanley and his trusty knife and sliced the pieces out before attacking them all with the Dremel to add texture, scribings and some details. TESCO's finest clamps held everything in place whilst the 'No More Nails' set.
1000D208.jpg

1000D203.jpg

Fired up the heat gun and moulded the various pieces to shape before using more adhesive and clamping to repair where the heat had broken the bond.
1000D213.jpg

They need some minor cleaning up where glue has spilled out but I'm pretty happt how them came out. Going to make everything and do all the painting in one go this time. My living room spent most of 2008 resembling a shed so trying to keep the mess down this time round.
1000D206.jpg

1000D215.jpg

Backpack next, leaving the shins to last as they are by far the most awkward to make templates for. :p

cool armour what is foamex do you heat it up for it to harden or some thing

It's a sign making material, basically a condensed foam that is pretty rigid, easily cut, sanded and painted and also goes soft with heat so you can mould it again and again. It's called Sintra in the states, Foamex is just a UK brand name.

Got the backplate marked out for Dremelling tomorrow. Not sure if it is going to look chunky enough but may add some foamies to bulk up some areas if necessary. There are 3 layers of foamex on some parts so hopefully will suffice. Have no clue how I'm going to attach a backpack to this once it's been heated and moulded to fit be back.
1000D216.jpg

Got the back plate carve up and textured this morning. There must be a quicker way to do the metal hammered finish other than bouncing the Dremel all over the piece! Takes forever! Also got the heat onto it and moulded it to fit my back. Managed to melt through a small hole near the shoulder but am planning on Isoponing the shoulders anyway to add rigidity as they will have to hold the 2 cannons.
1000D217.jpg

1000D218.jpg

Onto the backpack...

Wow thats imprressive I wish I had the paitence to do something like that myself. I end up going the easy route and just buy something that allready sculpted. Thats gonna look even better once its all painted and on a suit.Well done.

Cheers for all the feedback guys, much appreciated. Made a start on the backpack today and it is sloooooooooooooooww... Still not sure exactly how I'm going to put all the pieces together but I've a basic cardboard form done and the three curved plate things.

Started making a former using some cardboard tubes, duct tape and a drinks bottle to get the ball end.
1000D224.jpg
1000D227.jpg

Eyeballed 2 templates for the top plates, doubled them in Photoshop then printed them. Cut the foamex with the bottom plate and the middle one being the same.
1000D228.jpg

Fired up the heat gun and moulded them over the top of the former. Had wanted to form the ends over the ball but a test showed this was just never going to work. Had to make do with the one plane and just curled the ends up.
1000D229.jpg

Then onto the Dremelling and this took ages. Will need to sand off the inner pieces to give a smoother appearance against the hammered edges but will do this when I'm ready to paint.
1000D230.jpg

1000D231.jpg

Out for the Liverpool v Real Madrid game tomorrow so won't get making the sides 'till Thursday or even Friday. Hardest part is going to be trying to cut the back of it to fit the form of the backplate, No idea in hell how I'm going to do it without wrecking it!! :p

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back