Best Pulse Rifle

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by RickDTM, Jan 5, 2006.

1. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

Fellas,
    What kit or replica is the most accurate version of the M41 Pulse Rifle? Your thoughts?

2. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3. RickDTM

RickDTM Sr Member

Hi Chris - Yeah, I really like that one as well, but the problems most folks have ordering anything from them makes me VERY skittish.

4. alienscollection.com

alienscollection.com Master Member

5. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

If you're just after my opinion, it's the SD Studios pulse rifle. Hands down the best ever made.

Njc--------------------

6. Lanboy

Lanboy Well-Known Member

Definitely the SD Studios pulse rifle. It used all of the same components as the original props, so unless you have something screen used you can't get any more accurate.

I have the G&P airsoft conversion kit for the Tokyo Marui M1A1, and I love it. Not completely accurate, but nice.

7. Griefboy

Griefboy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Gratuitous SD showoff!!! Pow!!! :D

Next best thing might be the Monsters in Motion kit since its a partial recast of an SD.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  8. nickytea

nickytea Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think that the MIM kit is the best out there right now. I have a few of them available right now since I supplied them with the metal parts and took some kits in as partial payment. I will add an electronic "95" numerical display to the kits I sell for no extra charge, and no waiting :)
    The display doesn't count down, but looks cool. Just ask JHusel.

9. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

[​IMG]

I'm fond of the P&G kit. It's not absolutely accurate, but it's functional. Slap a magazine in the counter goes up to 95, each shot counts down until it hits 00 and if there are any more, starts back at 95 again. Stock slides out (don't put a lot of pressure on it when locked in a slid out position thouhg). The grenade grip slides free, and you can replace the fake shotgun shell with a turned aluminum grenade. :D

10. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

Nothing like scrounging up the parts, and doing it yourself.

[​IMG]

short that, there is a board member that has a good resin version. I'll let him chime in, as I'm not sure they are still available.

11. Jeeves

Jeeves Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Griefboy. Beautiful color and weathering on your PR. Best SD I've seen out there.

Gimme.

:)

Raj

12. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

SD STUDIOS.

If anyone says different...they havent seen one in person.

Problem with it, is its TOO accurate.
    Made from all the real parts...it weighs a TON.

But so did the firing originals Look at the SHOOTING scenes...they are obviosuly heavy.

Unlike where they run around (non firing) with the foam ones.

13. Riv

Riv Well-Known Member

I've wanted a PR since Icons made theirs, but I was never able to afford it.

Now that I can, it's hard to find anything to buy (I'm no kit builder, unfortunately, and that seems to be all that's out there).

Need someone to pick up that license again and start producing good replicas for schlubs like me with no assembly skills. :p

14. nivektunk

nivektunk Active Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The SD pulse rifle is the best hands down. But if you are on a budget or have customs issues with where you live, the MIM kit is a pretty good deal. I'm from Canada and just recieved my MIM kit and it does have some issues. You'll have lots of air holes to fill, flash to remove, warpage to fix, but that being said, it can be made up into a nice piece from what I've seen. There is nothing that you can't fix. The G&P kit + Marui Thompson are about 3 to 4 times the cost of the MIM kit for me here. And yes, there are the customer service issues with MIM. My kit came missing a bunch of parts(some pretty important ones). I emailed them within a day of recieving it(delivered Xmas eve, emailed Boxing Day[26th]). I have recieved and acknowledgement from MIM, but nothing since then. I'm still happy with my kit. It's a reasonable price, and you can do a lot with it. I plan to replace the parts I can with metal ones. Just my 2 cents.
    Cheers, Kevin

15. Griefboy

Griefboy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks Raj. Cant take credit for the paint job. It's real Bess Brown paint applied by non other then Dean Dymerski himself. All the nicks and scratches were matched to the film by doing a frame by frame analysis of the Aliens laserdisc. Not allot of DVD's around in 96' :)

16. zorg

pm sent :)

17. zorg

does mim have anything thats not been recasted?

18. tain669

tain669 Sr Member

Can anyone give more information on the SD pulse rifle.I'd like to know if they are still availble.Thanks :D

19. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

No, they aren't, and their usual price was around $3000 if I recall correctly.

20. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

:lol

everything? :unsure

21. Jedi Lawja

Jedi Lawja Well-Known Member

Now, this is not a top-end PR, but a board member sells both kits and build-ups. I believe the price is around $150 for a BU - but I'm going on a shakey memory. I just got one last week, and it's my first pulse rifle. The Thompson is resin, the spas cage is an injection molded piece, as is the shotgun pump grip. I'm not sure where these pieces are from. The shroud is a fairly thick vacuum form, 1/8" I think. The end result is a light-weight PR that will look nice on my wall, or to carry in costume. :)

Jay

22. Riv

Riv Well-Known Member

Ouch. Hehe

23. uscmCorps

uscmCorps New Member

I'm a big fan of MatsuCorp myself.

-Alex

24. Jedi Lawja

Here are a few pics I took. OLD dig-cam. 640x480 pixel, max.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the price I'm very happy with my new prop. :D The magazine base is solid resin and balances nicely when sitting on said base. The magazine well is empty so I plan on putting two 8-segment LED's wired to read '95' in the ammo remaining counter.

Does anyone have pics of a PR magazine?

Jay

25. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

Jedi, nice job on that kit.. It looks really nice. Please post some pictures of the mods you do on the ammo counter.

I have a "Wilco" kit I am currently building. It's a tricky * prop to assemble if you don't have building skills. The shrouds require a lot of cutting and if you cut them wrong, there is no re-do :) But I do like that Alex's shrouds have thier own look and they do not mimic Icons or SD shrouds.

The best thing about Alex's kit is that it has pretty much never ending modification potential. Second favorite thing is the price. ;)

I am putting a resing casting of a thompson mag on the mag base, and planing to attach it to the resin thompson chamber with some magnets. since theneeded grooves are not part of the casting, I will have to dremel away a certain portion of the resin magazine to make it fit.

I am also going to dremel out the needed vents in the spas cage so it is not so recognizable as a springer cage. Those missing vents bug the hell out of me.

I also got a flame thrower from Alex that I am going to mod out in big ways. The "chamber" of his flame thrower is like a blank canvas.
    Njc------------

26. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

For the money, you really can't beat the MiM kit. Their customer service may suck (don't personally know, never dealt with them), but the pulse rifle kit turns out pretty awsome.

I got mine through a board member here a while back and added a metal stock and vent from another RPF run later on.

Here's how the kit turned out (built and painted by yours truly):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not bad for my first major kit way back when.

Thanks to WC for hosting.

-Fred

27. zorg

what is the correct colour for a pulse rifle?

green or brown?

z

28. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Its a HUMBROLL BASS BROWN
    I forget the number....11? or 17? something like that.
    Then take flat black and MIST it from a distance.

HERE is my WHOLE technique.
    Oh, I also PAINT my GUNS SLIVER, or ALUMINIM first. I think "dap" liquid latex over them on the edges, and palce that would naturally weather.

Let it all dry.
    Spray the gun primer flat black, let it dry.....then the Humbrol....let it dry....then list it.

Once dry rub the latex off and you a realistic look to the gun.

Sure you could dry brush it with SILVER to try and get same effect, and its CLOSE...but this way looks better.

Here is a resin Gun I made with working lights and sound.

[​IMG]

29. Jedi Lawja

Noeland-

Mine is a Wilco. Build-Up. I have a kit also, and I can figure out what goes where with the built PR next to it, but without reference, it would be quite a challenge.

Jay

30. zorg

whats the process you used on the black parts?

z

31. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

Here's how I weathered mine (parts painted before final assembly):

1) Spray parts with grey/black automotive primer, allow to dry for 24 hrs.

2) spray all parts with either Krylon aluminium or steel (whichever you prefer or have access to), allow to dry 48 hrs (longer if you have the time)

3) spray the parts their respective colors (I used Krylon flat black and surplus military OD (from cheaperthandirt.com)), allow to dry for 12 hrs.

4) Assmble the kit

5) use a piece of masking tape and press it down on a section you want to weather. Pull up really fast. It should take pieces of the top coat off and leave the metal undercoat exposed.

6) after you're satisfied with the paint removal, go over the whole thing with a medium scotch-brite pad (like plastic steel wool)

7) mist the entire thing with flat black from a distance of 2' - 3'

And that's it. A lot of work, but well worth it. I like tape method over the latex method because the tape will give very random weathering, sometimes sharp angles, sometimes round pieces. I find it wery hard to get sharp edges with the latex method.

-Fred

32. eltee

eltee Sr Member

I'm partial to my SD version (shown here) but for a very nice resin (w/opt. metal parts) I'd choose the Matsucorp version (Matsuo made the caseless ammo for my pulse rifle). My SD weighs a ton whereas having a high end lighter pulse rifle would be a nice alternative. Matt does great work, check out the ammo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like racking dummy grenades or dummy 12 guage rounds through the M41 to show how well made it is

[​IMG]