Budget Boba Fett *New Weathering*

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Egon, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I had a few days off this week, and I thought I'd be more productive than marathoning some netflix...

This is about 12 hours of work (not including drying time). So far, it is about 4 dollars in. I had the styrene and paint. Gonna save up a bit for an accurate jump suit. The jetpack is gonna be most challenging part.

The girth belt is sitting in some dye right now, I'll post some pics when it is drying.

Photo Album - Imgur

I know there will be several large inaccuracies...but I just want to enjoy the build and do it at the best quality I can affod

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  2. vtswordfish

vtswordfish Sr Member

Re: Budget Boba Fett

Well done man, keep up the good work. Any ideas on what you'll do for a bucket? I think I've seen some scratchbuilds of the jetpack from styrene if you look around for them. The sister site TDH is a good place to go to!

3. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Very creative. $4?! You've got a challenge ahead for sure, but...mad props(y)thumbsup.

4. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Haha, nice work, looks great!

5. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

i bit more weathering and a quick clear coat. I died the belt, but it was a little bit too light. I spayed it with some "espresso" rattle can and then a bit of purple to keep it redish.

The buckles are from some bags I picked up years ago on clearance for 99 cents each. The leather straps are an old tattered belt that I just don't wear anymore. I will get better d rings once I get some more cash.

Photo Album - Imgur

6. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Very nice update(y)thumbsup

7. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Gotta love scratch-builds....that's what this place is about. Well done thus far!

8. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Started the Flak Jacket. I stopped by the local discount shop and picked up an offwhite sweatshirt for 4 dollars and transformed it into the flak jacket. I'll start the neck seal later tonight and add some stitching into the sleeves.

Photo Album - Imgur

looking at reference photos, and it seems like some of the flak jackets are weathered, othes aren't. Any conclusive images that'll help me??

9. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

taped the armor on to see how it fits! Not too bad for my first time stitching anything together!

The shape of the armor now presents a problem...it is not as formed as I would like and seems a smidge too large...I may trim it down if I still feel this way once i see it compared with everything else in scale.

whatya think fellas?

10. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Time to start the jet pack!

I have these poster tubes laying around and the crayons are piggybanks from the dollar store. I plan on using the WOF templates as a base.

The color scheme is still undecided...I would love a ESB styled fett, but the blue undersuit may be hard to come by if I can even find one in my almost nonexistant price range. I'm new to sewing, so I don't even know how much fabric I would need to do a jumpsuit...any ideas?

So I will hold off on the paint until I get the jumpsuit and helmet squared away.

11. Psicorp7

Psicorp7 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Great use of found items!
    The local thrift store is always a good place to check as well as Army Surplus.
    Another place is a uniform store for nurses and custodians. There are usually jumpsuits there for various jobs. Just remember to get two or three so you have enough to make the pockets and pouches!

12. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Got some work done on the jetpack! mostly cardboard. Using the WOF templates as a guideline.

Tips on what putty to use to fill everything in? My climate doesn't really allow for bondo or nasty stuff right now.

Would that foam insulation that expands be a good solution for keeping it sturdy inside the frame?

13. Weaselhammer

Weaselhammer Sr Member

I built my jetpack and helmet from WOF templates and cardboard, but I used resin to finish it I have pics of it both on my blog and on TDH . Be very careful with the expanding foam, it may work well but too much and it'll distort your hard work. You've done a great job so far with what you have, I bet this is gonna look great when you are done !

14. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Gettin the jetpack together!

15. whitehawk

whitehawk New Member

Great work

16. Metalfire

Metalfire New Member

Looking great so far! Very ingenious use of materials! Come check out the Mando Mercs costuming club, we are one of the sister groups to the 501st and do a ton of charity work and offer endless amounts of advice as well. (http://mercs.firespray.net/forum/index.php)

17. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

I got a bit more work done on the jetpack. I redid the canister area a bit to make it more flush. I tried replicating the angle of the pack a bit so when it sits on my back it will lean slightly forward.

I am not satisfied with the top cone, looking for a solution.

18. DrakeC13

DrakeC13 Member

That looks awesome!- wish I could make stuff on a budget :D

19. Hogosha

Hogosha Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I LOVE budget builds like this! Keep it up and post many pics!

20. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Re: Budget Boba Fett *Repainted*

Hey all,

So I didn't get a single chance to work on this throughout the last semester, but now it is summer and between my summer course, work, and the lady I've had a bit of time to work!

I decided to repaint this and try and get it a bit more accurate to the empire armor and look less like the prototype that went out on the promotional tour back in the day.

The plan now is to do a bust of Boba to display under my Empire poster.

anywho, I used Rustoleum sage, krylon italian olive, rustoleum metallic and some rattle can of yellow i had.

Thanks to the Dented Helmet for the decals!

Also, I'm going to be altering the flack vest to shorten the sleeves and get it a bit more accurate, though it'll be no where near screen accurate (along with the rest, heh)

The jetpack is under way. I am just working on getting the edges smooth and painting it, so pics soon.

hope you guys enjoy! sorry the light quality in the photos is lousy.

21. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Re: Budget Boba Fett *Jetpack* 99% Done

So forget homework...its a holiday!

Got the jetpack almost to completion.

*added another shot.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  22. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Re: Budget Boba Fett *Cape*

I don't know if anyone is following this anymore, but I'm going to post out of spite anyhow. :lol

Got some work done on the cape. The stripe is a bit off in the photo, its more red in real life.

Typical weather techniques. Scored up the bottom, crumpelled and misted the fabric with various colors (brown, red, black) then wetted it down and scraped it against the concrete then flung it around to dry and get a bit more beat up.

I debated holding onto it and riding my bike down the street to get some good tears, but decided I looked bizarre enough already. :rolleyes

Thanks!

23. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Just a few more progress pics of the weathering.

To get this effect, I grabbed some steel wool, green and blue acrylic paint and some paper towels.

Rubbed it down with steel wool and went at it with a tack cloth. Then I put some blue paint on a paper towel and rubbed it into the armor. Took a clean, dry paper towel and wiped up the excess and repeated the process with the green.

Looks much better.

24. poholio

poholio Active Member

Very well done! I love to see scratch projects come out so well! Bravo!

25. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Poking around the Dented Helmet, I found a thread about modding the Hasbro Helmet...and I had to try it.

I picked up this helmet at Target last year on clearance for 7 dollars, so I figured no harm done if I goof it up.

This thing...is...a BEAST to take apart. get ready to get your box cutter, screw driver, and dremel out.

So after gutting the grill in the front, it's actually an easy mod.

I simply cut the corners of the cheeks that connect to the top bezel of the visor and shortened then down, then reattached everything with the screws in the eye plate.

Then, I cut styrene out to fill back in the cheeks and used some joint compound to fill in some of the seams. These were glued in tight with high temp hot glue.

I vowed never to touch bondo again after a bad respiratory reaction, so joint compound is pretty much what I am stuck with. I think if i don't knock it around too much and seal it really well, it should do fine for my purposes.

26. sleepalot

sleepalot Active Member

Hey looking good for a scratch build! Love the creativity with the jetpack especially. Lets see that finished pic!

27. TelnetCarlos

TelnetCarlos Member

I am now following this thread until the end. Been looking to make my own bounty hunter costume.

Question, where can I find Styrene at? I live in So Cal. This should be fun to follow. You're making this thread into a tutorial and I appreciate that. Thanks! :)

28. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I got the styrene from a large supplier where I live. They are just down the road and make styrene for a lot of other companies for industrial use. Those little tags in potted plants at the Home Depot? That's them.

I know Hobby Lobby sells styrene, there really aren't any where I live. I suppose you could get some "For Sale" signs at wolly world and they'd do the trick, though they would be thin.

As far as a tutorial...unfortunately, I don't have a decent camera to take pictures, but I am going to try and be as indepth as a I can.

Making the trashcan armor is fairly common, but the way I weathered it, attached it (coming soon) and such is all over the map on threads and forums, so I'm going to try and consolidate it into my build thread.

This wouldn't be possible without everyone elses work.

Also, I am working on the jetpack still. I am making the rocket a bit more accurate.

Hopefully I get good results with the helmet.

That I will do a good job photographing the steps of painting.

29. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Bit of work on the modded hasbro helmet!

30. FudgeMando

FudgeMando Active Member

nice progress man and nice jetpack

31. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

More updates coming tonight after work and TDKR take 2.

32. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Wow, that helmet looks good. I might have to take a stab at that myself.

33. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Coming along...

Decided to repaint the helmet. Really disliked the first paint job. Loads of primer and a can of Rustoleum Silver. Gonna cut out the visor and replace it with a new darker one, hopefully using the rit dye method.

34. Egon

Egon Well-Known Member

Set up everything on a duct tape mannequin. waiting for the weather to turn to finish the paint on the helmet.