Best color for ANH Tie Fighter

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by wakeboardjedi, Jan 14, 2002.

1. wakeboardjedi

wakeboardjedi Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Does anyone know the original colors on the ANH tie?

2. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

hope you get a better response than I did - posted something very similar in my thread about paint colors, and you can hear the crickets chirping over there.

[​IMG]

So anyone have comments on this color? Too light? Too dark? Not bluish enough?

That Interceptor is painted with a mix of Testors Model Master 'Dark Ghost Gray' (which isn't that dark) and 'Euro Gray' (which by any other name is 'battleship gray', to me). Cannot find my notes on what the mix ratio was.

I've got 5 styrene TIE kits on my bench right now, (2) TIE for Robstyle, (2) Interceptors, and a TIE Defender I'm scratchbuilding.
    Thinking of using the same colors for these, but adding a touch of 'US Navy Blue Gray' to give them a bluish tinge.

I'll post some scans from Chronicles in the next couple of days, I'm sure there a ton of variation due to lighting / photography - unless someone can quote a LFL source for a paint code, I'll be making a best-guess.

Would love to hear from Echoleader - or anyone else for that matter - about his color choices on his TIE Bomber.

3. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Do either of you have the Chronicals book,or any of the Art of Star Wars books?You can match colors pretty close with pictures.Its tough to do though,cause these were working,filming minatures and lighting can change tones,shades&colors.From Empire to Jedi....the Tie fighters took on a more blueish color,where as in Star Wars....more of a med-light Gull grey.....perharps an even lighter grey than that?I dont have a Testors color chart in front of me.....I'd flip through reference pictures and compoare the studio photographs with a color chart..be it Testors,Tamiya,Humbrol ect,ect.For the Tie Interceptor....it had a more blue/grey color scheme.....the color was toned down cause it was too blue and it was interferring with blue screen work durring the filming...but it does have a more blue paint scheme.Anyways......guess thats it...hope this helps-John

4. EchoLeader

EchoLeader Well-Known Member

Sorry I didn't chime in earlier on the subject of paint. Honestly though, I'm the wrong guy to ask for paint colors as I use commercially sold model paints on a rare occasion, mostly for the smaller details.

I mix my own paints mostly from scratch.

One thing you have to remember though is to keep scale in mind. Most of the studio models were large compared to their small commercially packaged counterparts. This makes a big difference as to how one paints the smaller versions.

Believe it or not, there is also scale to paint! I've learned that if you try to use the same paint combo that was used on the larger studio models on smaller ones, they tend to look darker, so in essence you would have to lighten the shade to make it look closer to scale. Basically what you're doing with paint is what nature does with light.

I use Liquetex Acrylic artist paints in tubes thinned with a mixture of water and rubbing alcohol. I look over the subject I'm trying to replicate and just mix colors till it matches what I see, there's no real science or ratio to it, at least for me. What I'm doing is the same thing some company is doing only they bottle it, slap a label on it and call it hobby paint.

On the TIE Bomber, all I did was mix some light blue with grey until I had a color that matched my reference.

I say use whatever you feel comfortable with and it matches what you're trying to copy. Don't be afraid to experiment with paint, forget what they taught you in school..... go ahead and color (or paint in this case) outside the lines!

I don't know if this helps any, but this is how I've painted my models for years yielding excellent results.

Rolando

5. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

Get your hard drives ready everyone, Chronicles scans coming up shortly.

6. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Rolando brings up a good point about painting that I skipped.....painting in scale.The studio models are far larger(usually)than commercially available kits...so the paint skeme is different,this is particulary important when you have a complicated color skeme that invloves glossy finishes,....say....a Star Trek ship like the Motin Picture Enterprise.You could'nt paint an old AMT kit of the enterprise with the same gloss/pearlesent finish as the 7ft film minature...it would'nt look right,you'd have to tone the gloss down, play around with the pearl finishes to make it look right.Yur pretty safe when it comes to a flat finish....not much tinkering is needed no matter what the scale.As far as a paint skeme goes,check yur references,and for sure what you come up with you will be happy.You will get pretty close,and who says you have to stick with what the pro's did?Yur model wont be baked under hot lights&filmed for hours&hours.You can try & match to a comercially available paint,or mix yur own,there are no rules when it comes to finishing ur model off.Just a little food for thought-John

7. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

8. EchoLeader

EchoLeader Well-Known Member

As is evident in the above post by Rich, it's hard to determine what color is correct due to lighting, printing and such.

About the only way to actually get an exact match or close to it would be to see the physical model under normal lighting and doing a color match then.

I feel that as long as you come close (like no Zebra stripes)and you're happy with the end results, then everything else is just a bunch of Bantha Poo Doo.

Rolando

9. wakeboardjedi

Thanks for all the feedback. The tie kit I'm doing is from Steve Niesen. It is quite large. The solar panels on this thing are like 18". Once completed it might take over my wife's position as love of my life.

Once I am done I will post pictures. it will be a while though, I'm taking my time with this one.

10. -... . .- --..

-... . .- --.. Sr Member

IMO, what color you use depends on what you're modeling.

If you're re-creating a true studio-scale miniature, then obviously your goal should be to find the right color to match the original models. In this case, you must have decent pics of the models themselves, shot with as little extra light as is necessary to take the picture.

If you're building a smaller scale kit, one which recreates the vehicles as seen in the film, then your goal should be to match the way those models look on screen. In this case, you must consider both scale-effect, and "film-effect," by which I mean the amount of light used to film the miniature using motion control cameras (a whole lot!) and the contrast wash-out effect of film compositing.

There are various shades of "TIE-Fighter Blue" used in the three Star Wars films. The models in ANH appear almost pure white-gray on screen, even though they are much more of an intermediate blue-gray uder normal lighting conditions.

Check out Phillipe's closeups of Vaders TIE for a good look at the blue-gray used for ANH.

Later models built for ESB and ROTJ were much bluer. Here are Phillipe's pics of what I believe is a later TIE, probably from ESB.

As for what color to use, that's always a subjective thing and I'm not aware of any color wheel "canon" for Star Wars models, like you often find for Star Trek models and props.

I just mix my own colors because I've never found a good out-of-the-bottle hobby paint match for the colors the ILM guys used. I usually start with the closest match I can find, and then I lighten whith light gray or pure white, darken with dark gray or pure black, and add little bits of red, yellow, and/or blue as necessary. To see how the paint will look when dry, I'll brush about a one-inch square on a sheet of styrene for each test color mix. Under each square I write the formula used to mix that sample ("1 part gray, 2 parts white, etc."). Finally, I pick the color I like best after each test mix has dried.

Somewhere, I've got a styrene card with a perfect ANH blue-gray match in Poly-Scale paints, but we moved this year and it's still packed away in a box in the attic.

This method of color-matching is time consuming, but it's worth the effort, IMO.

11. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

Well..there are a few pages in the Chronicals book that shows some tie fighters in the process of inbetween paint jobs....not studio photographs.I think the best example is in the "Empire" section.....they painted them really blue,where as in Star Wars they tend to be a paler/med grey with a touch of blue in them.I never got an opportunity to go to any of the Archive shows with the ILM minatures..I'm regretting that I did'nt.Beaz has a spectacular way of matching paint.I'm not sure whether or not ILM painted strait from the bottle or custom mixed paints(excluding weathering on the ships of course).They used those Flowquil railroad enamels,but they probably ordered gallons of other paint....only way to really find out is to ask someone who worked there years ago in the shop,and my ILM contacts are few&far between.All ya can do is the best ya can....and find the best resources available and go off that if yur really into die hard accuracy."Thats about all I have to say about that"cheers-John

12. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It seems that the ESBs had a very blue basecoat that was tempered with a light grey overcoat. Perhaps such a two-layer approach is the secret.

13. wakeboardjedi

14. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

Here's a tidbit from the TIE superdetailing pages on Starshipmodeler.com, http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/tie_int2.htm
    :
    </SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>While the the fighter appears to be silver or gray on the screen, the studio models were actually painted Pactra Stormy Sea Blue. This color, which is more grey than blue, has not been made in fifteen years or so. The models looked grey because the tremendous amount of light used in filming them brightened the apparent color considerably. After priming the model with a base coat of Testor's Flat Light Aircraft Grey, I chose to make the overall outside color a mix of Testor's Flat Aircraft Grey (FS 16473) and just a couple drops of Inetrmediate Blue (FS 35164). This I let dry for several days, before masking around the solar panels and painting them gloss black. Finally, I glued the solar panels to the command pod.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Interesting on the Pactra paint color, have to go ask him for info source...

15. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

Well, here's a stab at the color -

[​IMG]

compared to:

[​IMG]

More in a couple days, once I get the wings masked / painted.

16. wakeboardjedi

Where did you get the top picture at? It's not in the Chronicles.

17. rayra

rayra Well-Known Member

you asking about this one??:

[​IMG]

......my front yard [​IMG].
    Those are the MPC kits I'm building for Robstyle and myself.
    See the 'rayra van shipyards' thread in the OT forum.

(you were pulling my leg, weren't you?)

18. wakeboardjedi

I didn't see that thread. I have most of the books so I was wondering what new book I was going to have to buy.

19. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think alot of the BLUE comes out in the film.
    IS that due to the BLUE screen??
    Not sure.

I know FLOQUIL was used alot as mentioned above...in fact...
    CONCRETE with white and BLACK mixed in was used to get the Falcon grey colors.

Anyone have a KIT list for the tie?
    thats here some place isnt it?
    I have a casting of the TIE..that is ALLEGEDLY out of same mold as the what ICONS STARTED with. It even has teh LEDS cast in the guns...you can see them. Yes,...they were LEDS.
    I have always wanted to clean it up.
    Anyhow....Steve N promised me Wing parts...what was it now Steve...3 years ago?
    I have the actual screen for the wings... (sigh) someday Ill get to use it.

Didnt mean to DIGRESS.

20. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To revive an old issue... the color of the TIE has been debated well, but has anyone made note of the various markings on them? A few photos show stripes on the cockpit section, as well as miscellaneous markings for hatches and such. Unfortunately (isn't it always the F#*! case) the photos are at terrible angles... so only small sections can be seen.
    Any ideas?

21. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've never noticed markings on the TIEs... can you reference particular pix?

- Karl

22. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I can send a couple of images... would have to hunt for the rest. JPGs? TIFs? Preference?
    Actually... check the Episode IV database at SW.com... they may be there also.

23. Winona Ryder's Bra

Winona Ryder's Bra New Member

Guys-
    Check out the brand new Fine Molds TIE Fighter at this site:

http://www.hlj.com

A nice gray with a dark wash to really bring out the details!
    The kit looks GREAT...and a heck of a base for a styrene
    kit, eh? The next kit announced is the Jedi Fighter.

Wini

24. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a correct color that will satisfy anyone.
    I sort of prefer the cold bluish tint to the TIE hulls rather than plain old light gray.

[​IMG]
    I did these TIES a few years ago. It's a mix of Tamiya Medium Blue, Testors Light gray and Tamiya white. I wish I could remember in what proportions I mixed the paint.

25. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Nice work Tony. Wish you would post around here more often -- your work is inspiring.

26. imaginager

imaginager Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

27. belleauwood

belleauwood Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(imaginager @ Sep 30 2006, 10:38 PM) [snapback]1329544[/snapback]</div>

Try Slate Blue by Rustoleum, I can't remember the exact "house brand" but it does say "blah blah . . . By Rustoleum" it only comes in satin so buy some clear flat next time you're at the hobby shop. Check the Home De Pot, thats where I snagged it last.

If its not 100% to the "correct" TIE Blue, then its 99.98%, IMNSHO.

Its what I'm doing my bomber and my soon to FINALLY have Interceptor in as well. Looks good on certain X-wing cockpits too . . .

Though, I do have to say, for me a standard TIE REALLY should be in the grey, ESB and ROTJ not withstanding.

Its a handy color to have a few extra cans laying about of . . . and we all know how they LOVE to discontinue the colors we actually like and use, so stock up while ya can.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

28. imaginager

Thanks Ryan. I'll be going to Home Depot in the morning. I was actually looking at their paint last night, and wondered.... Now, I know. :D

The ESB TIEs fly straighter. I'm sure it's because of the color... ;)

29. jvasilatos

jvasilatos Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

<div class='quotetop'>(Tony @ Sep 30 2006, 11:07 PM) [snapback]1329551[/snapback]</div>
    My favorite Agustin display.

Welcome Tony.

Jerry

30. jvasilatos

P.S. for my ANH TIE, I used:

Rustoleum Grey Primer # 7582

It is a light grey with a very slight cool temperature to it that really nails the look of the ANH TIEs to me...

[​IMG]

JV

31. Rogue Studios

Rogue Studios Well-Known Member

The ESB ties were painted with pactra paint and try as I might none of this stuff exists anymore. Lorne Peterson told me the color but it's useless since you can't get the paint anymore.

32. bobbyfett

bobbyfett Active Member

My local hobby shop has a clearance bin with a bunch of old Pactra paints. What's the color, I can check and see if they have it. :)

33. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was told KRYLON SLATE GREY for ANH.

34. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I might be able to help. During my recent move, I discovered my old Star Wars card collection. They're all in a binder in special mylar album pockets.

The card number is 311 from the orange series ( fourth series ). It shows several X wings, a couple of Y wings and one slate blue TIE on the bench with Gawley, Peterson and some of the other 'old heads' from the Van Nuys warehouse. I'll scan that puppy tomorrow and post it.

35. imaginager

Much appreciated.

36. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(imaginager @ Oct 11 2006, 08:52 PM) [snapback]1336529[/snapback]</div>

I didn't want to wait.

[​IMG]

37. jvasilatos

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Oct 12 2006, 04:12 AM) [snapback]1336535[/snapback]</div>

I didn't want to wait.

[​IMG]
    [/b][/quote]

I remember that picture.

But you have to consider, the blue tone is apparent in the whole picture, it has a cold look to it, if you adjusted that picture in photoshop to reflect the real lighting in there with more accurate skin tones on the modelmakers, you'd probably see that ANH TIE is less blue than it seems in this picture. I tried doing it using the guy with the beard in front as my target, otherwise look, everyone's skin has a sick yellow tone. For example:

[​IMG]

Now the TIE is looking much more grey...

Just something to consider. I'm sure the TIEs were blue in ESB and ROTJ from the magic of myth exhibit, but seeing the color of Vader's TIE from that exhibit, you would imagine the standard TIEs would match the grey color of his TIE.

The thing about the color I like that I found for my TIE is that it is a cool grey and has a blue tone to it in the right lighting conditions. Going with another off the shelf grey, which I tested, looked completely wrong. I was trying to reflect the look of the ANH TIE as seen on screen under studio lights in my picture a few posts up.

JV

38. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

Oh well.

The debate rages on. :D ( shrug )

39. jvasilatos

Just tryin' ta help get to the truth lol.

JV

40. swpropmaker

swpropmaker Sr Member

OK guys... the VAders TIE was painted the same color as the TE Fighters in a New Hope. The base color is grey. The trim is dark grey. Krylon stopped making the equiment grey primer that was the base color but walmart sales a colorplace brand Grey Primer that is perfect for the standard ANH TIE Fighter. The trim pieces are Krylon Grey primer (Dark Grey)

Ive got some really good shots of vaders TIE and its grey there is not even a hint of blue to be found and on screen the TIE's all look the same color.

There is no doubt in my 8 years of research that the ANH TIE's were painted Krylon Equipment grey primer (discontinued in 1979) The above Walmart brand is the clostest i could find using chip samples from Vaders TIE.

The ESB TIE is also an out of production (Mid 80's) Krylon Slate Blue color. Ryan has found a color that matches but only comes in satin so it has to be dulled down with dull coat. The trim pieces match the Krylon grey primer color.

ROTJ Interceptors were painted with the Krylon slate blue OOP and the details were painted with Krylon grey primer. The only change was the canopy it was painted flat black.

Thats my two cents on painting TIE fighters.. it may be right... then again it may be wrong but its the closest I could come up with. In the end find what you like and recreate it the best way you can. Do tests and see what works and what doesnt. A TIE your happy with is all that really matters.

Steve

41. JP05

JP05 Well-Known Member

When Lee and I spoke with Lorne Peterson....the question about the color of the TIE came up...he said they were all painted the same color. Empire, SW, Jedi. All the same. I have the color written down in my notes. Will try and dig it up. For what its worth.

42. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(JP05 @ Oct 12 2006, 01:14 PM) [snapback]1336960[/snapback]</div>
    Wow... and kewl.

Can't wait to hear what that was. Funny how they looked different on screen. The card Bob showed was definitely taken for ANH. I find it funny that the TIE on the table looks bluish and not the grey I thought it would be.

I will indeed be looking forward to your posting the color that Lorne stated they all were painted. :thumbsup :p :thumbsup

43. Hand Solo

Hand Solo Sr Member

I offer this scan I made from page 29, From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives, A New Hope section...

[​IMG]

Note that even the TIE proto is painted a blue-grey.

44. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I might experiment with the colors Steve reccommended and Rustoleum Slate Blue, which I happen to have on hand from painting my X-Wing chest box (pretty good match for that). Maybe I'll do a wash with it, or a very light airbrush misting of it, or something.

45. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

Very interesting indeed. This color thing for the ANH Ties is really messing with my thought patterns. LOL. My mind keeps thinking GREY,..but I am obviously in error. Can't wait to see Steve R.'s (JP05) post to confirm the color.

Good pic Bob... I had forgottem about that book.

Question... what film effect or lighting would cause the TIE to look grey instead of the blue shown?

46. jvasilatos

<div class='quotetop'>(swpropmaker @ Oct 12 2006, 07:27 PM) [snapback]1336937[/snapback]</div>
    Steve-

I got the ColorPlace Equipment Gray (20010) as you suggested when I got my kit, and did some tests, but it did come across to me as having too much "warmth" to it. I got another primer, Rustoleum Gray Primer 7582 which is what I ended up using that had the cooler look to it, and reflects light nicely with the subtlest touch of "blue" because the primer has a cool tone to it, instead of a warm one.

I would invite people to try testing both to see which the prefer in how the colors reflect light. In the end they are only $2.50 a can and you can see how natural light reflects against both.

And the Krylon Equipment Gray Primer (1318) you guided me to is the best match for the highlights. I had to special order it online though because it's hard to find in hardware stores.

I don't like the slate blue color of the ESB or ROTJ fighters but that's apersonal preference.

JV

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Oct 12 2006, 09:10 PM) [snapback]1337000[/snapback]</div>
    Although that photo is in the ANH section of the book you found it in, check the outer frame edges of the wings... they have a double layer, which is indicative it was an ESB produced model. The pics of the ANH fighter I have found do not have that double edge on the outer frames. I found these quickly in a Google search but have seen larger copies of these pictures, when I get to my office later I will post the hi-res ones I have on my computer there. But these pictures are of the ANH TIE. It's not blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you can find higher res versions of these pictures before I can post mine to see the difference between the outer edges of the wing frame on an ANH TIE and an ESB one you will see what I mean.

Steve's point about the Vader TIE being the same color as the other ANH fighters is dead on. Why would they paint Vader's gray and the others blue and then they all look the same color onscreen in ANH? The standard TIE on display in the MOM exhibits is an ESB model which is what is causing the confusion.

And Kurt, as for why they may look slightly blue in ANH is influenced by studio lighting, blue screen reflection, and the film stock.

JV

47. stonky

stonky Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm sure that I read somewhere (I think in an interview with Lorne Peterson - I can't quite remember) that the ANH ties were originally painted blue and then changed to grey after many unsuccessful attempts to pull a clean bluescreen key. That being said, I don't know whey they went back to blue for TESB and ROTJ - maybe they deveveloped a better process for those films.

That might explain why the TIE in the orange ANH trading card is blue, color corrected or not.

48. Rogue Studios

Rogue Studios Well-Known Member

Well here's the bad news you can't find this paint anywhere and it to my demise it was not a floquil color. :(. It was a blue I remember Lorne stating that for a fact. You are better off just mixing it close because I ahve searched and searched and the mfgr of the paint stop producing over 20 years ago.

49. bobbyfett

bobbyfett Active Member

Was it a Pactra color? If you check a few posts up, I posted that a local hobby shop near me has a bunch of old Pactra paints in a clearance bin. I can see if he has the color.

50. imaginager

I concur with JV on the pic Hand posted. It's an ESB TIE due to the U-channel around the perimeter of the wings. Plus, the wingstar struts don't extend all the way to the edge of the wings, like they do on ANH TIEs.

I'm happy enough with Ryan's/Steve's ESB color suggestion, but need to get a dull coat for it. Or, possibly rub it with fine steel wool....

Cool pics everyone.