Blade Runner Off-World Blaster Real Parts Upgrade

BR12819

Sr Member
A little while ago I responded to a thread regarding modifying an Off-World blaster. That got me thinking. So after a a little browsing on a gun auction site I picked up a parts kit for a Charter Arms .38 Undercover (What they used for their model) It had everything but the frame. I wanted this to be a one day project and for the most part it was.

What I started with was my standard Off-World blaster that had the upgraded metal outer grip frame, trigger guard and butt plate

Then I began disassembly. Fairly straight forward just a flat screwdriver and a couple allen wrenches.

Here's a comparison between the Charter Arms inner grip and the Off-World.

And the Charter Arms cylinder mocked up before modification. I had to cut down the ejector rod.

This was not as complicated as I feared, the new Charter Arms trigger went in without much of a fight. Getting the Cylinder release fitted was also not much of a hassle though it did need a little adjustment to let the cylinder work freely.

I used the Off-World inner grip frame as a template for initial modification of the the Charter arms. After that a little time on the belt sander got it fitted to the outer grip frame. The Charter Arms inner grip needed a couple holes drilled in order to secure it to the outer.

Here all of the new parts fitted, the main hammer spring is the only step that gave me trouble. I wanted to use the charter arms spring guide but had to stay with the Off-World due to a slight difference in length.

Once all that was taken care of, it was a simple matter of putting it all back together.

And in case you were wondering here's a comparison between my newly modified Off-World, and an Original as far as weight: (I swear it's just flour!)

That is a beautiful build sir! I'm still working on my Off world, but I have a lot of the same .38 Undercover parts you do....for the parts I can't find...I'm make or having cast. I am currently having a family member do a new chassis , bolt lever, and end receiver in metal ( white bronze). Have a few family members that work in the jewelry industry....casting, plating...etc etc. So call in some favors...lol. I have made a steel barrel, and now have an outer metal grip, and metal inner grip handle, and currently making a side laser sight. Hoping to finish that up this weekend. Then on to the trigger guard, and a metal pin set. I hoping to put some extra weight on mine....Also...with all the extra parts...I might even start working on a stub nose blaster. One thing at a time I suppose. Once again...that is a beautiful Off world !

That is a beautiful build sir! I'm still working on my Off world, but I have a lot of the same .38 Undercover parts you do....for the parts I can't find...I'm make or having cast. I am currently having a family member do a new chassis , bolt lever, and end receiver in metal ( white bronze). Have a few family members that work in the jewelry industry....casting, plating...etc etc. So call in some favors...lol. I have made a steel barrel, and now have an outer metal grip, and metal inner grip handle, and currently making a side laser sight. Hoping to finish that up this weekend. Then on to the trigger guard, and a metal pin set. I hoping to put some extra weight on mine....Also...with all the extra parts...I might even start working on a stub nose blaster. One thing at a time I suppose. Once again...that is a beautiful Off world !
Thank you! I look forward to seeing your build as it progresses.

Did you have to do any modification to the cylinder from the CA .38 or did it fit with no problem? I'm getting some binding on the cylinder when I place it in my chassis. Any advice on how to make it fit?

No modification to the cylinder except for trimming down the ejector rod. You have to be pretty exact in how short you trim it so it seats properly. Is it binding somewhere else?

No modification to the cylinder except for trimming down the ejector rod. You have to be pretty exact in how short you trim it so it seats properly. Is it binding somewhere else?
Thanks for the heads up on the ejector rod...I have one of those also, and was thinking of using it. As for my issue, the cylinder itself is binding on the chassis. I'm planning on trimming back some of the inner metal so it will spin freely. Was just curious if there was something I was missing.

Thanks for the heads up on the ejector rod...I have one of those also, and was thinking of using it. As for my issue, the cylinder itself is binding on the chassis. I'm planning on trimming back some of the inner metal so it will spin freely. Was just curious if there was something I was missing.
Is it binding on the top/bottom or front/back? There's a little rounded nub in the center of the ejector it locks into the rear of the chassis and helps hold it in place. That has a bit more spring tension than the Off-World part that might be giving you some interference. Also, make sure your crane is screwed into the chassis when you try and close the cylinder. If it's not and can be a little out of alignment and possibly cause it to jam up.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back