BSG 1978 Theatrical Pilot Blu-Ray

Did a google search and found this:

65949_608172542532656_63861683_n_zps1485375d.jpg

I'd venture to say they're coming soon. Amazon dropped the whole series to 26 bucks. That usually happens right before an announcement.

Too bad they couldn't do a restoration and re-composite the special effects like they are doing with Star Trek: TNG. If they only remaster that will make the special effects look even worse.

I'd rather see the original effects as they are, I appreciate the work done at the time. Really looking forward to this.

I'd rather see the original effects as they are, I appreciate the work done at the time.

Well... I would rather see the original effects too. I wouldn't want to see an updated CGI fest of effects like the remastered ST:TOS Bluray set (unless like that set you could switch back and forth).

But having said that- the original BSG effects look TERRIBLE on dvd! The opening shot of the Galactica in "Saga of a Star Child"... I could literally see the stand the model is mounted to! The compositing effects are totally "revealed" for some reason.

And like I said that is for the dvd boxset. I couldn't imagine what it would look like on Bluray. :wacko

So I would be in favour of a digital clean up of the optical effects so long as the original effect itself remains. A good example would be the snowspeeder in ESB- making the cockpit walls less transparent while not increasing the black matte line against the white snow background.

Kevin

Well... I would rather see the original effects too. I wouldn't want to see an updated CGI fest of effects like the remastered ST:TOS Bluray set (unless like that set you could switch back and forth).

But having said that- the original BSG effects look TERRIBLE on dvd! The opening shot of the Galactica in "Saga of a Star Child"... I could literally see the stand the model is mounted to! The compositing effects are totally "revealed" for some reason.

And like I said that is for the dvd boxset. I couldn't imagine what it would look like on Bluray. :wacko

So I would be in favour of a digital clean up of the optical effects so long as the original effect itself remains. A good example would be the snowspeeder in ESB- making the cockpit walls less transparent while not increasing the black matte line against the white snow background.

Kevin

I agree, while I wouldn't want to see any of the original FX replaced (except for maybe the 4 eye ladies, I always have a hard time focusing on them) I would like some cleaning up of the composites to be done ala Star Wars SE. Getting rid of matte lines, bad comps, boosting contrast, etc. would be good, esp. for a Blu Ray release. With the HD image quality of Blu Ray the movie will almost certainly look like utter crap without any restoration work and touching up of the old FX, flaws that you can already see now on lesser mediums would probably be greatly amplified on Blu Ray and look worse than they already do.

The only really bad shot to me was the first shot of the Basestar as the Raiders approach, some of the camera track and other stage gear showed through the matte. But I like to see this stuff as it was.

Most of this kind of stuff is only visible on TV, theatrical prints were much more clean. In the early 80s Kodak made a special low contrast print stock specifically for video transfers. It allowed a more faithful reproduction of the film color and contrast during the transfer, which also allowed the flaws in the matte work to show up more. The higher contrast of a projection print hid it. ILM and other effects providers started making two copies of each matte roll and stacked them together, this doubled the matte density and eliminated most of the "ghosts" and transparency.

I doubt all the separate photographic elements still exist.

No doubt and that sucks. I don't want them to give it the CGI treatment but if they had the original elements it would be awesome to see them redone with modern tech. If they replace the models I won't go near the Blu-ray.

Last edited:
I doubt all the separate photographic elements still exist.

Shouldn't matter as long as they have a good master to work off of. If they have film stock they can scan that in and if they have a digital master of some sort then it would probably be even easier to re-master and clean up.

Shouldn't matter as long as they have a good master to work off of. If they have film stock they can scan that in and if they have a digital master of some sort then it would probably be even easier to re-master and clean up.
Sure, it could be cleaned up of specks and dirt, and the colors adjusted, but composited effects are generations away from the original negatives of each element, so they'd never look as good as what they were able to do with SW and ST:TNG.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back