Budget builds Han Solo DL-44 and Deckard's PKD

d_jedi1

Sr Member
Now, I'm gonna start by saying that these WILL NOT be fully accurate builds. I'll get them to look as good as I can for what they are but they'll never be as good as high-end replicas.
I bought a couple of toys on Amazon to fit the bill. One was a laser gun and the other was an Airsoft springer Mauser.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AFK01YK/
(Can't find the Mauser on there anymore)
Anyway, I could see that they could be worked into halfway decent replicas. Not great, but decent. I cannibalized my old Hasbro DL-44 for the scope and flash supressor.
Blast001.jpgBlast002.jpg

Blast003.jpgBlast006.jpg
Blast004.jpg
Blast005.jpg
Blast007.jpg
Blast008.jpg
The Paint I chose for the first part of the PKD's finish is Rustoleum's Chrome. Once that dried, I applied India Ink and wiped most of it away, leaving streaks and spots on various places.
Blast009.jpgBlast013.jpgBlast012.jpgBlast011.jpgBlast010.jpg

Blast014.jpegBlast015.jpeg

I still have a lot of work to do but I'm enjoying these builds so far.
Oh yeah.. I forgot to mention that the Mauser still shoots. It may just be a springer but it's still pretty fun.

Looks like a great start! I just finished one of the PKD alikes today, I really like your paintjob it looks nice and vibrant but also worn. I was aiming for a similar look but my silver paint didn't work out too well. What did you use to fill the gap where the gold bullets were?

Thank you. I'm actually planning to hit the metallic parts with a smoky clearcoat to give the metal a semi-blued/used/aged look and painting over the silver on the grips with Amber.
For the cylinder section, I used a q-tip bottle from an old med-kit.
I cut it down quite a bit (for example, it's no longer truly round)
q-tip.jpg

Ah awesome, I love when household stuff can get repurposed. I ended up using a 1 inch pvc coupler trimmed down a bit. I'm curious to see how the Amber grips turn out!

I used turn-signal amber on the PKD grips (didn't get a shot in that state) and once that had dried, I shot the entire thing with a dark/smoky clearcoat.
Blast020.jpg
Blast021.jpg
On the DL-44, I haven't done much but I did the india ink/wipe off trick on the flash-guard.
Blast022.jpg
Blast023.jpg

Love the PKD! Bought one last night after looking at this thread! Seen a few others using this toy gun as well. Allways have wanted Deckards gun but any I've seen age been way out of my price range. I'm wondering how the real PKD grips would fit in relation to size.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back