Bigturc's Ironman Mark3 Build

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Bigturc, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Bigturc

Bigturc Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Hey guys,
    This is my build thread.

Suckface helmet, chest, back and shoulders CNC'ed from the cgi suit.
    Zabana`s most excellent feet and hands
    Dancing Fools for other parts

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. Bigturc

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  3. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Re: Bigturc's Ironman Mark3 PEPAKURA files

Pretty close, not 100% but very close. BTW the round sections you have on the top "ears" are not supposed to be there. A hinge sits behind the shin and thigh and the bolt sits or floats on the hinge, if you want to make it accurate. :)

4. Bigturc

Thanks for the feedback Fin,
    I'm pretty happy with the result!!

Yeah, I gotta admit I didn't know how to do the top joint .. care to share a pic of what it should look like? I didn't know if I needed to integrate the round part or not (that would end up behind the bolt when assembled).

I'm really open to suggestion ..

Oh and by the way, your calf made me hate mine and inspired me to model it accurately! ;)

5. Bigturc

Here it is, built and I'm completely thrilled with it!!!

Now now, it's not asymetrical, just like the original, so I'll have to invert pattern and rebuild it .. but hey, anyway, I can't cast s&^t! :)

Off to resin it now!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

That looks sweet man.

7. Bigturc

Well it's christmas in may in Montreal.
    My package from the Suckface/Fettster run came in after a 15 months wait!

I had to take the day off to wait for it .. so might as well look at it, take pics and begin the trimming of the parts!

The parts are well done!

The neck trim is awesome although I need to figure out how I'll get that over my head..

8. Bigturc

Shoulders are nice, and very well done, symetric and no warp at all. A few pin holes here and them, but nothing a little bondo can't fix!! I still need to figure out how these will attach together with the shoulder bolts.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Bigturc

Back flaps have some serious issues in their trench. The surface is rough and bubbly and the details are completely lost. Not sure how that master was of this section, but mine is not really nice. The mechanical joint that joins the flaps are crisp but crooked, and it looks like half the mold came with them as there's rubber all over the parts! Hopefully, my parts were not the first to come out of the mold ..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Bigturc

Chest and back are joined together. It's really solid and I'll probably keep them as one solid piece, not sure yet. The casting is superb .. must be quite a pain to cast something that big. The trimming revealed air pockets in the edges so I`ll have to fill these up! And I gotta check as the bolt hole in the front of the piece is not round but more in an oval shape .. gotta confirm with Fettster if it's normal or not, in any case, not really a problem, maybe a little warp happened on the piece.

The inside is all smooth, gotta love that!!! And notice the big DO NOT RECAST note .. Who would try to recast such a monster anyway! :D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Bigturc

The resin bolts for the shoulders are nice and heavy, I'll probably end up emptying them to remove some weight.

The bolts from the chest and back .. well, they're kinda warped, so I need to figure out if they're supposed to be round! They're more in oval shape right now.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Bigturc

Neck trimmed.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Wow sorry to say but those do not look all that great IMO. The neck seal looks to be pretty nice though.
    BTW the chest and back look they were cast in two pieces then stuck together, at least that is what the seamline with the heavy flashing would indicate to me.
    A solid fiberglass chest looks like this with no seamline or flashing.
    If you want me to take these down just LMK.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Bigturc

Fin, I thought you'd chime in! :)

I think with a minimum of work, I'll be able to bring these to the level I want .. so it's not that bad!

As for the chest and back, yes, I think they were cast as the front and the back, and the last layer was cast with the 2 parts joined together. Or that's what I'm making from what I see .. but then again, I don't know much about casting technique so I might be completely wrong here..

Fettster probably wanted to simplify its life by casting in 2 parts, but that flash line doesn't bother me so much. It's actually pretty cool as I have that same trench line as in all the ref pics and movie caps.

Ref
    [​IMG]

Mine
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  15. Bigturc

Progress on chest and back. This thing takes a lonnnnnng time

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Bigturc

Shoulders trimmed. How am I gonna get these to fith together now ... :confused I might try to fix the bolt to the under part, and trim the tope piece circle out to have the bolt come through!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Yes for a statue they had the bolt fallow right through both pieces as in a tube section that sits in a notch it the bicep. At least that is how the file I have seen works.

18. Bigturc

There's a couple cracks in the gelcoat on the lower edge of the chest/back piece. Reason is that the fiberglass has been laid while air got trapped in the edges, thus weakening the cast. I'll have to drill these out drill these out and fill them with resin to fix it!

19. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

You can also grind them out and fill them with evercoat fiberglass filler works perfect and will be as hard as your gelcoat. Just another option. And answered your shoulder question above. ;)

20. Bigturc

Hey Fin, are you ordering your Evercoat products online or you got them in some stores? I'm currently almost out of SmoothOn EpoxAmite and the shop where I bought my fiberglass cloth/matte had another kind of epoxy that I could also try. Again, I can't use polyester resin as I live in a condo and last time I tried to use it in my garage, the whole block stinked for a week! Oops!

But from your work, and considering I'm to the point where I also need to bondo my peps, I'm looking for alternatives. I remember reading some of your posts about Evercoat products : light weight and some other product, should I try it and any good place that you can recommend that ships to us (in Canada)?

Thanks for the shoulder answer, how did you setup yours?

21. Jordy

Jordy Member

Waitwaitwaitwait, the mark III calves aren't symmetrical? It's been a while since I've been here. :facepalm
    Could you please post a ref pic or 2 showing the asymmetry? It'd help me alot.
    I'll need to pep some calves soon and your files look really nice! I eagerly await their release. :)

22. Bigturc

No they're not at all! Most people make them symetrical as it's way less of a pain if you have only one master to pep and bondo, and one mold to do! Then you can cast it twice and you are done! I wish I hadn't seen that detail! Ha!

As for my file, I still haven't finished the thigh but once it's done, I'll release both with a perfect fit at the knee! :thumbsup I guess I could still get them out anyway!!

23. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Not just the shin/calf. The bicep, upper and lower gauntlet are not symetrical either but you wouldn't know it unless you saw the real suit up close. Also the chest and back are like nothing that have been peped with any file out, again not something you would see or know if you haven't seen the real suit up close or had a pep to compare them.

24. Bigturc

Totally agree with Fin!
    As much as one may want accuracy, if you haven't been up close and personal with the real thing, you might be only so accurate!

In the end, who will know anyway! I'm already too * for my own taste! ;)

25. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

I will. ;) Since I have, I know I want, I will. lol :lol

26. Bigturc

I hate you!

Lol

27. ROBOSTEVE 0671

ROBOSTEVE 0671 Sr Member

Nice work Bigturc and thanks for sharing the pics, I've also done a two part shoulder bell for my Mark III, half Pep of my own which is the under bell and the outer is the Surreal Studios Bell which I modified and showed Matt, I bolted the two right the the middle of the wheel / hub outter detail (on the inside) it works a treat. :thumbsup

Can email you pics if you need to see how it works.

28. Deathbird

Deathbird Member

I too admired the assymmetry of the Real Deal suit as I dry humped it... How could you not, really??
    and BT, you just said * and taste in the same sentence :p

29. Bigturc

ROBO .. thanks for that, I'd sure like to see it! You got a PM! :)

30. Bigturc

LOL .. yeah .. that's what you get when you spend an entire day breathing fiberglass fumes!!

31. MrTrouble

MrTrouble Member

Uff wow. Too much stuff for a one day. :D Great job!

32. Bigturc

True .. and I just took the rest of the week off to work on it! :D I plan on having everything on primer by friday!

33. Deathbird

Deathbird Member

OMG, you've got that right! :eek

34. Surreal Studios

Surreal Studios Well-Known Member

Congrats on the 3d print casts, that is a nice pick up there! I look forward to seeing your completed armor

35. Bigturc

Thanks Matt, although it's CNC'ed, not 3d printed iirc .. but it's getting more and more beautiful as I trim it!

More update later today as I took the rest of the week off! loll
    I plan on getting everything in primer by friday!

36. Bigturc

Update. Everything is trimmed - as much as I could without risking going too far for now.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

37. Bigturc

Little preview with the helmet on.

I'm doing the filling work tomorrow all day, then it's primer time!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

38. Bigturc

More update.

Began doing the bondo .. will see how it holds on the EpoxAmite. Hopefully, I won't have too much trouble with it. Thin layers people, thiiiin layers!

I thought I'd get **cough cough** Matt's video tutorial **cough** before beginning the putty work but oh well! :D

39. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

That is lacquerr based putty, single component as far as I can tell. It will shrink quit a bit and never really fully dry, just the nature of that kind of putty.

40. Bigturc

Anyone knows if I can fix the air pockets of my cast with EpoxAmite which is what I have in hands right now? Will it bond properly for the long term? I also have some epoxy paste?

41. Bigturc

Fin,
    Thanks for the input, are you saying I shouldn't patch the holes with this putty? Either use the 2 parts that you mix yourself or get the Evercoat stuff?

Talking Evercoat, I never heard back from you as to where you were buying yours?

42. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

Yes you can Epoxie will stick to pretty much anything you want it to, it'll be stronger than the fiberglass used.

43. Finhead

Finhead Sr Member

I would not use it at all. In about 2 weeks or less every place you have used this will have srunk down and you will see every repair. Unless you give it enough time to shrink before you finish it etc. Just not the best or even strong putty. I would use this, it's what I use all the time for finishing actually.
    USC Icing Polyester Finishing Putty [USC-26006] - $24.99 : KMS Tools & Equipment from Vancouver BC, Selling quality tools at affordable prices all over Canada. Largest powertool, handtool and woodworking machinery retailer in Canada.

I'm not sure where you can buy any of this where you are located. I'm in Edmonton and there are at least 10 or more places to buy this. Any autobody supply place will have everything you need. You'll have to search what's around you.

44. Bigturc

Thank Finhead, I'll try to find myself an autobody shop and see what they've got!

For the hands, I'm gonna have to put much more filler if I want a nice round shape. Anyway, won't do it as I'll wait and see if I can find Fin's stuff around here!

In the meantime, I wet sanded the putty from my shoulders to reveal all the pinholes that needed to be filled ... primer after dinner!

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  45. ROBOSTEVE 0671

ROBOSTEVE 0671 Sr Member

Fantastic! Chest and pieces are looking real good Al. You'll find once you've given it a good primer layer that this will be a good tell tale sign of any further imperfections or bumps and then you can give it another once over with a sanding block. Love the 3D Milled parts, they just scream accuracy.

46. Bigturc

Thanks Steve!!

Primer has been done on one shoulder! There's just sommany type of primer out there, sandable, filler primer, I never really know which one to use .. Will post pics tomorrow but it revealed more pinholes which I'll fill later again and the more primer and filler bla bla bla! :)

47. bamboodia

bamboodia Active Member

This is looking great. Can't wait to see it all primed up. Hurry along will you.. :)

48. Bigturc

Thanks Bamboodia,
    I know, I want to find the time to work on it .. but time seems to be always an issue isn't it?! :)

49. CapKaos

CapKaos Well-Known Member

This is looking great so far! Stoked to see it when it's all finished.=)

50. Bigturc

This is moving slowly but surely .. primer shot on both shoulders. I need to do some work on the parts and I'm looking for the best material to buy.

I'm following some tips from members and I started a thread about where to find products in Canada! We canucks are not as lucky as us guys finding everything everywhere. Even shipping from online store is killing me for now!

http://www.therpf.com/f11/where-find-products-montreal-canada-148822/