Black Series Helmets - whats next after Boba Fett

Aku

Making injection molds for mass production is expensive. But you cut costs if you are creative.

Assuming that Hasbro has this planned out correctly, have they constructed the Black Series helmets such that's it's possible to make a TIE fighter helmet from the Stromtrooper and X-Wing helmets parts. Can it be done, or wil lthat have to make a new base from scratch?,

They'll need to add greebles and make a new mowhalk, but the base shapes are there. In addition, if it does work, then AT-At pilot is just a paint job away.

Because of the way that the stormtrooper and X-wing pilot helmets are assembled I don't think that they would be able to just slap the two together to make a TIE pilot helmet, I think that Hasbro would have to design a completely new helmet. They might be able to use some parts from the two helmets but not a lot. Though I would like to see a TIE helmet, especially if it came with a chestbox.

I'd like to see a First Order stormtrooper helmet as well. Or Captain Phasma's helmet (and they could do a Pyre repaint). Or one of the various clone trooper helmets. Even an Endor Rebel trooper helmet would be neat, though I'm not sure what kind of play features they could add to it aside from sound effects.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some more helmet repaints. They could repaint the Luke X-wing helmet for Biggs, Wedge and other characters, and do the same with the Poe helmet. The stormtrooper helmet could be repainted into a magma trooper and a stormtrooper commander (and maybe they could re-release that darn shadow trooper helmet that I missed). A relatively easy addition to make a "new" helmet would be to add a forehead shield to the stormtrooper helmet and repaint it into a Mimban stormtrooper.

Last edited:
I think it's kinda crazy that the entire Sequel Trilogy has come and gone and they haven't done a First Order Stormtrooper helmet yet.
So I'd personally like to see that one next, since they should have done it a long time ago.

But, I agree that The Mandalorian helmet probably should be next, due to its popularity.

The Mandalorian helmet wouldn't be difficult to retask the current Boba Fett mold.

They've already done a limited release repaint of the StormTropper helmet with the Incinterator trooper helmet. I could see them bringing that back, because of his appearance in episode 8 of the Mandalorian.

OT helmets I'd like to see that aren't simple repaints: Scout Trooper, Snow Trooper and Royal Guard. Boushh, Lando's (see below)

PT helmets: generic Clones phase I and phase II, Commander Cody phase II.

ST Helmets: FOTK, Sith Trooper.

ASWS helmets: Shoretrooper, Enphys Nest, Lando's/ Beckett's guard helmet.

the big question for the new helmets for me is will it be the 'fairly' accurate Boba Fett and stormtrooper helmets, or the less accurate Vader one?

I'm wondering, since the paint apps were molded into the Fett helmet, wouldn't they need an entirely new mold to do a Mando?

I'd really like a Phase2 Rex helmet to commemorate the new season of TCW.

I can see the Mandalorian being next. The New York Toy Fair is just over a month away. Hasbro always reveals or shows something there. I would expect to see the Boba Fett helmet on display and hopefully a new Marvel Legends replica announcement.

I'm wondering, since the paint apps were molded into the Fett helmet, wouldn't they need an entirely new mold to do a Mando?

I'd really like a Phase2 Rex helmet to commemorate the new season of TCW.

I haven't seen the Boba Fett up close. I work in Injection Molding and know a bit about tooling. The tool would need to be reworked, but it probably wouldn't need to be very extensive. Far less expensive than a new mold.

I haven't seen the Boba Fett up close. I work in Injection Molding and know a bit about tooling. The tool would need to be reworked, but it probably wouldn't need to be very extensive. Far less expensive than a new mold.
Have you actually looked at a Fett helmet and a Mandalorian helmet and compared them? The Mandalorian helmet is *significantly* different from the Fett helmet.

I have my fingers crossed for a Scout Trooper Helmet. My money was on that coming out before a Fett helmet, so, what do I know?

Seems like Hasbro gets better and better with each release. Very much looking forward to what they have in store next. Mandalorian helmet would be an instant buy.

Have you actually looked at a Fett helmet and a Mandalorian helmet and compared them? The Mandalorian helmet is *significantly* different from the Fett helmet.

From a tooling standpoint, the modifications wouldn't be as significant as designing and manufacturing a new tool. Injection molds are designed to be modified easily using inserts. A few simple inserts into the mold, or assembly parts, is minimal in difference, and much more cost effective.

And it's a toy. Close enough will certainly work for a $100 price range.

From a tooling standpoint, the modifications wouldn't be as significant as designing and manufacturing a new tool. Injection molds are designed to be modified easily using inserts. A few simple inserts into the mold, or assembly parts, is minimal in difference, and much more cost effective.

And it's a toy. Close enough will certainly work for a $100 price range.
The size, shape, and overall features of the Mando helmet are completely different. There's no getting around the different curvatures of the helmet, even in a re tool it wouldn't even be close to resembling the real helmet. A new mold would be required. Plus for $100 helmets they've mostly been relatively accurate, most inaccuracies have come from the fact it needs to have playability functions and the limits created when mass producing an object.

Agreed on accuracy. The Luke helmet is pretty identical to the screen used aside from the mohawk being a fraction of an inch skinnier.

The Fett aside from the symmetrical rework is still pretty accurate....it for sure is better then "good enough".

Mando has a pinched visor on the bottom and differently shaped cheek indents with the many other differences. I see a new mold needed.

the big question for the new helmets for me is will it be the 'fairly' accurate Boba Fett and stormtrooper helmets, or the less accurate Vader one?
Seem to recall Hasbro saying that starting with the Red 5 bucket and going forward, all of their BS helmets would start as laser scanned from pieces in the archives. For certain they'll get a digital clean up, and some compromises for the size of the boxes they want to pack these things into (just thinking the assembly and how they're split into pieces), but laser-scanned as a starting point on a hundred dollar toy? Yes please. I think we don't end up with the weirdness of the Vader or TK sculpts again in this line.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back