Boromir, Full Costume Build (Pic Heavy)

Love the attention to detail, and what a clever idea for the padded gambeson. I had a similar project and I ended up "painting" the lines on instead of sewing; this looks FAR more realistic!

Ok, I finally have some more progress to show off!

The sleeve detail is pretty much done after many, many, many, MANY hours of sewing the bits of wire on by hand into the right pattern so I can finally move on! :wacko
DSC09314.jpg

I don't think my neck has ever been so sore after being hunched over for so long :S.
I'm fairly happy with how it's turned out so far, though I just know I'm going to look for ways to improve on it in the future :p

I also recieved my Stansborough cloak a couple of weeks ago and today my Noble Collection Elven Brooch arrived in the mail so of course I had to take a pic of that too :p:
DSC09315.jpg

Now I can get on with sewing the rest of the inner tunic so look out for more pics soon! :)

Amazing work. The more I sew, the more appreciation I have for this type of work. Like you said, it can be tedious. Looking forward to seeing this completed! You should change the name of your thread to "One does not simply create a Boromir costume."

You should change the name of your thread to "One does not simply create a Boromir costume."

Haha I was wondering how long it would be until something like that was said!

So I've finally started assembling the under-tunic and it looks like this costume is actually getting somewhere now!:
DSC09320.jpg

Note: The Buttons and whole front section is just pinned at the moment, still trying to work out perfect button placement, etc, so it looks a little uneven in parts.

Update time!

The Under Tunic is about 98% complete! Just needs the inside layer of the collar sewn down and of course a good splattering of mud! (Which I'll get to at the end :p)

So here's the collar before being attached:
DSC09325.jpg

And here's how it's all looking so far, fully lined and hemmed:
DSC09332.jpg

Not looking to bad so far though I'm already thinking of ways to improve it in the future! :)

My wig arrived today, not too bad though mabye a bit too much on the blonde side. Will have to see how it looks styled properly with the outfit and facial hair (It's human hair so the plus side is I can dye it darker if it doesn't look right.)

Heading into town tomorrow to buy some leather and materials to sculpt, mould and cast the buckles and other detail parts so that's going to be some money quickly spent :$

I'm looking forward to getting off the sewing machine and back out into the shed to break things up a bit :)

You mention events you'll be at in October - I hope it's near me because I so want to see this in person. It's just spectacular... Thanks for the in progress photos too! I love watching pieces like this come together.

You mention events you'll be at in October - I hope it's near me because I so want to see this in person. It's just spectacular... Thanks for the in progress photos too! I love watching pieces like this come together.

I'll be wearing this to a convention here in Melbourne (Armageddon Expo) if I can get it done in time.
I'm also heading over to New Zealand for The Hobbit World Premier with Red Carpet Tours so I plan to take it over there with me too.

Also, I made a start on the Surcoat:
DSC09337.jpg

Just got to tailor it more in a few places then it just needs the detailing. I'm about to go off and have a go at making the trim.

Last edited:
Aw... other side of the world from me. So amazing you're going to the premier!! Hopefully there will be lots of photos.

The surcoat looks good!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back