Bigturc's Ironman Mark3 Build

Bigturc

Sr Member
Hey guys,
This is my build thread.

Suckface helmet, chest, back and shoulders CNC'ed from the cgi suit.
Zabana`s most excellent feet and hands
Dancing Fools for other parts

Last edited:
Re: Bigturc's IM Mark3 pep files

Here's a sneak peak at the new calf model I did with a friend. I'll let you judge of its accuracy! ;) It has the asymetry of the original .. just finished unfolding this, will build it and post pics soon!

Let me know what you think!

http://www.4shared.com/file/QYxQpyZT/Ironman_MKIII_Left_Calf_by_big.html

large.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Bigturc's Ironman Mark3 PEPAKURA files

Pretty close, not 100% but very close. BTW the round sections you have on the top "ears" are not supposed to be there. A hinge sits behind the shin and thigh and the bolt sits or floats on the hinge, if you want to make it accurate. :)

Thanks for the feedback Fin,
I'm pretty happy with the result!!

Yeah, I gotta admit I didn't know how to do the top joint .. care to share a pic of what it should look like? I didn't know if I needed to integrate the round part or not (that would end up behind the bolt when assembled).

I'm really open to suggestion ..

Oh and by the way, your calf made me hate mine and inspired me to model it accurately! ;)

Here it is, built and I'm completely thrilled with it!!!

Now now, it's not asymetrical, just like the original, so I'll have to invert pattern and rebuild it .. but hey, anyway, I can't cast s&^t! :)

Off to resin it now!

large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg

Well it's christmas in may in Montreal.
My package from the Suckface/Fettster run came in after a 15 months wait!

I had to take the day off to wait for it .. so might as well look at it, take pics and begin the trimming of the parts!

The parts are well done!

The neck trim is awesome although I need to figure out how I'll get that over my head..

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Shoulders are nice, and very well done, symetric and no warp at all. A few pin holes here and them, but nothing a little bondo can't fix!! I still need to figure out how these will attach together with the shoulder bolts.

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Back flaps have some serious issues in their trench. The surface is rough and bubbly and the details are completely lost. Not sure how that master was of this section, but mine is not really nice. The mechanical joint that joins the flaps are crisp but crooked, and it looks like half the mold came with them as there's rubber all over the parts! Hopefully, my parts were not the first to come out of the mold ..

medium.jpg

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Chest and back are joined together. It's really solid and I'll probably keep them as one solid piece, not sure yet. The casting is superb .. must be quite a pain to cast something that big. The trimming revealed air pockets in the edges so I`ll have to fill these up! And I gotta check as the bolt hole in the front of the piece is not round but more in an oval shape .. gotta confirm with Fettster if it's normal or not, in any case, not really a problem, maybe a little warp happened on the piece.

The inside is all smooth, gotta love that!!! And notice the big DO NOT RECAST note .. Who would try to recast such a monster anyway! :D

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

The resin bolts for the shoulders are nice and heavy, I'll probably end up emptying them to remove some weight.

The bolts from the chest and back .. well, they're kinda warped, so I need to figure out if they're supposed to be round! They're more in oval shape right now.

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Wow sorry to say but those do not look all that great IMO. The neck seal looks to be pretty nice though.
BTW the chest and back look they were cast in two pieces then stuck together, at least that is what the seamline with the heavy flashing would indicate to me.
A solid fiberglass chest looks like this with no seamline or flashing.
If you want me to take these down just LMK.

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

Fin, I thought you'd chime in! :)

I think with a minimum of work, I'll be able to bring these to the level I want .. so it's not that bad!

As for the chest and back, yes, I think they were cast as the front and the back, and the last layer was cast with the 2 parts joined together. Or that's what I'm making from what I see .. but then again, I don't know much about casting technique so I might be completely wrong here..

Fettster probably wanted to simplify its life by casting in 2 parts, but that flash line doesn't bother me so much. It's actually pretty cool as I have that same trench line as in all the ref pics and movie caps.

Ref
medium.jpg

Mine
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Last edited:

Shoulders trimmed. How am I gonna get these to fith together now ... :confused I might try to fix the bolt to the under part, and trim the tope piece circle out to have the bolt come through!

medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg
medium.jpg

Yes for a statue they had the bolt fallow right through both pieces as in a tube section that sits in a notch it the bicep. At least that is how the file I have seen works.

There's a couple cracks in the gelcoat on the lower edge of the chest/back piece. Reason is that the fiberglass has been laid while air got trapped in the edges, thus weakening the cast. I'll have to drill these out drill these out and fill them with resin to fix it!

large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg
large.jpg

You can also grind them out and fill them with evercoat fiberglass filler works perfect and will be as hard as your gelcoat. Just another option. And answered your shoulder question above. ;)

Hey Fin, are you ordering your Evercoat products online or you got them in some stores? I'm currently almost out of SmoothOn EpoxAmite and the shop where I bought my fiberglass cloth/matte had another kind of epoxy that I could also try. Again, I can't use polyester resin as I live in a condo and last time I tried to use it in my garage, the whole block stinked for a week! Oops!

But from your work, and considering I'm to the point where I also need to bondo my peps, I'm looking for alternatives. I remember reading some of your posts about Evercoat products : light weight and some other product, should I try it and any good place that you can recommend that ships to us (in Canada)?

Thanks for the shoulder answer, how did you setup yours?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back