Unlimited Run Blade Runner - Deckard's Blaster (Version 3)

3D Printed Blade Runner Gun Kit

Hey, I'm going to toss out a really random idea. I understand that some people really like LEDs, because they give an aspect of life to the prop as well as a degree of interactivity. But the complexity of installing LEDs and their associated wiring makes this difficult to achieve for regular collectors who don't make props.

So what if the pieces to which LEDs would have been attached were clear? In that way, you need only one bright LED, and that clear plastic would function as a kind of light pipe and would channel light to the would-be LEDs. The LEDs would basically be fake, tinted resin, satin in texture. Since we have to paint the non-LED parts anyway, the paint would act as a light resist.

I don't know if this would work, or if it would compromise the structure of what you're designing. Or if it can even be done.

Re: 3D Printed Blade Runner Gun Kit

I have seen some people stand on a ladder about 12 feet up and then zoom in with high definition cameras in order to get a proper undistorted view of their work. You may want to consider that close up photography will create perspective distortion and serve as an in accurate reference.

You can actually set up what's called a physical camera in 3DS Max and Maya that uses the same settings as your average digital camera. If you look at the image properties, you can usually find out what focal length of the camera. In this case, Seans camera uses a focal length 35mm. You can then apply those settings to the camera and match the distortion to keep accuracy.:)

Us computer guys have it easy compared to you traditional modelers. All the more respect for you guys.

I was only thinking having LEDs under the barrel as seen here. The box would hold the battery and wiring and LEDs
Bladerunner-blaster.gif Final Gun 1.jpg

I know nothing about printing. do you think the printer will have a problem with the diamond pattern on the grips?

I know nothing about printing. do you think the printer will have a problem with the diamond pattern on the grips?

It won't like doing it, but we'll force it. I've done a few like that, it depends on the height of the diamonds.

I'm aware that there's more pressure on this gun than probably any other. We'll know more as we start to print it. We'll do our best, but it is a plastic gun. There will probably be a few compromises, but it'll also be a lot more affordable than others...

And for our encore - Han Solo's Blaster - j/k ;)

The pictures look fantastic so far, very impressed

I'm not sure if anyone has done a full 3D printed blade runner blaster before, I've certainly not seen a run

Based on your Samaritan Im sure you're going to get this as close to accurate as 3D printing will allow & I will definitely be having one :)

one of the things I like about the Blade Runner blaster is all the variations of it that have been made over the years of which I'm sure this will be a worthy addition

A Han Solo blaster! Are you teasing me :lol

No kidding. I recently saw a Tomenosuke go for nearly $2000. For whatever reason a Coyle was selling for less, even though it's more accurate!

The expense of the Tomo Black hole gun is probably due to it being expensive in the first place...and then the price doubles with every middleman.
A real prop is intended to be handled and used, not sit on a shelf ...in reality, a prop isn't much use if it breaks the fisrt time an actor drops it.

Probably more desirable (this is a guess) because more durable to carry around? I dunno which is actually more accurate, all claims by makers aside.

A question for those in this thread:

If the cylinder doesn't open is that a deal breaker? We've looked at this six ways from Sunday and I don't see a good way to have the cylinder open. Making pivots and hinges work out of plastic is a tough go, and I think if we keep pushing for that it will either 1) work and we'll have to charge a bunch more, or 2) it won't work (well enough to make me happy) and we'll be back to a non-opening barrel.

Again, this is meant to be a realistic plastic version of the original. There are somethings that we just can't do out of plastic for $150.00. The triggers will still work, we're still planning on LEDs and batteries (maybe as an option) and it will still look very accurate...

Gimme some feedback please

A question for those in this thread:

If the cylinder doesn't open is that a deal breaker? We've looked at this six ways from Sunday and I don't see a good way to have the cylinder open. Making pivots and hinges work out of plastic is a tough go, and I think if we keep pushing for that it will either 1) work and we'll have to charge a bunch more, or 2) it won't work (well enough to make me happy) and we'll be back to a non-opening barrel.

Again, this is meant to be a realistic plastic version of the original. There are somethings that we just can't do out of plastic for $150.00. The triggers will still work, we're still planning on LEDs and batteries (maybe as an option) and it will still look very accurate...

Gimme some feedback please

For me, a non-opening cylinder is fine.

Really, if it isn't feasible, then it isn't feasible, doesn't matter what opinion anyone has.

That picture looks awesome :)

A static prop is absolutely fine by me, I realise that there are gonna be limitations to what can be done in 3D printed plastic & at the price range you're aiming for,

I've got a couple of Resin Blade Runner guns which don't open & it never bothered me as they just sit on a shelf & look pretty

Not a problem for me. you can only do so much with what your working with...

Doesn't matter to me either. Just the fact that you're working on this at the price point you're shooting for is enough for me.

Not a dealbreaker, but is the3-D printer you use only capable of doing plastic? I see lots of stainless steel 3-d printed stuff out there....

Still jonesing for that tough metal prop.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back