Best modeling dremel

I heard that the battery powered ones do not run for a very long time and the charging time is quite long. I have a Craftsman knock off that has been serving me well for about 8 years. I use it for cutting metal and for some sanding and engraving. The model I have is not available and the only one I can find on their site is a single speed model. I recommend a model that has a variable speed control.

The top of the line Dremel model (4200) has a quick change collet. The 4000 is almost identical but uses the older style collet. The 3000 has a motor that is slightly less powerful that the 4000 (1.2A in the 3000 vs. 1.6A in the 4000 and the 4200).

I think that the best deal would be the 4000 model with a full accessory kit (Dremel 4000-6/50 120-Volt Variable-Speed Rotary Kit - Amazon.com)

My $0.02

You would also benefit from getting the extension cable for the bits. Helps a lot because you are holding onto a smaller piece verses holding onto the entire dremel. The product name slips my mind at the moment, but a quick google search should turn it up for you.

What is the best dremel for using with models or are they all pretty much the same. Thanks for the help
For Dremel, get a Battery operated model. The speed is just right for the plastic, also more quieter when working at night. And the charge can last me more then a month.
But if you really getting a Dremel, get the workstation also, its like a third hand. Mine is always on it 100% all the time.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ITCONXvE2OY/TKgFB9_LqwI/AAAAAAAAAE4/LvYiXkP2kBA/s1600/IMG_9607.jpg

This one is already 3 years old.

But if you do precision drilling, nothing beats proxxon.

I've gone through plenty of rotary tools over the years. Black and Decker and Craftsman cordless models gave me the most trouble, overall, with everything from crap batteries to varying speeds on "single-speed" models. I've had several models of Dremel, and never really had any drama with any of them. I've got the 4000 now. With the drill press "workstation" and the "flex shaft" add-ons mentioned above, I can get a lot of different things done with one tool.

Be sure to shop around before laying your money down. Dremel stuff can be crazy over-priced with some retailers. The brand is available at so many retailers (online and brick-n-mortar) that you can often take advantage of sales and coupons to get the most gear for your money.

For Dremel, get a Battery operated model. The speed is just right for the plastic, also more quieter when working at night. And the charge can last me more then a month.
But if you really getting a Dremel, get the workstation also, its like a third hand. Mine is always on it 100% all the time.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ITCONXvE2OY/TKgFB9_LqwI/AAAAAAAAAE4/LvYiXkP2kBA/s1600/IMG_9607.jpg

This one is already 3 years old.

But if you do precision drilling, nothing beats proxxon.

crap, thats a lot of paint

Get a model #2 like this one:
Vtg Dremel Moto Tool Model 2 Bakelite Grind Drill Carve Routing Engraving | eBay

In the 90's I went through way too many of their current models. The connecting sleeve between the motor and the chuck gets dried out and breaks. I had a model #2 which my dad bought me back in the 60's and it still works even though it was dropped and the case is broken. I bought an almost new one about two years ago and I love it. The motor shaft is connected to the chuck directly, no plastic sleeve to break. Old is good! Just like me : )

I bought the stylus Dremel and its pretty good. The charge time hasn't been an issue yet. The only drawback is sometimes the shape of the stylus can work against you, I also use it to drill tiny holes in fiberglass for circuit boards...some of the tiniest bits have a little bit of wobble, like the chuck isn't quite centered, causing the tiny holes to wallow out a little.

The rechargeable dremel has a brushless motor - so it can reliably run at the lowest speed setting which is perfect for drilling plastic. But if you want to gouge out huge areas with a sanding drum you'll need a mains powered one.

well, I bought a dremel 400 with a assessories box. heres another n00b question. I cant get the dremel collet nut to open from the collet. none of the attachments fit in it. am I doing something wrong or just misunderstanding the instructions.
6ive.jpg

You might have to completely remove that piece and bend it apart enough to let the bits fit in. I had to do that with one of mine years ago. The piece wasn't made right and it wouldn't split apart like it was supposed to.

Sorry I misunderstood. I've never seen a collet that wouldn't open, but it's possible. Also you may need a larger collet for that bit.

You might have to completely remove that piece and bend it apart enough to let the bits fit in. I had to do that with one of mine years ago. The piece wasn't made right and it wouldn't split apart like it was supposed to.

dammit, im stupid, I didn't remove the collet in order for it to open to the proper size to allow the collet nut to tighten.
<-----------------im with stupid

I have these items as well as a Dremel with a cord. If your worried about the battery eventually packing it in at a later date. You can replace the internal battery. I've been doing this with a few of my cordless tools. Usually, I'll upgrade the battery that has a longer life and holds more power.

I've got the 4000 now. With the drill press "workstation" and the "flex shaft" add-ons mentioned above, I can get a lot of different things done with one tool.

I have the same setup, Dremmel 4000, the WorkStation, and the flex shaft.

I usually use it at a lower speed, which is even better for plastic. DEFENITLY get yourself the flex shaft, that thing is worth its weight in gold, only downside to it is that you cannot have it attached while the dremmel is in the workstation. I generally have my dremmel hanging from a hook in the beam above my work desk and the end of the flex shaft hanging down at my level.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back