Boba Fett Helmet in stainless steel

added the vent at the back today to finish the back. was not easy to cut out the vent and I m not 100percent satisfied with the whole thing. all this welding makes the metal move a lot, but with a bit of paint it may look good enough. I added the back now and the following step will be to clean up everything and bring all in shape a little bit. than I m ready for the ears.

right. saw it when I was home after welding and comparing with some references. the dome should be rotated a little bit to the left. also the whole face/ lower jaw should be a little bit more forward. well, this is not gonna be a perfect helmet, but robust at least:)

cleaned up the whole helmet a little bit after welding in a kind of neckring to give the opening a little bit more stability and a 2nd layer at the vent. the visor looks a little bit more accurate now I think. from the front it dont look so bad at all.

Last edited:
thank you.

Very nice! Do you need my shipping address?

well, you may would get more work on it than fun:)
I think I m not really a fan of steel. its too hard. I m grinding for hours and all that happens is, I m burning my hands. but well, today I made the left ear and the lower part of the right/ rangefinder. took me nearly an hour to drill the 3 holes in the lower part. so slow. but the front is looking not bad now, just the sight from the side is not really correct. the visor should be more forward, but its impossible to fix. we will see how its looking when its painted. thats the part I m looking forward to. the damaged paint layers...

the next days I ll have to build the rangefinder and must find a solution to make it movable, but not to loose. maybe I ll use a kind of spring to hold it in place.

the next days I ll have to build the rangefinder and must find a solution to make it movable, but not to loose. maybe I ll use a kind of spring to hold it in place.

if you're looking for it to remain static for the most part, use a chicago screw / binding post w/ rubber grommets/washers, making it pivot at the bottom of the stalk

That's assuming you're not looking for something mechanical or fancy...

thanks for the advices tubachris85x. I ll get some rubber and spring washers and try these. not going to build a servo, just mechanical.

finished the rangefinder holding/ ear today. so the helmet is finished now, just missing the rangefinder and some fine sanding. maybe I could make some better pictures tomorrow or so.

finished the helmet today. just some little corrections on some details and I ll sandblast, filler and polish a little bit tomorrow so I could start painting on monday. here are some better pictures. really a rough looking and not really accurate helmet, but the more I watch the finished work, the more I like it. looks really damaged, and I m looking forward to how it will look like with the paint on it.

I just found your build and the helmet turned out great!! I cant wait to see it painted .good idea using the stainless bowl and if you ever have any questions about working with steel ill be more than happy to help you out.

I just found your build and the helmet turned out great!! I cant wait to see it painted .good idea using the stainless bowl and if you ever have any questions about working with steel ill be more than happy to help you out.

thank you very much. as I said in earlier in this thread, I was inspired to do this absolutely by your boba fett helmet, and I think yours might be much more accurate and of course welded like a profi that I am not:) the bowl is also not a perfect solution and its awesome how you can really sculpt the metal. a solution could be to cut the bowl into a half ant weld in a small strip to get the oval form. anyway, my helmet fits me so its ok, and it was was the cheaper and shorter way.
when it comes to the pain, I m also exited how the raw metal will shine through the damaged areas. I saw the video of yours, painted by the client and it looks a little bit that the metal is painted completely, but I m not sure though. would be a little bit sad, to see nothing of the metal of your great build, but its looking very nice anyway.
also exited to see how the kylo ren helmet comes out, even though this is not my most favorite helmet though.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back