Boba Fett Helmet in stainless steel

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by alienbuilder, Jun 26, 2015.

1. alienbuilder

alienbuilder Well-Known Member

somehow I cant let my hands of these kind of stuff. bought a stainless steel bowl these days. any ideas, what this is going to be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. Mean Obiwan

Mean Obiwan Well-Known Member

Re: my new project... ???

Boba or Jango? ;)

3. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Well I have absolutely no clue whatsoever it is you're going to build here ...

[​IMG]

however the grin on your face when shooting that bowl is . . . priceless :lol

Chaim

MAAZ likes this.
  4. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Thermal detonator?

5. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

How big is the bowl?

6. UNDYz

UNDYz New Member

BB-8? I'm just guessing that's the eye you drew on it?

7. Blue Leader

Blue Leader Well-Known Member

You're going to make a salad?

Chaank likes this.
  8. RogueTrooper

RogueTrooper Well-Known Member

I'd say a crime scene...because there is a creepy looking dude's reflection in the bowl.:lol...actually it looks exactly like the Ikea lamp my grandma couldn't figure out how to unwrap.;)

9. ChameleonOne

ChameleonOne Active Member

Boba Fett springs to mind...

10. alienbuilder

hahaha, yes I want to make a Boba Fett helmet now... maybe just because I want to paint it. I think the damaged surface is very interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anyway, I m planning to build the helmet similar to the one GoldPointProps did: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=229905. But because I dont have such awesome skills with metal sheets I will probably go an easier way starting with the use of a simple bowl instead of building the whole dome by myself. so this helmet will not be a 100% movie accurate one, but hopefully a nice and cheap piece to display. I also hope my welding skills are enough for this thin material.

hahaha, ... the reflection worked well. was not sure if anyone will notice at all. by the way: when I got this bowl and saw the reflection, the long history of mirrors in art came to me in mind. maybe you know the famous drawing by M.C. Escher...

[​IMG]

another famous example is this painting by Van Eyck:

[​IMG]

for painters, mirrors were a way to show them self in the picture and in a way, to express their vanity :)
    anyway, these round mirrors are always kind of interesting. unfortunately I ll have to make everything a little bit less shiny before paining.

mugatu likes this.
  11. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Yes I do know all those paintings with mirrors ... I used to be an Art student ... a long time ago ... and nowadays as an illustrator/photographer I pick up on such tiny details when folks post pictures online, hence I had to mention the smirk on your face :)

Will be curious to see how you transform that shiny bowl into a weathered Boba Fett helmet :wacko

Chaim

12. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this reminds me of the camera crew being seen in buff's hub cap before he peels out to chase down marty in the tunnel
    [​IMG]

Sym-Cha likes this.
  13. alienbuilder

ha, never saw this in the movie though!... since now:)

its got a diameter of 20 cm. could be bigger, but it fits my head perfectly. next size were 25 cm. I think with the ears on it, it will look good in size.

mugatu likes this.
  14. mugatu

Awesome, man. I cannot wait to see how you do this!

15. alienbuilder

thank you,

started work today and I hope most of the metal work will be done until next week. just bended the face shield and the back of the helmet today and welded on 3mm thick stripes, at the inside of the face shield to add thickness and the visible stripe at the backpart. welding works better than expected, even though I don't have that much experience with stainless steel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also added the famous dent today. was a little bit to late with the camera, but you might see the glowing a little bit after welding. immediately after welding it looked like a kind of blastershot:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

is it a helmet, or a new deathstar?

[​IMG]

mugatu and Shrubpig like this.
  16. joberg

joberg Master Member

Will follow your thread with interest...where did you get that bowl btw?

17. alienbuilder

I m always a little bit lazy and found it on amazon. I bought this one in 20 cm:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002STYCQY?&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

meanwhile I found this one for half the prize, but dont know how thick it is... its from ikea

http://www.amazon.de/IKEA-Schüssel-...sbs_201_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=0563Q7K7FATZGGNXH6W4

today I made one step forward and 2 back, wanted to give the visor a little bit more thickness and welded in some 2mm pieces, but realized that it would be much more precise to buy just a 3mm piece without adding so much weight, the visor is not so much material though. so I ll do this tomorrow.

mugatu likes this.
  18. joberg

joberg Master Member

Thanks for the info alienbuilder...I'm on my way to Ikea as we speak;)

19. alienbuilder

:)
    yesterday I bought some new 3mm thick steel piece, but I had to realize that bender this one is not so easy. finally I cut out the face plate first and it worked acceptable. but lost a little bit of time. I welded the face on the dome than and hope to be able to add the cheeks and the ear-underconstrucktion tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to weld in screws into the 4 holes to fix the visor later.

20. alienbuilder

today I nearly finished the front. cut out the dome arrows and welded a small piece behind. than I added the part under the ears and finished the cheeks. hopefully tomorrow the back will be finished so I can start building the ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

knnyjay, mugatu, Nopal and 2 others like this.
  21. alienbuilder

added the vent at the back today to finish the back. was not easy to cut out the vent and I m not 100percent satisfied with the whole thing. all this welding makes the metal move a lot, but with a bit of paint it may look good enough. I added the back now and the following step will be to clean up everything and bring all in shape a little bit. than I m ready for the ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mugatu likes this.
  22. Mean Obiwan

I just gotta ask, have you put it on yet?

23. alienbuilder

yes, fits pretty straight:)

24. Mean Obiwan

Awesome. The bowl alone would've made it to my head before it made in to the work bench lol

25. joberg

joberg Master Member

I love the kleine bump on this helmet ;) Looking good for sure!

26. matty matt

matty matt Sr Member

This is really cool. Great work!

27. dday

dday Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

alienbuilder; Great work, subscribing :D

It's probably wayyy too late, but it feels like the dent is too far back?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  28. alienbuilder

right. saw it when I was home after welding and comparing with some references. the dome should be rotated a little bit to the left. also the whole face/ lower jaw should be a little bit more forward. well, this is not gonna be a perfect helmet, but robust at least:)

cleaned up the whole helmet a little bit after welding in a kind of neckring to give the opening a little bit more stability and a 2nd layer at the vent. the visor looks a little bit more accurate now I think. from the front it dont look so bad at all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
    mugatu, Yrien and Dakakan like this.
  29. joberg

joberg Master Member

Looks very menacing already; good job!

30. mugatu

Very nice! Do you need my shipping address?

31. Cbstudios

Cbstudios Active Member

Looks fantastic! Star Wars helmets in metal always look amazing

32. alienbuilder

thank you.

well, you may would get more work on it than fun:)
    I think I m not really a fan of steel. its too hard. I m grinding for hours and all that happens is, I m burning my hands. but well, today I made the left ear and the lower part of the right/ rangefinder. took me nearly an hour to drill the 3 holes in the lower part. so slow. but the front is looking not bad now, just the sight from the side is not really correct. the visor should be more forward, but its impossible to fix. we will see how its looking when its painted. thats the part I m looking forward to. the damaged paint layers...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the next days I ll have to build the rangefinder and must find a solution to make it movable, but not to loose. maybe I ll use a kind of spring to hold it in place.

mugatu likes this.
  33. tubachris85x

tubachris85x Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

if you're looking for it to remain static for the most part, use a chicago screw / binding post w/ rubber grommets/washers, making it pivot at the bottom of the stalk

That's assuming you're not looking for something mechanical or fancy...

34. alienbuilder

thanks for the advices tubachris85x. I ll get some rubber and spring washers and try these. not going to build a servo, just mechanical.

finished the rangefinder holding/ ear today. so the helmet is finished now, just missing the rangefinder and some fine sanding. maybe I could make some better pictures tomorrow or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yrien and mugatu like this.
  35. alienbuilder

finished the helmet today. just some little corrections on some details and I ll sandblast, filler and polish a little bit tomorrow so I could start painting on monday. here are some better pictures. really a rough looking and not really accurate helmet, but the more I watch the finished work, the more I like it. looks really damaged, and I m looking forward to how it will look like with the paint on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MAAZ and Yrien like this.
  36. Badgersbunk

Badgersbunk Active Member

Looks great as it is even without paint.

37. mugatu

Oh, my! Now that is nice!

38. GoldPointProps

GoldPointProps Active Member

I just found your build and the helmet turned out great!! I cant wait to see it painted .good idea using the stainless bowl and if you ever have any questions about working with steel ill be more than happy to help you out.

39. alienbuilder

thank you very much. as I said in earlier in this thread, I was inspired to do this absolutely by your boba fett helmet, and I think yours might be much more accurate and of course welded like a profi that I am not:) the bowl is also not a perfect solution and its awesome how you can really sculpt the metal. a solution could be to cut the bowl into a half ant weld in a small strip to get the oval form. anyway, my helmet fits me so its ok, and it was was the cheaper and shorter way.
    when it comes to the pain, I m also exited how the raw metal will shine through the damaged areas. I saw the video of yours, painted by the client and it looks a little bit that the metal is painted completely, but I m not sure though. would be a little bit sad, to see nothing of the metal of your great build, but its looking very nice anyway.
    also exited to see how the kylo ren helmet comes out, even though this is not my most favorite helmet though.

40. alienbuilder

sandblasted and brushed the helmet and its parts today. now its finished to be painted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yrien, mugatu, ARKM and 1 other person like this.
  41. joberg

joberg Master Member

Very, very nice indeed:cool

42. MCM

MCM Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The sandblasting really cleaned things up. I can't wait to see the paint job. How much does this guy weigh now?

43. CastleFett

CastleFett New Member

how heavy is it lol

44. GoldPointProps

GoldPointProps Active Member

wow that's cool to know my work is inspiring people.im not sure if he let the metal shine through or painted the metal on. Your cast aluminum clone trooper helmet turned out awesome. I've been wanting to get into aluminum casting myself.

45. alienbuilder

:) dont know because I didnt weight it yet... but I would say it could be around 3 kg, so also not so light, but ok.
    GoldPointProps. well than, if you decide to do some aluminum casting and have any questions, just let me know than :)

did the first layer of color today. started with a gray tone. the boba fett guys know: to do all the demage is like a painting... hell, very complicated. so I doubt that it will really turn out movie accurate in this case too. I m using templates, but just transfer them free by hand. well, and the colors might not fit 100% too. just using what I get. but I m still exiting what it will look, when I can rub up the latex again.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  46. alienbuilder

after gray yesterday it came black today. also finishing the other parts. today green over red for the left ear and these sandcolor over black for the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

47. Jay Tomlin

Jay Tomlin New Member

This looks awesome! I can't wait to see the finished helmet! This has made me want to look at making my own, not out of metal though. :p

48. James Kenobi 1138

James Kenobi 1138 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

49. alienbuilder

use the force boba...!

today: green over black, visor and cheeks stay black. added also the white applications on both ears so I can do the small black signs there tomorrow. than I ll do the darker green for the back of the helmet and the yellow stripes too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50. alienbuilder

some pictures of today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]