Blade Runner Voight-Kampff Operator Card

white43

As no-one seems to be doing the VK Operator Cards anymore, thought I'd try my hand at doing one. I'm kinda following Beastmaster's design - but changing it at the bottom.

1 - does anyone know of any large resolution Voight Kampff logos? I've Googled for it, but can only find small ones!

2 - Anyone know what the Chinese on the back of Beastmasters card says?

mybladerunner.com-deckard-card-2.jpg

3 - How do people feel about QR codes on cards? Or bar codes?

Logo from DVDs, I think. And Tom Southwell?

If you ask me, a barcode or mag strip would be fine, but QR codes hadn't been invented in 1982, so I would avoid those.

With my fan-made BR stuff, I've tried to stick to what has already been established by Tom Southwell, and what would plausibly match that aesthetic, as far as fonts & graphics go. I bought an old graphic arts catalog from 1982, hoping to discover some of the stuff used in BR, but I didn't, and yet I managed to find a couple things that looked like they would fit in BR.

I hope that helps.

-MJ

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2975634.png
    vlcsnap-2975634.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 133
  • voight-kampff_logo.jpeg
    voight-kampff_logo.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 150

If you ask me, a barcode or mag strip would be fine, but QR codes hadn't been invented in 1982, so I would avoid those.

With my fan-made BR stuff, I've tried to stick to what has already been established by Tom Southwell, and what would plausibly match that aesthetic, as far as fonts & graphics go. I bought an old graphic arts catalog from 1982, hoping to discover some of the stuff used in BR, but I didn't, and yet I managed to find a couple things that looked like they would fit in BR.

I hope that helps.

-MJ

Excellent, thanks For the attachments! I'll prob stay away from the QR Code. I just can't reproduce the lower part of the existing card, so was going to do something new.

Looking good and, as you know, Propsummit is your best site to get all of the info you'll need:)

Funny enough I started there and have had no responses!

I just can't reproduce the lower part of the existing card, so was going to do something new.

You mean the triangles? What are you creating the card in? Photoshop? Illustrator? Corel Draw?

Funny enough I started there and have had no responses!

It's a slower forum than the RPF; many of the specialized ones are, I think. Give them some time. Tom Southwell himself is a member there, so when he does post, there's nothing better :)

-MJ

I might be able to help you with a high resolution/vector logo. I'm not by my personal computer right now, but if I dont have it. I can make it for you :)

You mean the triangles? What are you creating the card in? Photoshop? Illustrator? Corel Draw?

-MJ

I couldn't do this for a little while there, but back on it now. Yea, I was trying to use paint.net, but I don't know how to recreate in the first post the 'bar code' for want of a better term. I've had a good look around at bar codes and triangle patterns - but could not find this one or anything like.

Someone else tried this, which I think looks kinda ugly :

brcard.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions??

There are some friendly people here who can help with the signs:

http://www.chinese-forums.com

Personally I think QR codes would look weird :)

Thanks Buch. I was able to find from the Chinese forum that it says something like:

"You [polite you] have been authorised to use the following kind/sort/category
link six" - it looks like someone put English through the Google translator.

I was thinking the card should say something like "The carrier of this card is an authorised user of Voight-Kampff technologies and certified to Nexus Six". Any thoughts??

Last edited by a moderator:
Well "nexus" is Latin and means "connection" (also used as grammatical term)... So "link" is not a bad translation!

I couldn't do this for a little while there, but back on it now. Yea, I was trying to use paint.net, but I don't know how to recreate in the first post the 'bar code' for want of a better term. I've had a good look around at bar codes and triangle patterns - but could not find this one or anything like.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

The triangles used in Beastmaster's card come from some of the background set dressing labels made by Tom Southwell. They're probably just clip art of some kind. You may be able to create some similar alternating triangles patterns using one of the Wingdings fonts.

I would not recommend putting Nexus 6 on the cards, as Deckard / Holden / Bryant seem to regard them as very new and semi-secret "now," and I think it's unlikely that Deckard would have acquired certification for them before he retired. Additionally, Deckard seems surprised that it took so many questions to ID Rachel; if he was familiar with the Nexus Sixes, he should not have been so surprised.

Additionally, there is a free vector art program called Inkscape that some people use. You may want to give it a look.

-MJ

That's a very good point Mike. I don't know why that didn't occur to me before. I might amend this text to just say certfied to Nexus level. Might see if I can locate some the said dressing labels made by Tom Southwell. Had a crack at using Wingdings font for them, but didn't come out to well. Thanks for the help!

I hope that helps.

-MJ

Gotta agree, keep the tech to the era the film was made and it rings true. I have one of Beast's cards, and used it for the dimensions on my VK-MK II build. But no idea what the Chinese says, my guess would be the same as what the English text says. Makes the most sense

Additionally, there are standard sizes for plastic cards of this type:

The ID-1 format specifies a size of 85.60 × 53.98 mm (3.370 × 2.125 in) and rounded corners with a radius of 2.88–3.48 mm. It is commonly used for banking cards (ATM cards, credit cards, debit cards, etc.). Today it is also used for driving licences in many countries. This format is also used for personal identity cards in some countries, automated fare collection system cards for public transport, in retail loyalty cards...

Also, pretty sure this is supposed to be Japanese we're seeing everywhere. Geishas are Japanese. I wouldn't worry about the accuracy too much. Southwell did have some stuff translated by humans, but he also clipped a lot of text out of magazines and newspapers.

-MJ

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back