budget predator build .

so i dont need a exact copy of my head in order for the mask to fit me ?

most ppl here make an oversized latex mask filled with upholstery foam. as long as the finished mask measures more than you do, you're fine. to be safe you can crinkle aluminum foil and add it to your armature (head) to get your measurements before you start then add a ton more to get the bulk of the dome. all this is done before adding clay and keeps the weight of the sculpture down while being a means to verify your dimensions are large enough.

most ppl here make an oversized latex mask filled with upholstery foam. as long as the finished mask measures more than you do, you're fine. to be safe you can crinkle aluminum foil and add it to your armature (head) to get your measurements before you start then add a ton more to get the bulk of the dome. all this is done before adding clay and keeps the weight of the sculpture down while being a means to verify your dimensions are large enough.
ah i see thank you fayne .

badblood89 sorry if i took time to answer.... but no you do not need a perfect mold of your head for making a predator mask. Like Fayne said the first version of my pred mask was too short so i unmolded and redid it ... and yes too much people have OVERSIZED predator masks...it is up to you really. I would strongly say to use your imagination when it comes to sculpting and it does not need to be perfect reproduction of Predator 1 mask for example. Also I would say to take a lot of pictures and watch a LOT of video's about sculpting a alien head on youtube, the rest like details is up to your imagination! :D

YES of course plaster of Paris is OK to make a latex mask BUT it will not take all the sculpt details ! Plus you will need a LOT of plaster to make it .... yes it is the easy way of molding but also not the best one details wise and long term one. Have you thinked or tried ALGINATE?

YES of course plaster of Paris is OK to make a latex mask BUT it will not take all the sculpt details ! Plus you will need a LOT of plaster to make it .... yes it is the easy way of molding but also not the best one details wise and long term one. Have you thinked or tried ALGINATE?
ah i see i suggest silicone would be a better option its a bitt expensive here in my country so im afraid ill have to use plaster instead

Here is an example of my first version
dblgh8e-fd84a20a-a218-4209-a915-21f0d0db96fe.jpg

and the last version is the one in the DISCUSSIONS ABOVE! :D

Here is an example of my first version
View attachment 272083

and the last version is the one in the DISCUSSIONS ABOVE! :D
i can also see that your using a oil based clay am i
Indeed here silicone is expensive as well....!! SO YES ...plaster is the best when it comes to budget....
yes :( its not going to be easy though the only materials that i can choose from are water based clay and plaster to mold the mask #budget life yo

badblood89 I am using Monster Clay yes ..... wax and other stuff clay indeed :( But it is reusable yo ;) !!!!! Water based clay will do the trick pretty easy as well.... and very good to begin with. I prefer SOFT Monster Clay for example .....but sometimes you have to use harder Monster Clay for parts that does not have any base or armatures for example.

Oh no i am not talented .... if i would be able to show you true sculptors sculptures you would be AMAZED by their work .... my work is just noob stuff for them LOL :D

Oh no i am not talented .... if i would be able to show you true sculptors sculptures you would be AMAZED by their work .... my work is just noob stuff for them LOL :D
thanks again shogun i really appreciate the information and the tips and btw dont be too harsh on yourself i absolutely love your JIX XAR mask if i pronounced that right hahah ! (y)

damn, none of us even thought of this. I haven't done it but I've seen threads where ppl carve masks from foam then coat in rubber. some get amazing results like this one:
Foam Berserker In The Works

That's how I did my daughter's mask. I found an instructable that guided you through the process of using upholstery foam, and used that as a foundation.

But I wish I would've seen that Berserker thread before starting mine! NICE!!

44426612504_869e977857.jpg

43840605320_2326ea0ce5.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back