Best color for ANH Tie Fighter

I can send a couple of images... would have to hunt for the rest. JPGs? TIFs? Preference?
Actually... check the Episode IV database at SW.com... they may be there also.

I don't think there is a correct color that will satisfy anyone.
I sort of prefer the cold bluish tint to the TIE hulls rather than plain old light gray.

ta_trio_07688.jpg

I did these TIES a few years ago. It's a mix of Tamiya Medium Blue, Testors Light gray and Tamiya white. I wish I could remember in what proportions I mixed the paint.

<div class='quotetop'>(imaginager @ Sep 30 2006, 10:38 PM) [snapback]1329544[/snapback]</div>
Yes. BUMP..

Anyone have the correct ESB TIE color?

Thanks.
[/b]

Try Slate Blue by Rustoleum, I can't remember the exact "house brand" but it does say "blah blah . . . By Rustoleum" it only comes in satin so buy some clear flat next time you're at the hobby shop. Check the Home De Pot, thats where I snagged it last.

If its not 100% to the "correct" TIE Blue, then its 99.98%, IMNSHO.

Its what I'm doing my bomber and my soon to FINALLY have Interceptor in as well. Looks good on certain X-wing cockpits too . . .

Though, I do have to say, for me a standard TIE REALLY should be in the grey, ESB and ROTJ not withstanding.

Its a handy color to have a few extra cans laying about of . . . and we all know how they LOVE to discontinue the colors we actually like and use, so stock up while ya can.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. I'll be going to Home Depot in the morning. I was actually looking at their paint last night, and wondered.... Now, I know. :D

The ESB TIEs fly straighter. I'm sure it's because of the color... ;)

<div class='quotetop'>(Tony @ Sep 30 2006, 11:07 PM) [snapback]1329551[/snapback]</div>
I don't think there is a correct color that will satisfy anyone.
I sort of prefer the cold bluish tint to the TIE hulls rather than plain old light gray.

ta_trio_07688.jpg

I did these TIES a few years ago. It's a mix of Tamiya Medium Blue, Testors Light gray and Tamiya white. I wish I could remember in what proportions I mixed the paint.
[/b]

My favorite Agustin display.

Welcome Tony.

Jerry

P.S. for my ANH TIE, I used:

Rustoleum Grey Primer # 7582

It is a light grey with a very slight cool temperature to it that really nails the look of the ANH TIEs to me...

TIE_FRONT_3.jpg

JV

The ESB ties were painted with pactra paint and try as I might none of this stuff exists anymore. Lorne Peterson told me the color but it's useless since you can't get the paint anymore.

My local hobby shop has a clearance bin with a bunch of old Pactra paints. What's the color, I can check and see if they have it. :)

I might be able to help. During my recent move, I discovered my old Star Wars card collection. They're all in a binder in special mylar album pockets.

The card number is 311 from the orange series ( fourth series ). It shows several X wings, a couple of Y wings and one slate blue TIE on the bench with Gawley, Peterson and some of the other 'old heads' from the Van Nuys warehouse. I'll scan that puppy tomorrow and post it.

<div class='quotetop'>(Hand Solo @ Oct 12 2006, 04:12 AM) [snapback]1336535[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(imaginager @ Oct 11 2006, 08:52 PM) [snapback]1336529[/snapback]
Much appreciated.
[/b]

I didn't want to wait.

ANHTie.jpg

[/b][/quote]

I remember that picture.

But you have to consider, the blue tone is apparent in the whole picture, it has a cold look to it, if you adjusted that picture in photoshop to reflect the real lighting in there with more accurate skin tones on the modelmakers, you'd probably see that ANH TIE is less blue than it seems in this picture. I tried doing it using the guy with the beard in front as my target, otherwise look, everyone's skin has a sick yellow tone. For example:

ANHTieadjusted.jpg

Now the TIE is looking much more grey...

Just something to consider. I'm sure the TIEs were blue in ESB and ROTJ from the magic of myth exhibit, but seeing the color of Vader's TIE from that exhibit, you would imagine the standard TIEs would match the grey color of his TIE.

The thing about the color I like that I found for my TIE is that it is a cool grey and has a blue tone to it in the right lighting conditions. Going with another off the shelf grey, which I tested, looked completely wrong. I was trying to reflect the look of the ANH TIE as seen on screen under studio lights in my picture a few posts up.

JV

OK guys... the VAders TIE was painted the same color as the TE Fighters in a New Hope. The base color is grey. The trim is dark grey. Krylon stopped making the equiment grey primer that was the base color but walmart sales a colorplace brand Grey Primer that is perfect for the standard ANH TIE Fighter. The trim pieces are Krylon Grey primer (Dark Grey)

Ive got some really good shots of vaders TIE and its grey there is not even a hint of blue to be found and on screen the TIE's all look the same color.

There is no doubt in my 8 years of research that the ANH TIE's were painted Krylon Equipment grey primer (discontinued in 1979) The above Walmart brand is the clostest i could find using chip samples from Vaders TIE.

The ESB TIE is also an out of production (Mid 80's) Krylon Slate Blue color. Ryan has found a color that matches but only comes in satin so it has to be dulled down with dull coat. The trim pieces match the Krylon grey primer color.

ROTJ Interceptors were painted with the Krylon slate blue OOP and the details were painted with Krylon grey primer. The only change was the canopy it was painted flat black.

Thats my two cents on painting TIE fighters.. it may be right... then again it may be wrong but its the closest I could come up with. In the end find what you like and recreate it the best way you can. Do tests and see what works and what doesnt. A TIE your happy with is all that really matters.

Steve

When Lee and I spoke with Lorne Peterson....the question about the color of the TIE came up...he said they were all painted the same color. Empire, SW, Jedi. All the same. I have the color written down in my notes. Will try and dig it up. For what its worth.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back