Breaking Bad Props

@Alive, this is GREAT info! Going to edit my post above and add that in! This is exactly why this community is so good. I searched and searched on the 7800 and assumed the buttons had to do with size, but couldn't find it. So glad you got that info!

Just to clarify what you are saying on the MSA Advantage 1000 Respirators... There are two different types of strapping: one that has large plastic "rivets" that hold the strap to the mask and another style, that does not, correct? We know both a Large and a Medium mask are used in the show (don't know how many of each), but at least from the photos I have posted, it appears that the Medium mask has the plastic rivets and the Large mask does not. Is that correct?

Got in my first mask today, a size medium with the plastic rivets on the sides. Correct filters should be here tomorrow.... but first, this bad-boy needs a bath!

And... for what it is worth, the bag this came in has 508408 on it...

attachment.php

Attachments

• breaksing-bad-msa-advantage-1000-mask.jpg
    breaksing-bad-msa-advantage-1000-mask.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 5,698
@Alive, this is GREAT info! Going to edit my post above and add that in! This is exactly why this community is so good. I searched and searched on the 7800 and assumed the buttons had to do with size, but couldn't find it. So glad you got that info!

Just to clarify what you are saying on the MSA Advantage 1000 Respirators... There are two different types of strapping: one that has large plastic "rivets" that hold the strap to the mask and another style, that does not, correct? We know both a Large and a Medium mask are used in the show (don't know how many of each), but at least from the photos I have posted, it appears that the Medium mask has the plastic rivets and the Large mask does not. Is that correct?

Correct, there are two different types of strapping...

16096930004_cdda8bae16_b.jpg

There are both medium sized masks, imo the majority of the MSA 1000 gas masks used in the shwow are a sized medium with "rivet" straps.

Thanks for showing the two and for the clarification. I agree with you that a Med with the plastics rivets is the most common. Now... my favorite thing is watching Jesse wear the mask with the large CN style canisters and in the middle of the scene it switching to the shortstack filters... LOL. Continuity be damned!

Season 1 vs Season 2 canisters. Not sure why, but I like the Season 2 look much better.

attachment.php

Attachments

• breaking-bad-season1-season2-gas-mask.jpg
    breaking-bad-season1-season2-gas-mask.jpg
    515.4 KB · Views: 2,395
And Season 5 Mask. Something REALLY important that I learned about this mask, especially if you are buying it used: this mask is built to accept 40mm NATO style threaded filters However, the 6001 filters are meant for bayonet type lugs and will not readily go onto a 40mm threaded mask. 3M does make an adapter, specifically for the 7800 mask that is used to allow bayonet type filters to be attached. This adapter is a "3M Cartridge/Filter Adapter 701". The part # is 70070408508. New 7800S masks come with these adapters but if you get a used mask, it may not.

attachment.php

Attachments

• breaking-bad-season5-gas-mask.jpg
    breaking-bad-season5-gas-mask.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 2,288
Last edited:
Yes Heizenberg. I won them (sunglasses on eBay). They arrived Saturday and I could not be more satisfied. The pictures are so well lit they made the minor flaws look worse then they really are. They are in excellent condition. Wow. How funny that I am just now joining this site and seeing this lol.

GREAT price. That is half what I paid for our pair.

GREAT price. That is half what I paid for our pair.

Yeah, and it's a few dollars less than the previous 2 times they were on eBay. I'll admit though, seeing the picture you posted above made my heart skip a beat. I thought, "Crap! did I just spend $198 on counterfeit glasses?". But I seriously doubt that's the case. If counterfeits were out there, the web would be full of them. I'm sure the difference in print can be explained.

**** SUBJECT: Walter White metal framed eyeglasses, first 4 seasons ****

There has been some past discussion in this thread about this subject. I am seeking employment as a professional Walter White celebrity look-alike. I have spent many weeks (and many dollars lol) researching and tracking these down. The closest ones currently available are Hilco SG-104 safety eyeglass frames (color BROWN). They are also marketed as "OnGuard SG-104", "OnGuard A2 SG-104", and "A2 SG-104". In any event, you will always see "Hilco" written in the temple. You can google these models and see plenty of images. None clearly show the "loops" but they are there. They are used for locking the removable side shields in place. If you want to see them in person, go to the Vision Center of a Walmart Supercenter and have someone point out the "A2 safety eyeglass frames". (The Vision Centers in regular Walmart stores won't have them.)

There was mention of "SEARS brand". Sears simply distributed Hilco frames, they didn't make them.

Why did Walter White wear those? Well here's MY theory. As a High School chemistry teacher he was required to wear them on the job, for protection from potentially hazardous demonstrations. More than likely the school paid him a subsidy toward their purchase. Holding down 2 jobs and living paycheck to paycheck, he used them for his own personal use (with the shields removed) rather than spend his own money on "regular" glasses. I can speak from personal experience. I worked at a Naval shipyard and I was issued a pair of prescription safety glasses every couple of years. The selection of frames was actually quite stylish. Removing the shields and using them for personal use was common.

Back when the show was first in pre-production SEARS was probably the best place to find a good selection of safety glass frames. A prop or wardrobe assistance was probably sent to a nearby SEARS to pick out some examples. This speaks volumes to the level of detailed thought that goes into character development (In cases where the writers/producers are really on the ball anyway).

I can't give all the details (I was requested not to by someone in the safety eyeglass industry). But 1.) Walter White definitely wore frames made by Hilco, and, 2.) The design of the temples had to be altered slightly due to legal reasons (not associated with the show). That's why the exact design is no longer available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Can't say for sure, but the print inside varies from the original pair we have.

Been doing some research Art. The "INJ" on yours stands for Injected. There apparently was a model marketed as "Smith Optics Turntable Injected" or "Smith Optics Turntable Injected 1ES 0G". Injection refers to a frame manufacturing process, and other sunglass companies offer an "Injected" line. Best I can tell, it's a less expensive alternative to acetate frames. The link below gives a general explanation.

http://www.perfectglassesusa.com/content/difference_between_quality_frames

Doh! Sounds like I got the highly priced cheap pair! :lol Wonder if there is a noticable difference between the two and if that difference could be notable in the originals?

Been doing some research Art. The "INJ" on yours stands for Injected. There apparently was a model marketed as "Smith Optics Turntable Injected" or "Smith Optics Turntable Injected 1ES 0G". Injection refers to a frame manufacturing process, and other sunglass companies offer an "Injected" line. Best I can tell, it's a less expensive alternative to acetate frames. The link below gives a general explanation.

http://www.perfectglassesusa.com/content/difference_between_quality_frames

**** SUBJECT: Walter White metal framed eyeglasses, first 4 seasons ****

There has been some past discussion in this thread about this subject. I am seeking employment as a professional Walter White celebrity look-alike. I have spent many weeks (and many dollars lol) researching and tracking these down. The closest ones currently available are Hilco SG-104 safety eyeglass frames (color BROWN). They are also marketed as "OnGuard SG-104", "OnGuard A2 SG-104", and "A2 SG-104". In any event, you will always see "Hilco" written in the temple. You can google these models and see plenty of images. None clearly show the "loops" but they are there. They are used for locking the removable side shields in place. If you want to see them in person, go to the Vision Center of a Walmart Supercenter and have someone point out the "A2 safety eyeglass frames". (The Vision Centers in regular Walmart stores won't have them.)

Hi Wray1981,

Would it be possible for you to post photos of your pair of Hilco safety glasses, if you own them? Particularly photos that show the little loops. I'm not fully convinced that the Hilco frames are the closest possible frames to the ones used onscreen, maybe you can show me otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doh! Sounds like I got the highly priced cheap pair! :lol Wonder if there is a noticable difference between the two and if that difference could be notable in the originals?

Maybe side-by-side they might look and feel slightly different, but I'd imagine it would take close inspection. Of course the real question is... Just which type did Cranston wear? The earliest date on a Turntable Injected product page I can find is 2008. If that's indeed the year Smith made those available, I would think Cranston wore the acetate frames. If I remember right, the show began airing in 2008, so the sunglasses were probably picked out in 2007 or earlier. But hey, who knows. In any event I can have fun busting the chops of another Heisenberg look-alike and call him a "poser" if he is wearing INJ lol. Of course most don't even wear Smiths at all.

Last edited:
Hi Wray1981,

Would it be possible for you to post photos of your pair of Hilco safety glasses, if you own them? Particularly photos that show the little loops. I'm not fully convinced that the Hilco frames are the closest possible frames to the ones used onscreen, maybe you can show me otherwise.

The picture is the temple of the SG-104 (color ANTIQUE PEWTER). They are available in BROWN, but, get this, not from Walmart. According to the Vision Center manager you can only order the exact color and size that's on display. I'm a little ticked about it because I have a 15% discount coupon that the Walmart optometrist gave me when I had my prescription renewed there. I have ordered a BROWN pair (also larger) online from MyEyewear2Go. Frames only. I'm sure I will be happy with the color, but I want to make sure before I pay for the prescription lenses.

If you want a virtual carbon copy of what he wore (without the loops), check out the link below. I have had them in hand and held them up to my wide screen TV with a paused image of WW. I would challenge anyone to find a better match. But the damned things only come in black or gold!

In any event, the loops are important to me because I want them to show up in close-up shots (like the classic WW head shot).

I'll be sure to post better pictures of the SG-104 frames when I get them. I think the bottom line is any final choice will involve some compromise (exact color-vs-exact shape-vs-loops). I suppose if I started making real money at this I would buy the RX-554 (link below) and pay someone to professionally repaint them and tack weld loops to the temples.

http://www.rx-safety.com/prescripti...asses/prescription-safety-glasses-rx-554.html

SG104_Loop.JPG

Last edited:
In case anyone reading has never noticed the "loops" we are talking about. Here's a picture I took of my TV screen with a paused image of WW. I sent the pic to a safety eyeglass rep and he assured me they are Hilco. I also found a patent filed in 1999 for the temple design. Note that the temple is not any thicker between the hinge and loop (as they are in current models). That's the design change I spoke of in my original post. What I wouldn't give to be at a flea market or estate sale and find a pair of these sitting in a box. Definitely possible, but a long shot for sure.

WW_Glasses.JPG

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back