best way to glue styrene to wood?

Wes R

Legendary Member
I'm too cheap to buy a can of shellac for one project and polyurethane probably won't seal it enough for paint so i want to cover my mario box with sheet styrene but i wanted to see what everyone suggests i use for gluing it on.

I've used contact cement and that worked great. Also, some of the aggressive spray adhesives (3M 77 and 90) work well but not a good as the contact.

I'll have to see what we got. worse comes to worst i can tack it with brads and hide them with the moulding.

honestly, I just use super glue. but that is for small panels. I'd imagine a good slathering of gorilla glue would probably be best for larger parts.

I agree with the contact cement method. It's what is used for laminating countertops in the kitchen.

The best way to stick it, is to ensure you use a low grade sandpaper, around 300 or 400 to rough up the back surface of the styrene, and then use the same sandpaper to rough the surface of the wood, and use Araldite, or any 2 part epoxy glue.

Superglue becomes brittle and styrene cement only allows for the stryene to stick to other styrene effectively.

If it's a long lasting strong finish you are looking for I would use Araldite.

Good luck.

The best way to stick it, is to ensure you use a low grade sandpaper, around 300 or 400 to rough up the back surface of the styrene, and then use the same sandpaper to rough the surface of the wood, and use Araldite, or any 2 part epoxy glue.

Superglue becomes brittle and styrene cement only allows for the stryene to stick to other styrene effectively.

If it's a long lasting strong finish you are looking for I would use Araldite.

Good luck.
Yep, seconded.

Araldite will basically glue anything to anything and will last for ages. It's what is used to glue shafts into golf club heads, and they take some pounding

I'll go with that. My dad uses it to reinforce the handles of his knives and swords (works as good as fiberglass resin and is cheaper) and they take a beating and never had one come back for repair.

depending on the longevity near any good adhesive will work, even carpet tape. The issue you will run into with longevity is the wood is organic and the plastic man made. The wood will expand and contract more than the plastic due to changes in humidity. A solid bond may not be what your after pending the final product. If its for a backing, consider carpet tape. Super 77 will also retain some flexibility. Whatever you do, as mentioned make sure to scuff the connecting surfaces up and clean them so the adhesive has something to bite into.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back