BSG - What order to watch from scratch?

joeranger

Sr Member
I convinced a friend to watch the new series. Is there a certain order to watching this if you were starting from scratch? (Not including Caprica)

There have been some flashback dvds and bonus material.

I convinced a friend to watch the new series. Is there a certain order to watching this if you were starting from scratch? (Not including Caprica)

There have been some flashback dvds and bonus material.

IMO I would skip Caprica.

Start with the mini series, and then the TV series.

I guess the other alternative would be to start with Caprica and then the BSG mini, then the TV series. I just think since Caprica was really S-L-O-W it might put your friend off to watch BSG.

Miniseries
1-3
Razor (Although most sets include it as the start of 4)
The Plan
Caprica

While Caprica isn't completely necessary, I do enjoy it. It was a slow build up, but the conclusion was worth it. I enjoyed seeing just how different Colonial society was before the war. I wish we had gotten another season or two so we could have seen the build up to the Cylon War and how the Cylons were treated before the war. But I guess that just wasn't meant to be.

dont forget the webepisodes - they go between season2 and 3

Well, there are two sets of webisodes. The ones he means are the ones dealing with the occupation, not the Cylon War. Those can be pretty much watched whenever because they're outside the main timeline of the show.

The Plan is an interesting aside, but not necessary to understanding the series.
I concur. The Plan was mildly interesting, but didn't really bring anything necessary to the storylines presented in the series.

Watch the Miniseries, Seasons 1 through 3, Razor, and Season 4 (in that order) and you'll know everything you need to know to have a complete understanding of the series. You still won't have all of the answers, but you'll know as much as the rest of us do. :D

I love BSG. I watched the whole series in the correct order, (including the great webisodes) then finished with "The Plan", which I'm sorry to say, literally sent me to sleep.

Thanks guys. I am a little jealous, I would love to watch BSG and Firefly for the first time again. I read an article about Serenity that said a producer ran Firefly out of order just to make sure it wasn't successful.

On a side note I am sure it has been discussed; If someone had never seen Star Wars, which order would you tell them to watch it?

“This is the story of love and loss, fathers and sons, and the foresight to retain international merchandising rights...this is the story of Star Wars; Let's begin with Part 4...

...'A long time ago – but somehow in the future'”

...'A long time ago – but somehow in the future'”

It's not "our" future; it is another civilization's history. ;)

I would tell someone to watch it in the order it was presented theatrically. Otherwise the "big reveal" of Vader is Luke's father loses everything.

That is, if they insist on watching all six films.

Kevin

Yeah, everything is pretty important. You shouldn't skip anything just because the series slows down a bit.

I've been meaning to try it, but has anyone tried to watch The Plan right after (without giving any spoilers) the speech by a certain someone about X-rays in the main series? It seems to be a logical point to watch The Plan, though I don't remember if the film reveals any spoilers about events in Season 4 (I didn't think there were any if I recall correctly).

I just feel that watching The Plan after the last episode is kinda anticlimactic.

The Plan is pretty much an afterthought... it deserves to be watched. But after watching the entire series. It's been a while since I've since it, but watching it before the end of the series might jeopardize/spoil some things.

Have to agree with this^^

Watching "The Plan" before the rest of the series could be spoilerish. I think (at best) you can get away with watching it after the first few episodes of the 4th season. Personally I watched it after finishing the series.

It was okay. Nothing truly staggering. Just nice to see the characters one more time.

Kevin

Watching "The Plan" before the rest of the series could be spoilerish. I think (at best) you can get away with watching it after the first few episodes of the 4th season. Personally I watched it after finishing the series.

It was okay. Nothing truly staggering. Just nice to see the characters one more time.

Kevin

It was interesting to see the different take on some of the scenes, and it was nice to see a little more of the Cylon culture, but you're not going to miss anything staggering if you don't watch it.

Kevin
If you wanted to watch The Plan before the finale, I'd watch it after the first episode of the mid-season break of season 4. Mainly for one particular reveal.

No, no, no. Do not skip any seasons. This is not a show where you can say 'eh, screw this season'. You'll miss stuff which will be important later, ESPECIALLY the Algae planet sequence of events!

I know, I was just messin around, even thought it was more of the boring season, it DID provide entertainment.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back